Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Don't underestimate the cold. 31y/o woman died from the cold this week in Zion.

Sometimes when I follow ultralight gear threads, (not necessarily on this forum), I am concerned with how light some people go. Sometimes it is acceptable, but a miscalculation in conditions can really go bad.

I'd be curious to know just what kind of gear this couple was relying on in high altitude desert this time of year.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...band-rescued-after-suffering-hypothermia

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s obvious they grossly underestimated and were wholly unprepared for what was moderately cold temps. It was in the mid 20’s at worst, even down in the canyon they were in. Any halfway decent 40 degree sleeping bag with their clothes on, inside a tent without a ton of mesh, would keep a person plumb toasty.

This summer some people outside of Aspen backpacked up near timberline in what appeared to be cotton t-shirts and jeans during a cool, rainy week and had to be rescued. Their excuse was “It wasn’t this cold when we left Texas”.

I continually see people during spring, summer, and fall 3 miles in on hiking trails with nothing more than shorts, synthetic t-shirt and a water bottle—and of course a cell phone.

Being wholly unprepared for when things don’t go according to plan helps improve the species…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Then there's food. for an overnighter in the cold, a couple granola bars don't cut it. Couple that with inadequate thermal gear, and you're in trouble.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
People are impressive and as stated it doesn't even take really cold weather to kill you. I have hiked, game always involved, wearing lightweight stuff, but I have fleece/wool in the pack to change to when things slow down.

Cotton is a killer for sure.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Then there's food. for an overnighter in the cold, a couple granola bars don't cut it. Couple that with inadequate thermal gear, and you're in trouble.

Spot on. Couple granola bars per hour maybe.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Zion Narrows is a classic canyoneering route that often requires partial immersion in the river. There is a ton of info available on gear requirements for different conditions but getting wet often is a game changer at this time of year. Mother Nature doesn't care so doing your homework prior to "adventuring" is probably a good idea.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tough deal. Be nice to get some more details for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likely no ability to ignite a fire.

Earlier this fall a couple fishermen planned a day long, 5-mile downstream venture. About five as the crow flies, but about 17 as the river meanders. They endured a cold night, and were found about 5 miles down their planned run late the next afternoon. No food and no fire made for a couple of really grouchy anglers.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/27/22.

1Minute
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Some of these places now prohibit making a fire on the ground. That would likely let some decide not to bring along any fire-starting kit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Some of these places now prohibit making a fire on the ground. That would likely let some decide not to bring along any fire-starting kit.

You're probably right but not if they actually thought about why fire starting materials should be part of emergency gear. I remember many years ago I bought an "Outside" magazine to read on an airplane. They had an article on what to do if you get hypothermic, and they actually said you should start a fire but keep the twigs to pencil-sized or less to lessen impacts on the environment. I sent them a letter to the editor telling them they needed to retract/correct that, becuase if people get hypothermic all that BS goes out the window. They never responded, I'm sure they didn't run the letter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you're getting hypothermic, twigs are BS. They don't warm up anything. You want an inferno and you NEED it now. Make it big enough so they send in the fire fighting crews. Better yet, build 2 infernos and sit between them. Screw the greenies. They're idiots.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I’ve been in plenty of survival classes over the years where hypothermia deaths are talked about. And what the rescuers typically find. They either were completely underdressed and had zero knowledge or there might be more to the story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always take extra clothes that you don't need.

Canyoneering seems to be needing some sort of wet/dry suit and a puffy.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.