Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I don't have any children and only 2 nephews who are interested in firearms, so I am sure more of these will go down the road for other people's enjoyment before too long, just so my wife doesn't have to deal with all of it when I kick the bucket.

I'm in the same boat, but I may out live my wife (she is 5 years older than me). Then what?? I guess I'll set up an auction company to sell them all and The Second Amendment Foundation will get the proceeds.

I usually sell guns after I've killed something with it. For some reason after the gun has blood on it, I lose interest in it. The customs I keep and maybe use again or maybe not.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Several years ago, Mrs. Featherweight instituted a strict "No Sell" policy. She got tired of me complaining about guns I had sold.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gibby
A wise old man told me to never sell a gun. You will regret it. I listened.
Plus 1

I’ve sold a few and usually regretted it. Handguns don’t take up any room and rifles and shotguns don’t take up much. I can’t see selling them. I have a lot more that I seldom shoot or have never shot than ones that I have shot but it still doesn’t keep me from wanting more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't regret selling any of them. With that being said, I have not sold too many. I really enjoy buying them and fine tuning them. Squeezing the most precision out of them. I've gotten lucky this year and out of the 10 or so rifles I've bought, I have made them all shoot well within 1 moa at 100 yards. When I have sold a rifle, it is generally when a friend has a need for one, so I know it is going to a good home. Eventually there comes a time in your life when you are doing more selling than buying. I'm still in the buying and enjoying time of life. Things will change as you get older, maybe forcing you to sell some or all of your collection. Lets just hope that time is far from now....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Never been “that” bored. In 55 years I’ve only gotten rid of two…..and regret only one of them. But, we don’t have very many either! Pretty selective, thoughtful, and restrained about what we purchase! memtb

I like when you post because you are a little different than the rest of us. You are simple when it comes to rifles. You are like that guy they warn us about: "Beware of the man with 1 gun, he just might know how to use it"... While the rest of us are really rifle "loonies". My collection is probably very meager compared to a lot here, but I see it as a 401K or savings plan. I know other guys have said the same thing in the past. So, to answer the OP's question about getting "bored". I buy, not sell when I get bored... ha ha.. There is just so much that can be done to a rifle to make them better, so that keeps the boredom away for the most part.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad always treated his guns like his dogs. For life.
Kind of stuck with me.
I did sell H&R handy rifle because it didn’t shoot well. I think it was due to twist. That was before I knew that kid of stuff matters. I also sold a nice stainless howa to a buddy in 223. He won’t sell it back to me.

Last edited by Dre; 11/27/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never feel guilty about not using them and I seldom sell unless I find myself with too many of one thing, need room for something different and new to me, or it is clear that someone wants them more than I do. Once they've been cleaned and oiled they don't require much upkeep, so keeping them even if I don't use them or particularly want them anymore doesn't seem like a wrong answer.

There are certainly firearms that I regret selling, but what's done is done.

Hindsight is always 20/20, foresight not much.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Binge and purge. Sucks but it happens. I once on this site went from 17 CF rifles to just 3, but now I am over 25 or more……true sickness since i only shoot one at a time.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I could not afford to keep everything, so I rolled them over fairly often. Learn them, load them, shoot them, trade them. I think I have just about covered every major military small arm from Spanish American and Boer war through WW2. The history lesson was almost as much fun as the weapons.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I think I'm going to sell my Mauser M12 Impact .308. I just don't need it, and don't use it. I actually have my Mauser m12 30-06 listed now on Michigan gun Owners. if it sells, it sells.

The older I get, I can do everything with my Encore.

I might regret selling both Mausers but doubt it. They just sit in the safe. I don't use them.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/s...SER-M12-30-06-Used-HOWELL-1300-No-Trades

That exact rifle is the reason I thought about making this post. My Impact 308 was a perfect rifle. It shoots very well and handled beautifully. I sold it and have regret. Only reason is I ended up with (3) 308’s and decided the other two I just wouldn’t want to part with. M7 MS and Montana…

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B3

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dre
My dad always treated his guns like his dogs. For life.
Kind of stuck with me.
I did sell H&R handy rifle because it didn’t shoot well. I think it was due to twist. That was before I knew that kid of stuff matters. I also sold a nice stainless howa to a buddy in 223. He won’t sell it back to me.

Haha. I did that with a 700KS in 270. Matter of fact he’s on this thread. It was possibly one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned🤦🏻‍♂️

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Several years ago, Mrs. Featherweight instituted a strict "No Sell" policy. She got tired of me complaining about guns I had sold.

Mine tells me to buy what I want, especially stuff that I use on the range as opposed to off in what passes for the wild here. Selling finances the buying anyway, for the most part.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My father had the same believe that you don't sell unless somebody will pay two times what you think the value is. I do trade up. I am constantly looking for kitsch rifles. Kind of like Stephen King books. I need more of those. 80-90% Aborts, Remington 700s, savage bolt rifles, Remington 600s/660s that I happen into for 250-450 dollars. I get about 15-20 of those and they allow me to punch upwards to get something really good in trades. I think sometimes really nice rifles are hard to sell for small shops. I have missed deals because I don't have enough of the trade fodder. I missed on a Winchester 1895 Deluxe takedown in 3003 that I could of obtained for 1500 in trades but was low on them. Heck last week, I missed on a Pre64 Model 70 Standard that was refinished for 900 with a VXII 4-12 Leupold scope because I didn't have trade fodder and had bought a 1949 Winchester 94 in 30-30 for 550.00 the weekend before.

Do I feel regrets about some of those trade rifles? Yes, but I get more satisfaction out of the 1952 Steyr MS Deluxe 30/06 with a Nickles and Marburg Scope than the Sako 85 laminate Wolf 375HH that I traded for it. I will be able to find other Sako 85s but not so much for the Steyr. I have three other 375s so that isn't a problem. I remember about 15 years ago when I saw all these old guys snuggled around lever action Winchesters at gun shows like they were cozily sipping hot toddies around a campfire with chiteating grins and I thought they were a bit nuts. Now I see their point of view and wish I would have arrived on that level of enlightenment 10 years ago. When we were looking for a house, we looked at about 15 houses and then we found this house that had two rooms that were reinforced on three sides with concrete and rebar that were off the blueprints and were completely underground and I didn't say anything but put in an offer. I have been at working on filling up the first room and installed a steel vault door on the first. The beeroom with 65,000 bees is one room from there so we will find dead burglars if they try to bust in. I am about two thirds way to completely fill room 1 up and then I have another room to go. I will be retiring in a year or two and then I will have to probably cut back on gun purchases.

I get great satisfaction from the history of the search on guns. It is great to learn about elements of different guns and find the connections. I have done this more than just purchase guns. I will try to sell guns for gun shops if I am interested in them. I do this because when the gun is sold I am no longer tempted by the gun. This has backfired. There was a CZ550 American Safari High Grade in 458 Lott that had nice figure that I got 3 different people to put on layaway then they would cancel because of angry wives. The last time it was cancelled it went home with me. Its not going to go anywhere now.

I need some more levers and probably head down that rabbit hole of LC Smiths, Parkers, and Fox Shotguns but I need to slow down the accumulation cycle and spend more time staying directed towards getting classic customs from the 60s, 70s and 80s and focus on this.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb
Never been “that” bored. In 55 years I’ve only gotten rid of two…..and regret only one of them. But, we don’t have very many either! Pretty selective, thoughtful, and restrained about what we purchase! memtb

I like when you post because you are a little different than the rest of us. You are simple when it comes to rifles. You are like that guy they warn us about: "Beware of the man with 1 gun, he just might know how to use it"... While the rest of us are really rifle "loonies". My collection is probably very meager compared to a lot here, but I see it as a 401K or savings plan. I know other guys have said the same thing in the past. So, to answer the OP's question about getting "bored". I buy, not sell when I get bored... ha ha.. There is just so much that can be done to a rifle to make them better, so that keeps the boredom away for the most part.

Thanks BSA…..I think! 😉 Or……did you just say that I’m a “simpleton”! 😂 I’d like to think that I’m a fair rifleman, but I’m nowhere in the class with some of you folks!

Having a lot of firearms is very much like a good 401 K, and as of late…..value growing exponentially!

I’d really like to have more, and build more accuracy/satisfaction loads for new firearms…..but truthfully, I simply don’t have the time and am too cheap to burn components!

Confessions of a “wanna be” rifle looney! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
after seeing what some of the remington and ruger rifles in certain cartridges bought recently i wish i had never sold a rifle....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I could not afford to keep everything, so I rolled them over fairly often. Learn them, load them, shoot them, trade them. I think I have just about covered every major military small arm from Spanish American and Boer war through WW2. The history lesson was almost as much fun as the weapons.

Pretty much me too. My milsurp era ended a couple decades ago, except my M1903 Springfield collection - they are "cold dead hands" guns. I was neck deep in Savage lever guns for a long while (it's what led me to the 'Fire) but I eventually got bored with them and most have been sold. Nowadays it's mainly single shots in many iterations.

I get bored easily, not just with guns but with cars (and women too, but we won't go there). Once I've acquired something, learned its history, and shot the bejesus out of it I get bored with it and away it goes to support the addiction. Just like the string of women I've gone through in my life, I guess.

Not many have been regretted. A certain M1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer .257 Roberts is one I'm still kicking myself in the ass over, 30+ years later. Another one was a minty pre-war Mauser commercial sporter with cocking knob peep sight and Zeiss scope in claw mounts, 7x57. And then there was Doris, whom I shoulda married back in '86, and didn't.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by d500lnn
How many of y’all are guilty of selling rifles you really like(almost all of them) when you get bored or feel guilty for not using them? I do it every year and every time I regret selling….but how many rifles can you actually use?

I can think of 10-15 rifles off the top of my head I wish I’d kept..
The story of My life! 😆.....Hb

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My 92 year old friend and benefactor has been a gun loony all his life, with a collection that would impress the most jaded denizen of the 'Fire - handguns of every description, high grade shotguns- target and sporting, .22 rifles both target and sporting, and hunting rifles. He proudly proclaims he has never sold a gun in his life, and I believe him. He still has stuff he bought as a kid. Jesus, how can a guy do that??? If you see me selling a bunch of vintage treasures you'll know what happened - he has no family whatsoever, and I'm the heir apparent.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't sell any of my guns, I give them to kids, grandkids, or friends. I love seeing them being enjoyed by others.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I retired in 2015 I thought of selling a bunch then realized all three of my sons are firearms enthusiasts and hunters. If I sold the funds would go into a Fidelity account for their inheritance... Cash or a fair pile of stuff they will likely not see for sale 30 years from now. Now nothing is for sale and the trust for the firearms reads, "three straws, pull, select and rotate...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 70 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.