Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
This hunting season I used, for the first time, this bullet on game and killed three deer with it. Overall, performance was good, but on the last animal taken (a large mule deer doe) the performance was a bit of a surprise.

I was using this bullet in a .25/06 at a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps, and the deer was hit from broadside just behind the shoulder at about 225 yards. The bullet went in between ribs and showed NO expansion on the inside wall of the rib cage where it entered; however, when it impacted the lungs and liver the expansion was about what you would expect and these organs were demolished. The exit hole was good but not excessive with a diameter of about 1.25".

To me, this performance seemed to be very much like that of the Berger VLD's that Mule Deer has described in his writings.

What do some of you think? Is this a common occurrence with other HP's. Have any of you had a similar experience with this bullet?

Thank you,

M. Bell

Last edited by Ten_Sleep; 11/07/07.

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're refering to the 25 cal Sierra 120gr HPBT, sounds like it performed as advertised! wink cool

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Sandman,

Sorry to be so spaced-out and stupid! Now you know it was not a Sierra. Perhaps you've had some experience with the Hornady.

Thanks for setting me straight,

M. Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
How do you know the bullet expanded at all if it wasn't recovered?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Miner,

If the bullet had not expanded, I don't think the extensive damage to lungs and liver would have occurred, and besides the exit hole was at least 1.25" in diameter. Also, the deer was down within 10 yards of where she was standing when shot. Based on these factors, I have to assume the bullet did indeed expand.

Thanks for your query and intrest,

M. Bell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess I'm a little confused regarding Sandman's comments. The bullet was the Hornady HP and not the Sierra HPBT, correct? Both bullets are excellent IME, BTW.

If I understand correctly, the bullet entered the chest wall without contacting a rib, so there would not be much resistance there to initiate expansion (skin plus a little muscle tissue?). But there was plenty of damage to the internal organs and the exit wound indicate reasonable expansion. Sounds like good performance to me.

FWIW, I did read on some internet forum that if the hollowpoint on the Hornady is dinged up, the bullet can pencil through. Haven't ever seen that myself, but I do tend to look at the points of the bullets before I load them to go hunting.

Can you describe the performance of the Hornady's on the other deer? thanks

BTW: there must be a good story regarding the source of the name of Ten Sleep, WY???

Last edited by southtexas; 11/07/07.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Normally I use the Sierra but have used the Hornady in one 25/06 without any problems. As long as they put game down as you describe, I would continue to use the bullet. I seem to remember reading that the bullet was developed so Joyce Hornady could use her 25cal to hunt elk, but that is just from memory and not quoteable.Rick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ten_Sleep,
Your not stupid, you just omitted the brand of bullet. wink
Sorry I've no personal experience with the Hornady version of 25 cal 120gr hpbt, I use the Sierra.

Hornady followed Sierra's lead by producing these Hollow Point Hunting bullets with a heavier/stouter jacket, much like the HPBT GameKing.

P.S.
Sounds like the hunting has been good for you in the Worland/Ten Sleep area.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
re: 120 Gr Hornady. I shot 3 deer total with the bullet in a 25-06 and a full dose of RL 22. None over 110 lbs. First 2, bullet hit chest slightly quartering and expanded immediately on near chest wall, did extensive damage internally and exited with maybe inch, inch and a half hole. Third deer I shouldn't have shot at but did. Had just missed a doe by hitting an unseen limb and a small spike about 80 lbs went trotting thru my shooting lane quartering sharp away about 100 yds. Swung crosshairs thru and it looked so good the trigger got pulled before I realized it. Bullet unfortunately smacked him square in the hip joint. When he finally got up another thru the chest finished it. But the bullet in the hip had an entry hole the size of a silver dollar (blowback I suppose) and neither bullet nor bone penetrated the body cavity. Everything stopped in the ham and I only found parts & pieces of jacket/lead. After that I started loading 100 gr. Barnes and if I load anymore I'm going to the 115 gr. FWIW.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Normally I use the Sierra but have used the Hornady in one 25/06 without any problems. As long as they put game down as you describe, I would continue to use the bullet. I seem to remember reading that the bullet was developed so Joyce Hornady could use her 25cal to hunt elk, but that is just from memory and not quoteable.Rick.

Actually the Hornady 120 Gr HP was developed for the 257 Weatherby for velocitys in the 3300FPS which would make it fine for the 25-06.

My T/C pro hunter 25-06 with 28" barrel shoots it at 3094. smile

Actually Joyce Hornady was the founder of Hornady and a "man"
who was accidently killed in a plane crash flying into New Orleans for the 1981 SHOTSHOW. His plane crashed into Lake Ponchatrain (sp.) along with several other Hornady people on board.

Doc

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 11/07/07.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I used this bullet a lot in the .257 Weatherby. It is a very good game bullet. There isn't much I would not trust it on in the US.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
S. Texas,

Based on what I have picked up on this thread and after re-evaluating my own limited experience with this bullet, I really think the bullet is fine for the way I am using it, but just a bit stouter than I assumed it would be.

As far as the other two deer go, only one is pertinent because the other was a close range neck shot. The one worth noting was hit high in the left shoulder as she stood somewhat facing me at a distance of about 100 yards. The bullet broke this shoulder as well as the spine and exited the right rib cage without leaving an excessive exit hole. Like I said, it is probably a bit tougher than I expected.

Our little town (pop. 311) is located at the confluence of two creeks that, in time past, was used by Indians of various tribes as a temporary camp. This camp was halfway between two more permanent large camps -- one near what is now Casper on the Platt River and the other on the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone River in what is now south-central Montana. The distance to either of these larger camps from the smaller temporary camping place was referred to by the Indians as "ten sleeps" -- the number of "sleeps" it took to make the journey either way. Probably, it was an eleven day trip that required "ten sleeps." Hope I explained this clearly enough to make it understandable!

Thanks for the interesting response and good insght,

M. Bell

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Aussie,

Thanks for the info concerning this bullet being used in the .257 Weatherby. Doctor Encore also pointed this out, and previously I was not aware this was the case. Sounds like it should hold up fine on most anything I will hunt here in Wyoming. It's good to hear from someone who has had a lot of experience with the subject at hand.

Thanks again,

M. Bell

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Ten_Sleep
Aussie,

Thanks for the info concerning this bullet being used in the .257 Weatherby. Doctor Encore also pointed this out, and previously I was not aware this was the case. Sounds like it should hold up fine on most anything I will hunt here in Wyoming. It's good to hear from someone who has had a lot of experience with the subject at hand.

Thanks again,

M. Bell

Also tried the 90gn HBBT Sierra and found it to be anything but a varmint bullet and it too, shot and killed well in the Wby case. I know we are premium bullet mad these days, but some of the standards perform very well and offer more shooting for for the money. Practice makes for improvement in bullet placement and rifle control, which is why the cup and cores still have a place.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TS: Thanks for your reply. Your results are similar to mine. Just took an average (read small) Hill Country doe this morning. Took her quartering toward me at about 90 yards. 257AI, MV at about 3050. Bullet broke her shoulder, chest cavity was liquid, and there was a 2" exit hole behind the ribs. Needless to say, she dropped like an old rag. I think it's a good bullet...premium performance at cup-n-core price.

BTW, thanks for the history lesson on your town's name. Sounds like what I expected. I bet it's a great place to live!!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
S. Texas,

Thank you! Because of the really pertinent information supplied by you, AGW and the others who posted on this thread, I learned a great deal about a bullet I was trying on game for the first time. You can be sure I will be using it on more game in the future.

Thanks again,

M. Bell

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
AGW,

I also have found the 90 grain Sierra to be a very tough hollow-point. I have shot it quite a bit in my custom .250 Savage at about 3050 fps. At this velocity, it does not expand quickly enough to be a viable varmint bullet, but it makes a really good load for pronghorns - I have killed several with this bullet loaded in this cartridge.

Thanks again for your very useful information,

M. Bell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a conversation I had with Hornady customer service guy a few years back, he related to me that the bullet was designed to hold up to elk hunting using the .257 Weatherby and .25-06. Once I get all the other projects out of the way, I am going to shoot these against the Sierra, TSX, and the NP looking for a heavy bullet load for my .25-06. Any one should be good for Wisconsin whitetail, even the 300 pounders we get up nort' and in the corn belt.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent! I'll be looking forward to the results of your study. Can you throw the 120gr Speer Hot Core in the mix, as well? grin

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Fast Ed,

Thank you for the further insight into usefulness of the 120 grain Hornady HP. I hope, that after you are through with your 25-06 heavy bullet test, you will post the results on this website. I, for one, would be most interested in what you find out.

At the present my "heavy bullet" 25-06 load is the 120 grain Nosler Partition, 51 grains of IMR4831, WLR primer and W-W case; this gives about 3000 fps. in my 23" barrel. I have killed several pronghorns and deer as well as one elk (big cow) with this load with good results and no problems. However, when I consider the present cost of the Partitions, and in light of the fact that when the 120 grain Hornady is substituted for the Nosler in the above load, both loads have the same practical point of impact out to 300 yards, I have no doubt I will use the Hornady a great deal in the future.

Thanks again for the good info,

M. Bell

Last edited by Ten_Sleep; 11/13/07.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.