Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Fantastic book about University of Washington rowing team and their quest to win at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. I didn't think a book about rowing would keep my attention but this was a very exciting, well written history book

GB2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Poot_Carr
Fantastic book about University of Washington rowing team and their quest to win at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. I didn't think a book about rowing would keep my attention but this was a very exciting, well written history book

Read that years back….truly a good read.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
K
K
Great book! I've listened to it on audible twice now-the narrator did a great job.

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great read even if you have no rowing blood in you. i rowed out of the cornel boathouse through high school (poughkeepsie) and continued on out of the marist boathouse in college. proud to say the nine boys in my boat won a national title in 1972, had a fifty year reunion and are the closest group of athletes you will ever meet to this day! george clooney has the movie rights to the book, visited campus (not selected for movie location) and is in production as we speak..My seven surviving teammates and i are counting the days till the premier.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Poot Carr: That indeed was/is a fantastic book!
In fact it was a New York Times "Best Seller" and "Book of the Year" by two other prestigious Academic Societies.
I loved that book and related very closely to the humble beginnings of most all the rowers and their parents.
I was born within rock throwing distance of the lake the University of Washington Crew trained in and lived thereabouts for 50 years.
Eventually I became a Seattle Police Officer and when I had enough seniority I applied to work the Harbor Unit and after a time I qualified and was accepted there.
I worked the graveyard shift and at first light the University of Washington crews could be seen rowing their guts out in the cold damp air most every day.
That 1936 Olympic Gold Medal winning "shell" was on display in the University of Washington Crew Boat House.
I have seen and admired it many times in the distant past (last time 1997).
I constantly admired the dedication those young crew members displayed in their training and in their many competitions that I saw and worked at.
I have loaned my copy of "Boys In The Boat" to numerous friends and relatives and to a person they all agreed on what an absolutely outstanding book it is.
Stroke, stroke, stroke!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.