Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nytimes
A navigation app that illuminates public land within privately held property has supercharged the question of who gets to go where.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/26/business/hunting-wyoming-elk-mountain-access.html

This article has something for everyone to hate.

• it is long
  • it is from the New York Times
  • mentions out of state hunters
  • mentions wealthy out of state landowners
  • mentions OnX
  • mentions BHA
  • mentions "corner crossing"

does have some great pictures and some interesting arguments (positions)

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no treassing signs at the property corners, so you can't "step across"

[Linked Image from static01.nyt.com]

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I see both sides of this situation. If I had enough money to buy the private land around public, I would. And I'd keep people out. If I was that rich, I'd also land a helicopter in the other public islands just to annoy the private land owner around it. This happens in the midwest with lakes. The lakes are public, but all the land around the lake is private limiting lake access. As a tax payer, I think it's wrong. It's public land, and should have public access.

What really bothers me, is when a corner of public land touches more public land. It is possible to step over a corner, or two adjoining corners without stepping on private land. As a land owner you own the LAND, not the air above it. So as long as a foot does not step on the private land you are not trespassing, despite what some landowners think.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by nytimes
A navigation app that illuminates public land within privately held property has supercharged the question of who gets to go where.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/26/business/hunting-wyoming-elk-mountain-access.html

This article has something for everyone to hate.

• it is long
  • it is from the New York Times
  • mentions out of state hunters
  • mentions wealthy out of state landowners
  • mentions OnX
  • mentions BHA
  • mentions "corner crossing"

does have some great pictures and some interesting arguments (positions)

You forgot:

*2,000 lb bull elk
*Buzz H

I thought it was a pretty good article...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here, the farmers sell their worst, hilliest property to the state. The state makes it part of a state forest, but nobody (except the farmers) can access it except the farmers who's property surrounds it.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I see both sides of this situation. If I had enough money to buy the private land around public, I would. And I'd keep people out. If I was that rich, I'd also land a helicopter in the other public islands just to annoy the private land owner around it. This happens in the midwest with lakes. The lakes are public, but all the land around the lake is private limiting lake access. As a tax payer, I think it's wrong. It's public land, and should have public access.

What really bothers me, is when a corner of public land touches more public land. It is possible to step over a corner, or two adjoining corners without stepping on private land. As a land owner you own the LAND, not the air above it. So as long as a foot does not step on the private land you are not trespassing, despite what some landowners think.

Actually land owners do own the air directly above the property.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I ever won the lottery, I'd retire and buy a helicopter and hire a pilot. Then, I'd offer to take hunters all over the state of Montana to landlocked state land and BLM land and just watch people's heads explode.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just this fall I saw a plane land on BLM land that was otherwise blocked in by private posted land. It was a Super Cub. The guy you his bull elk.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
You see a lot of that in Wyoming. Especially over the past 20 years or so many large ranches/properties have been sold to “out of staters”, that immediately close BLM/NF access roads that have been used for many years! 🤬 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Including the Supreme Court? with 5 conservative justices? 3 of them appointed by Trump?

there was no evidence in Maricopa county, the Republican Senate wanted to find it and couldn't. (spent $2 million looking for it)

The Governor, R, would have loved to have seen Trump elected, he couldn't find it.

The AG, Republican, wanted to see Trump win, he couldn't find it.

The stolen election in Arizona was just like Q-anon, made up

LOL
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Actually land owners do own the air directly above the property.

Interesting, do you charge pilots and airlines trespassing fees?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same thing with water ways in Colorado. As long as you don't step out of the boat and touch the bottom or land on the bank, you can float it.

Most bottom lands and valleys in Colorado are private.Thousands of public land have no access to the public. Sad thing though is a lot of public access is posted illegally and the local authorities turn their head when notified of it

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/29/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How hi would the “air rights” go above private property? The plane I saw this fall made a couple of passes over the ranches then back and forth over the BLM I’m sure looking for a place to land. On those loops the pilot came over the ranches again.
Would the pilot have had to gain a certain altitude then drop in from above? Anyone know?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
no treassing signs at the property corners, so you can't "step across"

I would push those two posts apart and step right between them and carry on.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Osky
How hi would the “air rights” go above private property? The plane I saw this fall made a couple of passes over the ranches then back and forth over the BLM I’m sure looking for a place to land. On those loops the pilot came over the ranches again.
Would the pilot have had to gain a certain altitude then drop in from above? Anyone know?

Osky

In an emergency you are allowed to land anywhere. Otherwise, you must maintain 500' above any person, vehicle, structure, or vessel. 1000' in more populated areas.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm not going to subscribe to the NYT, just to read an article which will only piss me off. I kind of like Wyoming, lived there as a kid (Worland), but now I just drive through and wonder about all the subdivisions springing up all over. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky
While the Supreme Court hasn't explicitly accepted that as the upper limit of property ownership, it's a useful guideline in trespass cases. Therefore, unless you own some very tall buildings, your private airspace probably ends somewhere between 80 and 500 feet above the ground.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2013/07/photographer-george-steinmetz-arrest-how-much-airspace-do-you-own.html#:~:text=While%20the%20Supreme%20Court%20hasn,500%20feet%20above%20the%20ground.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Only a butt fugk like Sycamore would drop a link to New Yawk Times.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as air traffic specific. It's the dividing line is the line delineated by the Federal Aviation Administration as the minimum safe altitude of flight

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
you have the right to USE the airspace above your land, my understanding is it is not protected until you actually use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.