Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What are you guys going to make with this years deer harvest?

I generally cut the chops/ back straps into thirds and grill whole to 135*.
The hearts and the Tenderloins get eaten at deer camp.

I no longer keep just plain Venison roasts, they just don’t get eaten. I turn those cuts of meat into Pastrami and Corned Venison. Now that’s some good schit.

Then it’s to the grinder.

Burger 50-50 with beef
Sausage 50-50 with a pork Butt
Smoked:
Polish
Polish W/Jalapeño
Summer
Snack sticks
Jerky ( ground)
Hot Dogs

Fresh:
Brats
Potato
Holiday
Blood Sausage ( maybe)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last year i made some pastrami.

Turned out well. Will make some more this year.

Want to try summer sausage this year.

I’ll cut up, tenderize and vac pac back straps.

Burger and sausage gets made at the processor.

They make real good smoked / link sausage.

I’ve tried, hate to waste meat trying to get it right….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I usually get jalapeño bologna or summer sausage and keep the backstraps and tenderloin. Also have donated a few to the local food bank.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I usually kill 30+ (Crop Damage stuff for the local farmers/Game Wardens).

Don't really do much with the meat myself (except some backstraps... and chunks for the dogs).

I offer the deer to whoever, but don't get a lot of takers anymore... unless I will process... and I am kinda done with that.

Had a friend that made 1k pounds of "Slim Jims" every year and gifted away, but whiny deadbeats broke him of that chit also...

BUT... I like the way you think Steve...

You have good mix ratios and a great handle on the sausage.

I used to do tons of jerky, but anymore it is Ray and Shark 90%... and lots of fruits.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I grind most of mine these days, but use far less pork for sausage, or fatty beef with the burger.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Backstraps get cut in half and vacuum sealed, the best roasts are kept the same way, the rest of the good meat gets ground. Shanks and scraps get canned.
Part of the burger is earmarked for sausage and pepper sticks. We'll be doing 9 deer next weekend with a neighbor couple. Late season deer will get the same treatment again before putting up the processing equipment for the year.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don’t want schit in my burger so I stay away from beef trim and scraps one can purchase from the local meat shops.

I mix mine with either whole brisket, or who,e Chuck roasts, whichever one is cheaper.

Choice Brisket is $3.98/lb today so I will be using that.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I grind most of mine these days, but use far less pork for sausage, or fatty beef with the burger.

You hunt? 😂😂😂😂

Never seen a pic posted and I been on here 10 years

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

You hunt? 😂😂😂😂

He does, I've hunted with him

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh crap, I forgot, I always can up several quarts of Venison stew.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
1” thick steaks out of backstraps on deer, 1.25” for elk. 3/4” steaks out of the big cuts on the hinds for chicken fry. Football and other tough bigger cuts as well as the necks get wrapped whole for roasts. Front quarters get deboned and trimmed before cutting into 1/2” cubes for tacos, soups, and stir fry. Briskets, lower legs, and anything else that’s tough or gristly gets run through the canner.

We started with the cubing instead of grinding a couple years ago and prefer it now. Simpler with no mixing fat and no grinder cleanup. 80 percent of it gets used for tacos and I prefer the texture over burger.

Tonight I’ll finish up our 3rd deer for the year and finished the bull elk I recently killed this past Wednesday. We probably won’t shoot any more this year but we won’t be buying any meat either. Better than 90 percent of our meals throughout the year are deer and elk or fish my son and I catch and we all enjoy it that way.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

You hunt? 😂😂😂😂

Even when I hacked into his photobucket several years ago, not a single deer pic in it.

So are you the soul that took that pic of him all decked out with his AR, pancho villa bandolier, gunga din snake boots, 4 spydercos out in some pines?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have had a processor do mine for the past several years just due to time (processed my own when I was a poor college kid), but I ordered a LEM grinder yesterday. Will grind all but backstraps and tenders with fatty brisket (the point) at 70/30ish. Processor used that mix and it works/tastes great for everything you would use ground beef for (tacos, burgers, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, etc). Buddy of mine makes jerky out of lean ground meat, and I really like that - I may grind some without any beef/fat added just for that purpose.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For burger grind we started using 30% pork butts. Around here they go on special time2time for 0.99 to 1.29/lb. 30% puts the right amount of fat for sticktogether plus it’s tasty. For tacos, pasta sauce, etc 100% ground venison. For pasta sauce a good dose of I-Talian sausage seasoning when cooking the grind works well.

Shanks are set aside for all day crock pot or slow cook pot roast. Shank chili with the shredded crock pot version is wonderful. If you never long cooked shanks it’ll be amazing to see how all the connective tissues just go away. Adds good collagen to the mix. Rarely do roasts anymore since starting to use shanks.

Loin steak and round steak are sliced appropriately and bagged separately. Tenders usually don’t make it past processing. All the steak and shanks are vacuum sealed. The burger and grind are tube bagged off the grinder 1lb or a little more each. Since we started stockpiling the cheap pork butts we just use that for sausage without venison. But usta do 50/50. If you don’t mix your own sausage seasoning check out Rebel Butcher Supply in MS. Their Breakfast mix is great, Italian is acceptable and they also do Cajun. FYI they use monosodium glutamate. You can order tube bags there at the same time.

Last but not least we bag scrap for the old dog belonging to one of the family land owners. Freeze it in doggy serving size and she just dumps it into a boiling pan. Old Molly loves it.

edit: A few reasons for doing it ourselves vs commercial processor. 1)I know whose deer it is 2)I know what’s in it 3)Got tired of getting a shoebox of meat back for close to a hundred bucks.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
#1 Jerky

#2 More Jerky

#3 Even More Jerky

#4 Probably Even More Jerky

#5 Nevermind

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never mix venison with any other meat.....just grind and package in 1 lb. tubes....cut butterfly steaks with the backstraps....a couple large roast from each hind quarters one from each front shoulder.....

Just never mix any pork or beef in any venison....its very rare I eat any beef or pork....

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't know what the butcher does with it.
Let hungry fuugga,s have it.
Or pencil whip schit and make snausage,, jerky or whatever speciality schit outta it and sells it to rubes to increase his non reported income profit.

DGAF as long as he takes the carcass and I leave with my rack.
Hunted long enough and ate enough deer meat in my life to do what the fuuuk ever I want with what I kill.

What I let walk either goes and grows or gets killed by someone else within their goals....

Just saying.......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

You hunt? 😂😂😂😂

Even when I hacked into his photobucket several years ago, not a single deer pic in it.

So are you the soul that took that pic of him all decked out with his AR, pancho villa bandolier, gunga din snake boots, 4 spydercos out in some pines?
Oh stop being such a meanie.
Mannlicher is part of my inspiration for my new mantra on here since Bin moved the goal post back to unobtanium level to make Oracle now...🥴🥴🥴😡😡😡👎👎👎

And something to the west main access path has got a schit ton of crows assed up right now...

Hmmmm......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Renegade just yards em through the service door at the mess hall in Ft Campbell......hide and all....

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

You hunt? 😂😂😂😂

He's posted pics before.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.