Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm trying to like my Chris Reeves Small Sebenza as a whitetail hunting knife, but I keep remembering back to the days of using my thinner bladed Schmidt & Ziegler stock folder or even my old Gerber bird and trout knife and thinking that it was way easier making the tight under the tail turns with a thinner blade. Am I missing some advantage of having a wider blade drop point hunting knife?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A small Sebenza has a pretty small blade, I think it is interesting you don't like it for dressing a deer.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I won't even use/buy a knife anymore with wider than 1 inch blade, or thicker than 1/8th inch for use on game......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I won't even use/buy a knife anymore with wider than 1 inch blade, or thicker than 1/8th inch for use on game......

Yep 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman

Yep 👊🏻
I agree.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff, That Sebenza should do ok (for a folder). Another choice, if you like a folder, would be one of those new Buck S35V light weight 112 models. A much thinner blade and easily cleaned.
I vastly prefer a fixed blade for processing deer and hogs. A wide blade, like a semi skinner style does great for skinning, but does not work so well on disjointing, clearing the rear end and for reaching up into the neck to cut the wind pipe. I usually use three different knives when working a deer or hog.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

This.

I greatly prefer narrower blades.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
No matter what the product, you gotta have all the options to please everyone.
Some love something for the same reason others hate it.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Bird & Trout pattern in a fixed blade or trapper pattern in a folder are my favorites.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why not??

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They make quick work of tuff chores!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Why not? I suppose for the same reason that they don't make scalpels huge. Not that coring the butt out on a deer is precision surgery, it's just some length and a knife that fits through the pelvic arch would make the job easier.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dude270

This.

As do I - this one from Mr. Miller is an excellent example of that.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by JGray

This.

That’s a nice looking knife. What does he call that model?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought it through Vince M here on the 'fire and he had it listed as a Hackberry drop point. I think Miller has other drop point patterns, so not sure if this is a standard pattern or a one-off.

Last edited by JGray; 12/01/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Blade depth beyond an inch is certainly not necessary and for me less than desirable. I also detest a belly that runs too close to the tip of the knife. That will make a blade act and feel deeper than it is. The bottom blade is 9/10 ish deep and will do it all. I haven’t found anything better. I do find between the two pictured that the extra depth does allow a thinner hollow grind. Which I do like.
I’ve done a lot of work under the tail with that blade with zero issue. You only need an inch of blade for that job.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Windfall: I solved the situation you write about/are concerned about decades ago.
My primary Hunting knife has been the wonderful and wonderfully designed (often copied) Buck Model 317. One of this two bladed folder has THE perfect slender and long blade for removing the end of the digestive canal on everything from Antelope and Black Bear to Elk, Deer, Mt. Goat and Moose.
The other blade is wider and heftier, for use when needed.
I have yet to find/see a better Hunting knife for having along on Big Game Hunts.
Sadly the folks at Buck no longer make this model - I have a lifetime supply that I bought new and some on the used market.
I plan on gifting them to the VarmintChildren and VarmintGrandChildren when the time comes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray

This.

That’s a great lookin’ knife. Love the shape.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from besthuntinggearreviews.com]

This one is pretty handy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This year I used a Benchmade Puukko that I bought off someone here on the fire. It might have replaced the Puma Hunters Pal that was my previous favorite. Partly because it's S30V steel, but the straighter/narrower blade works better for the around the anus cut.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Without a doubt,my favorite
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.