-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad died last December, and it's hell on ya when that's your best friend. He killed a 4 point last November, and I got in the same blind and killed a 4 point with his muzzleloader a couple weeks ago. If he knew I'm sure he would smile. Takes time to adjust, and outta the blue some tears will come along. Keep trucking neighbor, no going backwards.

Romans 5:1
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I made it out. Carried Dad's 760 '06. About 10am after a missed opportunity at a decent racked buck earlier, I took a nice little 8 pt with one of my better/more challenging shots I've ever taken. 165gr Sierra loaded by Dad flopped him over. Gun was deep cleaned, rubbed down with preservation wax, the other 19 shells in the box were taped shut until my 5 y/o is big enough to use "PawPaw's" gun. I shed a bunch of tears, but they felt good

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
🎉🎉🎉🎉

Glad you made it out and made a memory with your father again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Congratulations! I did the same thing with my dads 760 30-06 the year he died.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My late father’s Rem 760 sits in my safe. As an heirloom, it’s not really mine. I’m just the custodian for now. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you started this thread. I think the old scope is bad. I’m sure I’ve got one sitting around that would suffice. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by WMR; 11/27/22.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Well, I made it out. Carried Dad's 760 '06. About 10am after a missed opportunity at a decent racked buck earlier, I took a nice little 8 pt with one of my better/more challenging shots I've ever taken. 165gr Sierra loaded by Dad flopped him over. Gun was deep cleaned, rubbed down with preservation wax, the other 19 shells in the box were taped shut until my 5 y/o is big enough to use "PawPaw's" gun. I shed a bunch of tears, but they felt good

That's great, hope it continues to help you heal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad you went out and got one

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like it happened the way he meant it to. I'm sure your child will appreciate it too when the time comes.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WMR
My late father’s Rem 760 sits in my safe. As an heirloom, it’s not really mine. I’m just the custodian for now. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you started this thread. I think the old scope is bad. I’m sure I’ve got one sitting around that would suffice. Thanks for the reminder.

Ironically, the scope was bad on Dad's when I went to check it a couple weeks ago. In Dad's stash of "just in case stuff" was a Leupold 2-7 that I knew he had got from his best friend. I thought that made it the perfect one to live on Dad's rifle.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Losing your dad and hunting partner will take the air out of your sail for sure. Glad you had the times you did with him.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man I'm glad you got out there and I'm sure your dad was too.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

Atta boy 👍👍👍😉

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sir is…AWESOME!!! Congrats! I think ya done yourself, your Dad, and his rifle proud! “Dusty eyes” and a family legacy firmly added to. I hoped you’d hunt, time in the woods is good for the soul. Well done.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote=WMR]My late father’s Rem 760 sits in my safe. As an heirloom, it’s not really mine. I’m just the custodian for now. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you started this thread. I think the old scope is bad. I’m sure I’ve got one sitting around that would suffice. Thanks for the reminder.

Ironically, the scope was bad on Dad's when I went to check it a couple weeks ago. In Dad's stash of "just in case stuff" was a Leupold 2-7 that I knew he had got from his best friend. I thought that made it the perfect one to live on Dad's rifle.[/quote

Interesting coincidence. My dad’s 760 wore a 2 3/4x 26mm scope. Kollmorgen (sp) or an early Redfield IIRC. It had a post and crosshairs reticle. I have a Burris 2 1/2x with a post that should be a good replacement.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on getting out and taking a Buck.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for sharing,

Dale

This space for rent

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.