Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Deer Camp is now Closed. Season is Over. If you're looking for the short version. That's it. I made it through.

I left early Friday morning for camp with my belly still full of Thanksgiving. I remember thinking on the way down, "This is it! I've done it." I picked up my buck from the Lenoxburg Store on the way. The lady knows me. We bring her several every year. I'd mentioned I'd had Chemo when I dropped off the buck. As we were schlepping the coolers out to the truck, she remarked on how much better I was walking from a week before. I admit I was a bit shaky after getting the deer hoisted and cleared out. I didn't know how noticeable.

I kept having that feeling all weekend. My last sit at Midway. My last walk out in the dark, my last climb up the ladder, and so on.
" This is it! You f'n did it!" I was up on the porch Saturday night, having come from my last sit at Hollywood-- 3 hours of perfect scenery unspoiled by a deer. We're all assembled, and I mentioned this thought I'd been having all weekend.

" . . . so now I'm sitting up here, and the thought occured to me. 'Okay, so what's next?'"

I have to say it was a bit like walking off a cliff. Yikes. I really do have the rest of my life ahead of me.

I have a teleconference with the Cancer Survivors Clinic this week. They do the mop-up. I'm still tottering about, unable to feel my feet. I'm also do back for some more tests, but that's not exactly what I'd want to call a hobby. I'm trying to come with a new hobby. Reloading and shooting have gotten expensive. I'm somewhat limited right now with manual arts, because my finger are numb. I was talking about it with the Shamanic Dream Team over lunch the other day. I told them the best idea I'd come up with so far was public nudity: get to get out and meet people, usually get a free ride home. As I said, I'm still thinking. Ideas are welcome.

So I have to report that thinking "This is it!" was somewhat misplaced. KYHillChick had wrenched her back and was no use to help me schlep my gear in when I got home. I got everything from the truck to the garage in the pouring rain only to have the rain stop and the sun come out. That's life. I was pretty well gassed by the time I got the rifle cases in the house.

Then I had to confront the 50+ lbs of frozen venison I had in the cooler. Somehow that had to get down the basement and into the freezer. I finally decided to break it down into 4 grocery bags and take them down individually, but that meant 4 trips down and back up the basement stairs in fairly rapid succession. When I finally got to the top of the stairs the last time and made it to the recliner, I knew that was it. I'd made it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Determination wins!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! Must feel good.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wow Tennessee deer season runs for another 6 weeks

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glad for you... That is genuine.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Waidmannsheil!!!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hang in there!

Doing great!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shaman got sand!!

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad to hear that you made it thru, congrats on your deer, beating cancer and having a good attitude on life.
I would rethink the whole public nudity thing,...just saying

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shaman- this was so great to hear. Hope you find that hobby. Wish I could help but am still wondering what I want to be when I grow up- wish I knew my calling.

My wife just beat breast cancer. That and she has had half her organs removed over the years- I am sure not all necessary. This is my first year with both my parents gone. Season ain't the same without me sending pics or text to the old man- ya know?

One thing about your story is that it shows how despite all the silly and unnecessary confrontation on this site its original 'campfire' purpose of reaching out and garnering some fellowship
can be felt - so thank you for that.
Koombaya? Sure whatever but glad you are around and thankful for Rick. Every year thanksgiving seems to carry a touch more weight. Not a bad reminder.

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/28/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geezer Grit!

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Shaman, you have become an inspiration to many, especially those who face adversity. Thank you and all the best.

Clifford

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Prayers answered?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great!

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I told them the best idea I'd come up with so far was public nudity: get to get out and meet people, usually get a free ride home. As I said, I'm still thinking. Ideas are welcome.
And this whole attitude is why you're where you're at. Grace, humor, determination, and a sense of humor make all things possible.
May God bless you and yours.

Last edited by shootinurse; 11/28/22.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Outstanding!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1
S
One thing about your story is that it shows how despite all the silly and unnecessary confrontation on this site its original 'campfire' purpose of reaching out and garnering some fellowship
can be felt - so thank you for that.
Koombaya? Sure whatever but glad you are around and thankful for Rick. Every year thanksgiving seems to carry a touch more weight. Not a bad reminder.

+1

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Great news.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I admire your courage and you attitude.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great mental toughness --- outstanding results. Congratulations.

Hugh
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.