Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have never lost one but have come close. I was hunting in the mountains and stopped beside a tree on a steep timbered hillside to rest and get a snack out of my pack. I unshouldered my rifle and leaned it against the tree, took off my pack and rummaged around for my thermos and snack bag. After having some covfefe and a snack I buttoned everything back up and put on my pack and tromped away, leaving my rifle against the tree. It was a good 20 minutes before I realized I was missing an important piece of my equipment. I tried to backtrack but everything looks exactly the same and after about 30 mins I was thinking I would never find it. I had the binocs out scanning up and down and luckily I saw it about 60 yards up the hillside leaning on that tree.

Another instance I had shot an elk and was loading it up with some buddies at the trailhead. Leaned my rifle against the fence and struggled to load up the bull. We got it loaded, had a beer and then took off for the house. 3 hours later I go to get my rifle out of the truck and realized I had left it at the trailhead. I raced back to the place I leaned it and it was still there.

Never found a gun, other than my own.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
BP-B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No, and no.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Found a Ruger 10/22 in a recently plowed field. Must have fallen off the back of the tractor and been run over by the plows. Was pretty wrecked, but I was able to replace all of it with aftermarket parts. Yes, I did try to give it back to the farmer, but he took one look at it and shook his head.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the early 80's I found a 1911 Series 70 laying by a tree when I was grouse hunting. It couldn't have been there very long because there was just a little rust on the slide where it was on the grass. I cleaned it up and still have it.

I also found a old Stevens .22 single shot laying by a tree once. It was beyond saving. It hangs in my garage.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hunting Oregon one year outside our wall tent a Chevy Blazer drove by to start the morning as they drove by somthing slid off the roof.

I went over to where it slid off found a rifle case and rifle.
One of the guys in our group knew which wall tent the Blazer was in so we drove over to it yelled several times then opened there tent put rifle back inside of there tent.

That night we stopped by tent and the owner said he thought he was losing his mind he knew he loaded rifle in truck but when got to his hunting spot it was not there.
He said after a good search he returned to the tent and there it was.

We all laughed only gun i ever found.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not hunting, but I've "lost" a gun or two around the house. I look and look and can't find it, and it shows up two months later in a place I forgot to look.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lose them all the time, but eventually they show up. I need to take less guns when I go hunting...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Back in the late 90’s I found a Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW leaning up against a tree. I lived in a small town, so it wasn’t hard to find out who it belonged to. Took it to his house, handed him the rifle, and he just grabbed it, and shut the door in my face. Didn’t say a word.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No.

Found a couple while working in customer's home. Didn't touch them. Asked the owner if they could put them away until I left.

Same policy with money left out and about. Always assumed I was on camera and didn't want any misunderstandings.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not me but I had a guide client loose a rifle on the trail up the west fork on Crystal Creek east of Jackson Wyoming. I told the guy we would find it on the way back down and there wasn't anyone else around there. I looked every foot of that trail back to camp and never found that rifle. There are at least a half dozen difficult creek crossings up that canyon and I assume the rifle went off the horse at one of those crossings. Every time I went up there I looked for that gun, even in the creek, and never found it. That was in 1980 so if there's anything left of it, it's nothing more than a rusty nub. Not a cheap rifle either. It was a Colt Sauer.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
no , yes mowing the ditch along the highway at my mother's yard. found a little 38 special.. and we're way out in the rural sticks.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Found a Winchester model 62 laying in the road 6 years ago. Just saw a guy going up the road with his tractor & discbine. I figured it may have fallen off his tractor. Boy that thing was skinned up pretty badly. Farmer said that it was his grandfathers.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dove hunting in a combined sorghum field one afternoon I found a 1930s vintage Mdl 12 leaning against a tree.
Contacted landowner and told him about it.
Said it wasn't his and no one else had permission to hunt the place.

Lost one? Nope

Last edited by HTDUCK; 11/28/22.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guy I was with found a Kimber 1911 on Afognak. We asked local PD if they knew of a missing handgun and they weren’t aware of it and the serial number wasn’t on the lost and stolen database, so we kept it. A bit of TLC and it was good to go.

I have found 2 rifles hanging on branches along trails, both having slid out of the scabbard due to the sling grabbing brush as the horse walked by. Both times I found the owner at the trailhead and gave it back.

Never lost one myself. One friend had a revolver fall out of the holster when on a snowmachine. Someone he knew found it and gave it back.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've found my fair share of guns while working. Always a fun phone call.

"Uh, well yeah I'm pretty sure y'all want this one, it was shoved in an old oil drum and doesn't have any serial numbers on it anymore."

I did one time reel in a Glock while magnet fishing in the Potomac.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago a guy here was hunting deer in the desert. He shot a buck and needed both hands to drag it to his truck. He laid his rifle where he knew he could find it and dragged the deer out. Yup, couldn't find the rifle. About 30 years later he was hunting the same area and found it, lying right where he left it. I don't know if it was still usable or not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No, yes...i found an A-5 Browning sticking out of a snow bank. No tracks around it but figured out it had been thrown from the nearby road.

I contacted the local PD and sure enough it was a stolen gun. The PD came and picked it up along with questions as to where and when it had been found! It turned out to be one of about ten guns that had been stolen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never and never.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a pellet rifle leaning against a cottonwood tree where others had catfished along the Snake River

Saw a rifle laying on the edge of Hwy 16 about 30 years ago but by the time we turned around another car had stopped.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope. But I've had a handgun stolen out of my truck years ago. File a police report but nothing has come out of it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.