Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I had not heard of Romani People before apparently same as gypsies? This is an interesting channel featuring translations of cell phone intercepts.

Please don't feed the trolls!
BP-B2

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More here

https://www.youtube.com/@insightsfromukraineandrussia/videos

Link isn't working? Some help?

Last edited by 2ndwind; 11/28/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poisoned vodka. So they shot gypsies that made themselves into enemy combatants. Why should I care?

MAGA
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had always planned to travel "someday" I took good health for granted and had not even applied for a pass port before I had a back injury that has limited my travel to no more than a few hours away.

I got involved with Ham radio through a local club and with their help built a very nice armature radio station. My wife and I have both made friends with people around the World we never would have known otherwise.

The other way of connecting has been through You Tube travel and cooking channels. One of the many channels we watch features Ukrainian country life cooking. A few days ago that couple lost power due to the war. With battery back up they were able to post a clip of themselves walking around their blacked out village and then slicing up a lemon to eat by candlelight. They were both getting sick and that was what they had for medicine.

Maybe that was all propaganda... but I do care when people who seem to just be going about their lives end up suffering. We have given more to a local food bank because some of those people aren't just scamming and being irresponsible

Everybody chooses what they do or don't care about. Living behind a hardened tall wall of "I don't care" seems sad.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I had always planned to travel "someday" I took good health for granted and had not even applied for a pass port before I had a back injury that has limited my travel to no more than a few hours away.

I got involved with Ham radio through a local club and with their help built a very nice armature radio station. My wife and I have both made friends with people around the World we never would have known otherwise.

The other way of connecting has been through You Tube travel and cooking channels. One of the many channels we watch features Ukrainian country life cooking. A few days ago that couple lost power due to the war. With battery back up they were able to post a clip of themselves walking around their blacked out village and then slicing up a lemon to eat by candlelight. They were both getting sick and that was what they had for medicine.

Maybe that was all propaganda... but I do care when people who seem to just be going about their lives end up suffering. We have given more to a local food bank because some of those people aren't just scamming and being irresponsible

Everybody chooses what they do or don't care about. Living behind a hardened tall wall of "I don't care" seems sad.

I guess I'm sad.

I do care to an extent about the suffering of the common man in Uketardistan, same as I do about the pygmies in Congo.

But I care much more about the common man in my own country. I care a great deal about how my money stolen at gun point by my government isn't used to help it's own citizens but rather laundered through Uketardistan and funneled back into the pockets of a few. I find it hilarious how folks are super enlightened about the oligarch situation in Russia, but turn a blind eye to the SAME SHÎT here because their commie masters told them this is the latest virtue signaling requirement for membership in the party.

I feel for the folks you described if their situation is in fact true. I'd feel a lot more supportive if they took out Zalensky and opened the books. Till then? Fûck Kiev and fûck the Ukraine.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putin is doing a better job of destroying his military than NATO ever could. I applaud his efforts and his sacrifice; a job well done.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Un Subsidized Gangst’a ..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Putin is doing a better job of destroying his military than NATO ever could. I applaud his efforts and his sacrifice; a job well done.

Cool. I don't give a flying fück about Putin or his military. I hope he annihilates the Uketardistan government though.

MAGA
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've never served in the military, I've never been in a free fire zone but the vets I've known that have "been there done that" often mention believing they were involved for a somewhat justified cause and having trust in their fellow troops to watch their backs. It helps when they believe their command officers seem to care if they survive too.

It also sounds like being a Russian conscript can suck almost as bad as a Chinese person being welded into a burning building ... Check out some of the other cell phone recordings on that channel. Not sure why I couldn't paste the home page in?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I had not heard of Romani People before apparently same as gypsies? This is an interesting channel featuring translations of cell phone intercepts.

talking on a cell phone during a war so its easier to be targeted by Artillery and drones?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
More here

https://www.youtube.com/@insightsfromukraineandrussia/videos

Link isn't working? Some help?

have you been to the Ukraine and know it's history?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've never served in the military, I've never been in a free fire zone but the vets I've known that have "been there done that" often mention believing they were involved for a somewhat justified cause and having trust in their fellow troops to watch their backs. It helps when they believe their command officers seem to care if they survive too.

It also sounds like being a Russian conscript can suck almost as bad as a Chinese person being welded into a burning building ... Check out some of the other cell phone recordings on that channel. Not sure why I couldn't paste the home page in?

having served in combat you realize quickly you're just cannon fodder and your life has no value. thats true for every army

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No like I posted I've never even had a passport. I've spoken with several Ham operators from the Ukraine and way more of them from Russia. Talking about political propaganda/politics is just something you don't do on the air though.

My dad was stationed in Russia for awhile during WW II and said he really liked some of the people he met there. It was one of the Countries he would have liked to visit during peace time. He had a Russian style winter had that he wore for years.

Have you been to Ukraine? Do you have reason to believe those cell phone recordings are just faked propaganda?

My main interest at this stage of life is learning something about what day to day life is like for people from many different places that I'm not likely to meet in person.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No like I posted I've never even had a passport. I've spoken with several Ham operators from the Ukraine and way more of them from Russia. Talking about political propaganda/politics is just something you don't do on the air though.

My dad was stationed in Russia for awhile during WW II and said he really liked some of the people he met there. It was one of the Countries he would have liked to visit during peace time. He had a Russian style winter had that he wore for years.

Have you been to Ukraine? Do you have reason to believe those cell phone recordings are just faked propaganda?

My main interest at this stage of life is learning something about what day to day life is like for people from many different places that I'm not likely to meet in person.
yep lived and worked in ukraine and Russia 4 years and speak fluent Russian. Ive been to all 15 former soviet republics

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

having served in combat you realize quickly you're just cannon fodder and your life has no value. thats true for every army

I'm glad you made it home. One friend recommended this book to me. I've read it a few times.

Once A Warrior King: Memories of an Officer in Vietnam

David Donovan

The memoir of a young American soldier who became the most powerful man in a remote rural district of Vietnam

In the spring of 1969, First Lieutenant David Donovan arrived in the Mekong Delta of South Vietnam to work as military advisor with village chiefs and local militia to win the war. But as he was the highest-ranking person in the entire district, his life there was far more complex than anyone could have imagined.

This is Donovan's gripping account of combat missions and night ambushes in the swamps and jungles of the Delta; his heartrending tale of personal involvement with the culture and families in his charge; his humane introspection on his awesome responsibility as both warrior and king; and his stark reflections on the changes he saw in himself and his country upon his return to the United States.

"Donovan's memoir . . . provides valuable documentation on a relatively obscure part of the American military effort--it describes how the war really worked on the front line of 'Vietnamization, ' the training of local militia. His reflections on his own use of power raise serious and important questions about the American expierence in Vietnam."--The New York Times Book Review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40502.Once_A_Warrior_King

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Any kin to "Wild Bill" Donovan?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No different guy. I don't read much military history/autobiography stuff but this book was outstanding. A real contrast of honorable service building relationships with local people vs career bureaucrats only interested in their own advancement.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

One of the Ukraine cooking show clips just showed up again in my You Tube feed.... The fact that she never wears a bra isn't the main reason I've been following this channel.... whistle

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Any kin to "Wild Bill" Donovan?

Exactly what I thought....kin of some kind. Be cool if he were!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

One of the Ukraine cooking show clips just showed up again in my You Tube feed.... The fact that she never wears a bra isn't the main reason I've been following this channel.... whistle

Looks good. The food too…..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.