Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
About 6 feet. A 3-point blacktail. It stood up out of a big fern. I had been standing there over a minute.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
While slipping along a trail, a dog spooked a deer over the next hill and it came loping along the same trail I was on. As he was running straight at me thru stuff I really couldn't get a good shot. I was standing between two trees and he was on a collision course with me. I finally fired out of self defense. The 308 bullet caught him just under the left eye and he slid up to where his nose almost touched my boots. I guess he was probably 6-8 feet when the trigger broke. A nice 8 pt....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
None super close. A few deer with rifles and bows between 10 and 12 yards.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Elk…about 10 yards! Though, I did shoot a fox at about 5 feet! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know if hogs are considered big game, but with a knife.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Most definitely yes

They classify turkeys Big Game in Tenn lol

P
Plumdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm new to hogs. Went to a preserve to hunt from treestands, guide showed us video of a guy spearing a big one. Know a lady that knifed one! Not gonna do it, will stick to .44 mag for that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I'm new to hogs. Went to a preserve to hunt from treestands, guide showed us video of a guy spearing a big one. Know a lady that knifed one! Not gonna do it, will stick to .44 mag for that.

Their eyesight isnt great, but have a heck of a nose. Mine hang close to feeder, more than one occasion I ran a test on the feeder and piglets and mama come surround our feet within a minute or two, momma usually dies before she gets too close.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot a whitetail buck while hunting in mountain laurel in PA about 20 years ago. It popped up right in front of me and I just raised the 30-06 and fired. I took 2 steps and stepped on the deer.

The shot went in it’s open mouth and blew out the back of the head. Muzzle blast singer his whiskers.

Muzzle to deer was probably 2 ft.

Last edited by Stammster; 11/28/22.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
About 6 feet from a 6x7 elk at ground level while hunting with a bow and about 8 feet from a mountain goat while hunting with a rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deer at 20-30 feet, lifted its head looking at me over a sage brush, it must have been laying down as I approached.
Never couild find a entrance wound, bullet had to have been between the lips, straight out the back of the head.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Buck about two feet off the muzzle of my rifle. I was at a friends lease and he gave me directions to a stand in the bottom. I couldn’t find the stand in the dark so I just sat down against a tree. Needed to take a dump really bad so started slipping back towards the house. I hadn’t gone too far when the buck came down off the hill and started down the creek in the opposite direction. I couldn’t get a shot but I burped when I tightened up. It was a decent grunt ! The deer stopped dead and turned. Buck came straight to me and I thought he was going to run into me. He stopped two feet from the end of my rifle and raised his head slightly turned with his eye bugged out looking at me. I shot him in the throat looking over the top of my scope.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I shot a cow elk from 6 feet while standing on a high deadfall with a recurve bow. Almost straight down and into the top of the shoulder. Shot a 5 1/2 year old Shiras Moose with .54 cal. muzzleloader from 7 yards.

Antlerless deer, about 3-4 feet from the muzzle. Not sure why she would not look at me / could not see me. No cover, no concealment.

Small 4x4 blacktail .. 12 feet from the muzzle. It was nose-down chasing a doe and she deliberately walked right past me trying to rub him off. (I've seen 'em try to do that using traffic as well.) She went right under my armpit, he got shot through the top of the noggin.

I passed a bear on the trail one time and had the muzzle of the 629 within a couple inches of his head but he never moved, just tracked me with his eyes, so there was no shooting done. That was pretty spooky.

Oh .. closest might be a negative number. One time I grabbed a wounded doe by the ear, shoved the muzzle of my sister's .357 in the ear hole, and pulled the trigger. F-u-c-k-ing near separated my arm into two pieces at the elbow joint. HURT. Made me kinda sick at my stomach. So word to the wise: don't do that. Holding on to things you're shooting at, not with, sucks.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot a bobcat at 5' once. Several deer straight under me with a bow and once with a muzzleloader.
Once while elk hunting I was sitting against a tree and a bull came up and was feeding so close his antler hit the tree trunk I was on the other side of. Shot a cow a minute later at 10 yards. First bear I shot twice, first shot was 25 yards, second shot at 15' and he slid to within 8'. That one had a little pucker factor to it

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
8 point whitetail walking toward me in a hard snowstorm. Decided to see how close he would
come. 7 paces and I decided "close enough". 7x57 130 grain, think trajectory was quite flat.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by mart
20 yards maybe less, on the fight and closing fast. 35 Whelen and 275 grain RN Hornady.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Not big game but called in a coyote and killed him at eight feet and still coming.

You have a twin brother here in Michigan.

I've been told I have doppelgangers in a few states. I was in a bar in Richland, WA one evening when two attractive girls sidled up next to me and each kissed me on the cheek saying, "hi Kevin." The stunned look on my face must have cued them. They both turned red and said, "you're not Kevin are you?" I said I could be. They claimed I looked just like Kevin, whoever he is.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Shot a spike bull and a couple 2 point bucks at less than 10 yards, both with a rifle. I also had a herd of elk jump over the log i was taking a nap behind. They got spooked from another hunter up the hill from me. Luckily i wasn't trampled. It sure did wake me up thou.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
About 10-15 yards to a 4 point for my first deer with a bow.
Two 5X5 bulls, my first bull at 23 yards and another at 25 yards.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Shot a small buck from a tree stand with my bow at 4 feet from the base of the tree. Angle was so steep that it went in behind the near side backstop and came out nearly straight down only getting one lung. My rope had literally been hitting his back a few seconds prior.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 11/28/22.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Big doe at 8-10' with a 243

Gobbler at 10-12' with a shotgun.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/28/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (160user, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.