Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Gave my first round of holiday jerky out to friends down in Tenn this weekend.
#10 worth[after curing/dehydrating].

They all loved it as usual.

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
You're not much of a deer hunter if you haven't learned how to process your own deer, that includes cutting, preparing deerburger, smoking and sausage & jerky making. The 'net is full of info on how to do all of this.

Well, there’s a big difference between not knowing how, and preferring to let someone else do it. I don’t change my oil anymore either, or pull my own pud.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
our last processor pounded and tenderized the steaks (other than tenders) for Chickenfry. Tenders usually get grilled that weekend.

Other than that lots of ground burger, jerkey, summer sausage, snack sticks.

got a bad batch of fat in pork burger once. Couldnt cook it without smelling like piss. Processesor took it back and gave me beef burger instead.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I ate the first hundred deer I’ve killed, earned my patches.

Give the rest to my tenants or food bank.

If i do keep one every other year, I make almost all of it into jerky

And for backstraps…If I don’t jerky them, I’ll make jalapeño cream cheese bacon wrapped bbq deer poppers
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Today I hit the motherload of left over thanksgiving food. 12 ready to bake pie crusts, 15 cans of yams and a bunch of other goodies. Like boiled eggs, celery, stuffing. Nugget

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford

What you marinade / season with ?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You're not much of a deer hunter if you haven't learned how to process your own deer, that includes cutting, preparing deerburger, smoking and sausage & jerky making. The 'net is full of info on how to do all of this.

knowledge and time are two different things. Freezer space till you can get to it is another.

I have a great processor so its worth the time savings. more hunting time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And for backstraps…If I don’t jerky them, I’ll make jalapeño cream cheese bacon wrapped bbq deer poppers

Woot woot!

Hard to beat those…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkmtb

knowledge and time are two different things. Freezer space till you can get to it is another.

That’s me….

I could learn. But how much meat to waste before i get it as good as someone that does it professionally?

Theirs some folks around these parts that make great sausage.

Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Raeford

What you marinade / season with ?

Base:
Soy
Worcestershire
Onion powder
Black pepper[coarse]

Then anything and or everything in the cabinet from cajun seasoning to slap ya mama to tabasco to.......

Nothing better than good spicy deer jerky and cold beer.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s about what i do…

Sometimes throw in a bottle of Tiger sauce.

Spicy Allegro also ( woo weee, Mathman is gonna frown )

Dave

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We don’t trust processors, none of them exhibit the care of the meat that the wife and I do. We keep the backstraps, tenderloins, and shanks. Will save 4-5 packages of chunks for stew or chili. The rest is ground up with either 15% pork or beef fat and packaged in 1 pound tubes.
This year might make a 25 pound batch of summer sausage.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been butchering all my deer for the last 20 years. I can't stand the cuts that you get from the processor not to mention the meat seems to be gameyer. I think they probably don't keep their walk in coolers cold enough to hang deer. Should be just above freezing and no warmer. I do back strips, tenderloin, shoulders, neck, roasts, and burger. The shoulders and neck get smoked and turned into bambique. For back strips and tenderloins, whatever you can do with beef tenderloin, I can do with venison back strips and tenderloins. This last year, I smoked some roasts for a couple of hours until medium rare, let cool, sliced in a deli slicer, and made sandwiches. Put it on a crunchy roll with horseradish sauce and its freakin awesome.

2 Kings 2:23-24
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BubbaG
I have been butchering all my deer for the last 20 years. I can't stand the cuts that you get from the processor not to mention the meat seems to be gameyer. I think they probably don't keep their walk in coolers cold enough to hang deer. Should be just above freezing and no warmer. I do back strips, tenderloin, shoulders, neck, roasts, and burger. The shoulders and neck get smoked and turned into bambique. For back strips and tenderloins, whatever you can do with beef tenderloin, I can do with venison back strips and tenderloins. This last year, I smoked some roasts for a couple of hours until medium rare, let cool, sliced in a deli slicer, and made sandwiches. Put it on a crunchy roll with horseradish sauce and its freakin awesome.
It could be that their meat is gamier because you are not getting your own meat. Mixed with some dumb ass's meat that he left the hide on, the ass hole in, shoved into the back of his truck in warm weather for a few days before he brings it in for processing.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
here since Bin moved the goal post back to unobtanium level to make Oracle now...🥴🥴🥴😡😡😡👎👎👎

Hmmmm......

WTF - We were ORACLES !!

[bleep] should have "grand fathered" us in !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I've done this with goose breast, it's good, but not as good as with venison.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by elkmtb

That’s me….

I could learn. But how much meat to waste before i get it as good as someone that does it professionally?

Theirs some folks around these parts that make great sausage.

Actually, I have found there is far less waste from an amature processing a deer than taking it to a professional. Professionals do it fast and are not going to waste time trying to save small amounts of meat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by BubbaG
It could be that their meat is gamier because you are not getting your own meat. Mixed with some dumb ass's meat that he left the hide on, the ass hole in, shoved into the back of his truck in warm weather for a few days before he brings it in for processing.

There is that too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by steve4102

I've done this with goose breast, it's good, but not as good as with venison.

You can wrap most anything in bacon and its going to taste like bacon. The exception being chicken livers. I was tricked once by bacon wrapped chicken livers. It was a cruel joke. You don't realize its liver until its completely coating your mouth and its too late to spit it out. Bacon works well on ducks, geese, squirrels, and dove. If you really don't want to taste what you are eating then soak in italian dressing and then wrap in bacon. Probably does not work on chicken livers.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The bacon is to hold the cream cheese, and pepper, onion, etc inside the total package.

Not to mask the gamey taste of piss soaked rutting 4 year old buck.

The apple cider and allegro 24 hour marinade take care of that.

but hey, thanks for playing

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If bacon can make squirrel taste like bacon, there is no need for marinade unless you want it to taste like marinated bacon

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.