Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve got the opportunity to hunt one or the other on the King Ranch. If you were given the chance, which would you choose and why?

BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have hunted both and nilgai will give much more of a challenge than oryx. That's with two nilgai and one oryx hunted.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What a neat opportunity! I've hunted neither, but would really like to do a Nilgai hunt myself. In my "research" of it, a Nilgai hunt sounds pretty good. Whichever you decide on, enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An oryx makes for a really nice mount if that's your thing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
People rave about nilgai meat, but I prefer oryx by a pretty wide margin, if that matters at all. Sounds like fun.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot and eaten both and you cannot go wrong with either.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nilgai I think are a little wilder.They can run fast like a deer too.Oryx I've seen seem to be a lot tamer and maybe a little smaller.I've only killed nilgai but the oryx I've eaten was way better and very tender.Don't get me wrong because both are very excellent eating and either choice is a good one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
I have hunted both and nilgai will give much more of a challenge than oryx. That's with two nilgai and one oryx hunted.

I concur with this, only different figures...1 Nilgai and 3 Oryx.

Both are great on the table but the Nilgai wins in that department.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Been around both. Three nilgai under my belt. Couldn’t make myself shoot the oryx. To me there were just like there. No challenge. Suppose I’m being too subjective. But nilgai, to me, give you more bang for the buck. JMHO.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/28/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious. Do they still require a 300Mag or better on the King for nilgai?

Last edited by southtexas; 11/28/22.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
People rave about nilgai meat, but I prefer oryx by a pretty wide margin, if that matters at all. Sounds like fun.

Yep. Oryx is one of the best meats in taste and texture IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yep. Oryx is one of the best meats in taste and texture IMO.

If you want a challenge go for Nilgai, although in my one example Simitar Oryx is not a push over. If you want good eating then go for the Simitar Oryx.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Nilgai is like Honey Badger, when it comes to high fence. He don’t give a ****!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Kaywoodie, I have 2 Nilgai walking our North west fence looking for a hole they can use to get out, don't know where they came from? Ranch hand say's there's tracks coming up from our S.E. Gate, i didn't see the tracks wasn't paying attention, but that's 20 miles from where we are seeing their tracks now. if we see them we will kill them, don't need them here. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do they still require a 300Mag or better on the King for nilgai?"

That is total BS! Given good bullets, Any thing from a .243 on up will kill them if you can shoot accurately. Like elk, a double lung shot will do it. Tip- do not aim for the hump.

That said, they are a good animal to try out your African rifles on as there will plenty of meat left after your .458 Win Mag destroys enough to make a meal.

I recently shot a small Indian antelope with a 45-90 and all shoulder meat was destroyed. Through the ribs would have been better, but I was shooting left handed and blew the shot.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RIO7
Kaywoodie, I have 2 Nilgai walking our North west fence looking for a hole they can use to get out, don't know where they came from? Ranch hand say's there's tracks coming up from our S.E. Gate, i didn't see the tracks wasn't paying attention, but that's 20 miles from where we are seeing their tracks now. if we see them we will kill them, don't need them here. Rio7

Blue! I remember how much you despise the blue bull! 🤣. Go forth and slay them.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/28/22.

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crshelton

That is total BS! Given good bullets, Any thing from a .243 on up will kill them if you can shoot accurately. Like elk, a double lung shot will do it. Tip- do not aim for the hump.

That said, they are a good animal to try out your African rifles on as there will plenty of meat left after your .458 Win Mag destroys enough to make a meal.

I recently shot a small Indian antelope with a 45-90 and all shoulder meat was destroyed. Through the ribs would have been better, but I was shooting left handed and blew the shot.

I don't doubt what you say. I just recall reading somewhere that most ranches, including the King, required a 300 mag minimum for nilgai, and wondered if that is still the case. Thanks,

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by crshelton

I don't doubt what you say. I just recall reading somewhere that most ranches, including the King, required a 300 mag minimum for nilgai, and wondered if that is still the case. Thanks,

That's because most Texas outfitters (along with many other outfitters) aren't really rifle people, and don't understand how the bullet makes far more difference than the cartridge.

Have told this story before, but here it is again. About 20 years ago Winchester held a nilgai hunt on the King, to publicize the then-new .270 WSM cartridge. All together between the invited hunters and the "industry" people (there were other sponsors aside from Winchester) there were 15 of us, and we each got to shoot a cow and a bull. When the guides found out we were going to hunt with ".270s" they were alarmed--but the bullets were 140-grain Fail Safes, which penetrate and expand very similar to Barnes TSXs.

By the end of the hunt the guides were saying that "new .270" was one of the best nilgai cartridges ever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which pasture of the King will you be hunting? I did the nilgai on the Norias pasture a few years back and the nilgai is the better hunt. I plan on going back soon.

Best of luck as it is not a pushover hunt!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Over the years I have killed more than a few Nilgai, not all Bulls, using what ever rifle I had in the Jeep at the time, .223, 22-250- .243, .243A.I. .270. .308 killed 1 with 45-70 and a cast bullet out of a Ruger #1 killed 1 with my 450 Howell, it ain't the head stamp you use it's the bullet and where you put it, last one I killed i used a 6.5 CM it worked with a 127 LRX. Rio7

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.