-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not, but neighbor did where we moose hunt at and my son found a 1911 on the side of a mountain while chasing caribou. Found the owner and it was the son of a butcher in the area, so his caribou was processed as a finders fee.

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Found some form of Glock at the local range on a bench. Called local PD and they picked it up. I didn't want to take it with me but also didn't want to leave it there.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by BangPop
Not me but I had a guide client loose a rifle on the trail up the west fork on Crystal Creek east of Jackson Wyoming. I told the guy we would find it on the way back down and there wasn't anyone else around there. I looked every foot of that trail back to camp and never found that rifle. There are at least a half dozen difficult creek crossings up that canyon and I assume the rifle went off the horse at one of those crossings. Every time I went up there I looked for that gun, even in the creek, and never found it. That was in 1980 so if there's anything left of it, it's nothing more than a rusty nub. Not a cheap rifle either. It was a Colt Sauer.

Now there is an endorsement for a good guide.

Sheesh...
Hey, at least I didn't loose the client. Some of those dumb asses couldn't find their way from the cook tent to the latrine.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nope....😌

But have found plenty of Wpns.
Their is a difference.
And pain is always associated with a " lost wpn"
Some of ya I'm sure know what I'm saying.
Only takes 1 smoke session to not have a " lost wpn" again.

🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not me but I had a guide client loose a rifle on the trail up the west fork on Crystal Creek east of Jackson Wyoming. I told the guy we would find it on the way back down and there wasn't anyone else around there. I looked every foot of that trail back to camp and never found that rifle. There are at least a half dozen difficult creek crossings up that canyon and I assume the rifle went off the horse at one of those crossings. Every time I went up there I looked for that gun, even in the creek, and never found it. That was in 1980 so if there's anything left of it, it's nothing more than a rusty nub. Not a cheap rifle either. It was a Colt Sauer.

Sheesh...
Hey, at least I didn't loose the client. Some of those dumb asses couldn't find their way from the cook tent to the latrine.

That doesn’t account for bad guiding. You always follow your client and pick up whatever they drop.

Double sheesh, hold into the scabbard…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lost a shotgun in my gun locker. But eventually found it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I found a 20ga pump, while on a duck hunt, just a couple of weeks ago. The barrel and receiver were buried in the mud, but the buttstock was visible in the water. The gun had a shell in the chamber and magazine, but we could not get the action to open.

It was on a public duck hunting property here in Colorado, (Andrick Ponds), which used to be my coyote honey-hole when John Andrick owned it and ran it as a private duck hunting club.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by MPat70
Nope. But I've had a handgun stolen out of my truck years ago. File a police report but nothing has come out of it.
I had my 700 BDL 25-06 stolen out of my truck while parked in the yard after washing it. The thieves hit 3 streets besides mine that night taking everything to the sidewalks and piling it up. Two streets over a lady saw them idling down the street loading the loot and got the plate number and called the cops and with serial numbers from the gun in the police report I had it back in three days and was very lucky.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There is a 5" Smith & Wesson 3rd Model HE .44 Special on the loose somewhere in my house.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
no but last year I lost my bow!!! holy chit, its so annoying, The only thing I can think of is someone grabbed it off the trail I was standing next to before I came back for it. I wondered around for hours looking for it. Its not so much the value, but it was setup and tuned for me. I have almost an exact replacement for it. Doesn't shoot anywhere near close to as well, YET!

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I forgot about this one. About 47 ish years ago, I would ride my Honda XL 250, down a few miles of railroad track, and across a fairly long (1/4 mile +) elevated trestle to get to my little squirrel hunting place. I always took my S&W Model 28 along, in a small pack tied on the seat behind me.

I got to the paved road, and for some reason looked behind me…..no pack! After nearly “seizing-up” and regaining my composure (mostly) I road the tracks back until I found my handgun. I was much “worse for wear” than it was! We enjoyed a great reunion! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I temporarily lost a rifle years ago. My wife moved the damn thing without telling me. She hid it good too. I had no reason to be looking for it for several months. At that point, I had no idea where it was and she didn’t remember moving it either. I bumped into it while switching out fall/winter clothes for spring/summer clothes. I was one happy camper when I found it!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

Sheesh...

That doesn’t account for bad guiding. You always follow your client and pick up whatever they drop.

Double sheesh, hold into the scabbard…
Piss on em, I'm not their mother.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have come close twice.

Worst one: I had been carrying a j frame Smith in a pocket for nigh on twenty years, second nature, carried it everywhere along with my keys, phone and wallet, put it right next to me when I slept every night. The morning after visiting out of town with my then wife - no revolver.

Looked everywhere, it was so routine I could not remember laying it next to me, we had gotten home very late. The last time for sure I knew I had it was in a McDonald’s 150 miles away. The only time I had gotten out of the car at all after that was to take a leak by the side of the road 60 miles out and in my own driveway.

Felt like absolute crap, what if I had somehow left it in the McDonald’s? Didn’t seem possible. Dropped it in the driveway? I would have realized I didn’t have it when I lay down that evening.

Called in sick that day, backtracked to where I had stopped to take a leak, looked all around in the roadside weeds nada. I checked Police reports online in the town the McD was in. Nothing.

Made me ill not knowing if some kid or thug had it somehow. Three months later it turned up in a pile of blankets in a closet in my house. HUGE relief.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lost one last week. Found it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most recent one. Packing up in a downtown parking lot after a long Alamo event. Putting away all my 1835 gear in my car.

My $1,500 flintlock fowler was leaning against an adjacent wall in a simple cotton canvas gun sleeve, period style. I never carry visible firearms outside at my house so no one will see that I have them. I would transport that fowler in the original nondescript shipping box it came in.

Packing up my car, a passer-by engages me in conversation. He moves on, I check my stuff is packed up, including flintlock box, drive home.

30 minutes later, at home, I pick up flintlock box and it was empty, I had left that fowler leaning against a wall in downtown San Antonio. Drove back expecting it to be gone.

Nearly a hour after I had left it, there it was in the fading light, right where I left it. Hundreds of people must have walked right by it. Somehow, completely covered in that plain heavy cotton sleeve, it hadn’t caught anyone’s eye.

Well, if it had been gone I doubt it would be used in a crime 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’ve found guns in my safe I’d forgotten I had. That’s about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found a Taurus Judge near a fire ring in New Mexico.
Found the owner the next day.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've found two that had been placed in a tree fork and never recovered, ........... and the trees had grown around them over the years!
often wondered what the stories were, as both were isolated locations at least 100 miles from civilization nowadays.
Also found an 1873 Winchester while paddling in some shallow water miles from nowhere, ..... looked down and could see it laying there in the sand and mud, so jumped in and brought it home. Often wondered who lost it 100 years ago, and how they made out without the rifle, ....... most likely a trapper!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a nice Marlin 30-30 growing up, that I left at home with my parents when I moved out to go to college. I would go back home ever once in a while and use it for whitetail hunting in Texas and my dad used it in the oil patch sometimes or on our farm to shoot coyotes. Anyway, I left it there at my parents house even many years after I got out of college. My dad's health faded fast and he passed away in 2008, and I went to get the guns from the gun cabinet and the 30-30 was gone.

Never did figure out what happened to it, but I really miss it just for the sentimental value, and would have liked to pass it down to my sons. I figure one of my no good cousins got it. My dad had dimentia in the end and probably loaned it to one of them and forgot about it, and they probably hocked it for beer or drug money.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.