Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Teal
Nope - won't eat the body's filter. If it's got crap, it's likely to be there. Like using your car's oil filter for a water glass.

Aw, man, that analogy ruined my appetite for liver forever. laugh

The coyotes will clean it up along with the rest of the gut pile.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My son loves liver and keeps them all out of our deer we kill. I hate it and think it tastes like puke.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Dam good eating fried wifey refuses to cook it

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Here too.

I started deer hunting with my grandfather when I was a kid. He always carried a bread bag with him when we hunted. When we killed a deer He would take the liver and put it in the bread bag. When we got home he would fry it up. He loved eating it, I like it too. always ate it fresh, couple hours old.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My German Shepherds get both the heart and liver. I cook it outside as we can't stand the smell. They love it.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I carry two gallon size freezer bags rolled up in my hunting vest for the deer heart and liver. Good eats.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Here too.

I started deer hunting with my grandfather when I was a kid. He always carried a bread bag with him when we hunted. When we killed a deer He would take the liver and put it in the bread bag. When we got home he would fry it up. He loved eating it, I like it too. always ate it fresh, couple hours old.
Sounds like me with a bread bag in the spring for mushrooms while turkey hunting.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer liver is delicious. No-one in my family will eat it other than me, so one per season is enough. I keep one from younger healthy deer. Never seen flukes but occasionally see one with spots. I don't save those.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My girlfriend, who professes to hate venison, requests that I save the liver…..she loves it fried with onions. (I have her hooked on grilled tenderloin now so maybe there’s hope for her yet). Had to give her the bad news I trashed this one, but didn’t say why, that would’ve turned her off anything deer related!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a liver lover but will trash any that have flukes in them. The other morning I fried up a batch of diced goose liver and onions and eat it on buttered toast points, pheasant, grouse and duck livers get the same treatment. Beaver liver and onions is as good or better than calves liver. Up beaver trapping it is our morning breakfast.

Last edited by erich; 11/23/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No thanks. As already mentioned, I know what the liver does for a body. Those that enjoy, enjoy! But for me, no thanks.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dean, I hope you don’t really believe the liver is a filter. Because rest assured it is not. It does not trap or retain any toxin. It chemically modifies toxins to make them benign or soluble enough to be passed on and out the digestive tract. It also makes various hormones and enzymes for other vital functions of the body. It is in no way an oil filter analogue. Plus they are nutritious and delicious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BustemAgain
Dean, I hope you don’t really believe the liver is a filter. Because rest assured it is not. It does not trap or retain any toxin. It chemically modifies toxins to make them benign or soluble enough to be passed on and out the digestive tract. It also makes various hormones and enzymes for other vital functions of the body. It is in no way an oil filter analogue. Plus they are nutritious and delicious.

Someone better let the scientists at NH DNR know...

Do not eat deer liver - recommendation.

Wisconsin too

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear they are good for catfish bait.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to save every deer liver I got. But back in the 80s I was slicing liver and I had huge fluke squirming on the cutting board. Last liver I ever kept.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There are no “scientists” familiar with hepatic function that believe the liver is a filter. In New Hampshire or otherwise. And don’t think one part of a deer from a Superfund site in Wisconsin is any kind of wholesome while another being more nutrient dense is not. In fact I would wager the fellow eating the liver alone in such conditions would fare far better in the long run than the soul who was not. Liver is a detoxifying, fortifying superfood whether you like the taste or idea of it, or not.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ate them all the time growing up and just don’t like them as much now. I will still save and eat every heart.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Liver is dog food, gizzards are where it's at for me.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
348 members (320090T, 12344mag, 303savage, 160user, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 44 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 672 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,573
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.