Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Instead of a ball puller, invest in a CO2 discharger. The one I have has hardware for both percussion nipples and flintlock flash holes. I've seen rifling damaged by energetic use of a ball screw.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Instead of a ball puller, invest in a CO2 discharger. The one I have has hardware for both percussion nipples and flintlock flash holes. I've seen rifling damaged by energetic use of a ball screw.

Second this. Except when you are far-a-field, then you best have a ball puller and patch worm in your bag.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The bad part is, when you do need to pull a load or patch, it’s often when you’ve been shooting, hence there is powder residue in the barrel.

If you look at the pan after firing you can watch that residue (AKA fouling) suck moisture right out of the air within seconds and become damp even on a dry day, it’s a salt and it’s hygroscopic.

This is why you need to clean black powder firearms the same day.

It sure is a bad feeling when you really need to clean the bore but you can’t because of some obstruction, if you don’t have what you need on hand it can take days before you do.

It ain’t like WalMart or even gun stores carry CO2 devices or ball pullers.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The bad part is, when you do need to pull a load or patch, it’s often when you’ve been shooting, hence there is powder residue in the barrel.

If you look at the pan after firing you can watch that residue (AKA fouling) suck moisture right out of the air within seconds and become damp even on a dry day, it’s a salt and it’s hygroscopic.

This is why you need to clean black powder firearms the same day.

It sure is a bad feeling when you really need to clean the bore but you can’t because of some obstruction, if you don’t have what you need on hand it can take days before you do.

It ain’t like WalMart or even gun stores carry CO2 devices or ball pullers.

I do not know if I was Taught Right but I was Taught to use a wet patch with cleaning solvent on it with every shot.
Dam not Soaked
It helps push all the crap down to the breach and cleans the barrel for the next ball to shoot.

I have never had a lot of Fouling Build Up after a shoot.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by erich
A priming horn or brass tube pan primer and a flint knapper to keep your flint sharp the little tube pan primers have a ball on the end that does a nice job of knapping an edge on your flint.

Don't fill the priming pan all the way, you want it to flash into the main charge not burn it's way in, once you have that figured out it will be nearly as fast as a percussion rifle.

I can't highight this enough 1/4 of a pan is plenty and tip your rifle a bit to get some pan powder into the flashole. doing this significantly increased my locktime on my deerstalker

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt.
Hotshot liner, good flint, it is disturbing how often mine will go bang with
absolutely no priming powder.

Powder covering the hole acts like a fuse and blocks the fire from the pan until it burns.

A smidge in the bottom creates a small explosion that throws the fire into the flashole.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
for a much more enjoyable shooting session, carry a bunch of alcohol swabs with you. (not pc but who cares). i swab my pan and flint, and frizzen every other shot, and sometimes when the humidity is up, every shot. cleans and dries quickly. and if you have a jag with you , one can swab the fouling with them.
some of my flinters require swabbing after each shot. others don't. some require the vent to be picked every shot others don't.
have one that requires the vent pick be full depth of the bore when the charge is dumped in.
flintlocks are like women. no two like.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.