Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by dale06
My sons suppressed 22 makes virtually no noise, except for the action cycling.
Its my understanding that on centerfires ( non subsonic) the noise is still above the level where hearing protection should be worn. Yes the noise is less than non suppressed, but still potentially harmful to your hearing.

You are correct, if you were doing a lot of it earplugs would be a good idea. But you hear stuff ever day that is just as loud as the supersonic round through a suppressor, I'd imagine most folks dont put on ear protection when they are hammering in a nail.

This is my experience. ~25-30dbs reduction depending on the cartridge/load/barrel length. The real lack of flash at night works well with IR / thermal.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Two questions.......

I see more and more photos of hunters showing a rifle with a supressosr. Are they the cool thing now?
On big guns they are barely less loud than a regular barrel. For sub-sonic they are fantastic. Who hunts
sub-sonic?
. You’re totally missing it. By a mile in fact. But to your credit not very many talk about it. Imagine about a 75% reduction in recoil? How about essentially no blast? How about spotting hits in the scope now? It’s not just about noise. Which is cut way way back Subsonic or otherwise. Every rifle I have suppressed has been more accurate by a very noticeable amount. I started with only my ARs suppressed. Now every bolt gun I have is threaded. I don’t want to shoot anything that is not suppressed. I just ordered my 6th can now. Once you go suppressed you don’t go back

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t carry mine up the mountain elk hunting but for dinking around home hunting pigs and varmints where volume of fire is much higher and I’m not walking more than a couple miles I find the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by killerv
How come when someone mentions ears ringing your own ears start to ring?

My ears have been ringing, 24/7 non-stop since the Navy and I've been out 16 years now. It's worse when I'm stressed (BP is high) and so loud some nights, I can't sleep.

Ringing sucks big time. AFAIK - no cure.

I got out of the Navy 15 years ago, my ears were ringing the last year or so and still do to this day. Had substantial hearing loss too but they said it was still within acceptable limits. My wife disagrees with them cause I can't hear [bleep] lol

I only shoot suppressed now, same with the kids. It's makes a huge difference, even when shooting supersonic

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Once you go suppressed you don’t go back

I purchased a Thunder Beast 9. When I bought it, I put my son-in-law on the government blackmail paper. The only real value to me was a .22 LR. It's in his possesion now.

All my rifles have brakes. They do a way better job of recoil reduction. When I hunt I use electronic hearing muffs. I see the bullet impacts.

At the range I use pugs and ear muffs.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For sub-sonic they are fantastic. Who hunts
sub-sonic?

I hunt with subs all the time...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yes they’re cool, hearing aids are not.

Bingo. I like shooting a .223 that sounds like a hot .22LR. I also like knocking a third of the recoil off a centerfire hunting recoil. And while it's true that something like a suppressed Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308 isn't "quiet", they are much nicer to shoot that the unsuppressed versions, especially in the field. I've had some 18" barreled rifles ring the heck out of my ears without a can in place.

Yep... You cannot imagine how much BETTER you will shoot with a can. No noise and better groups.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sincerely proud for you young guys. Between gunshots, outboard motors and sirens, I can barely hear any of them.

Do the best you can to protect your hearing.

You will regret not being able to hear your grandchildren.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want to find out, I get to "visit" mine ever so often, but the ATF has mine in bondage at the moment and probably will for another 10-12 months. Just 3 months in but already ticked at .gov.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
On big guns they are barely less loud than a regular barrel.

Wrong.

They don't sound like a James Bond movie "Pfft", but they cut the Db's considerably.

You really ought to do your homework better.
This is true especially see how decibels work and at how much noise is reduced just by muffling the decibels a few points.
Also the quality of suppressors can vary largely from manufacturer to manufacturer. Each company builds their suppressors differently so each produce will have different results.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got a lot of hearing loss and as a bonus I hear REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 24 hours a friggin' day.

I decided I didn't want to lose any more of the hearing I have left so I invested in a couple of cans, Best decision I ever made.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Boomer be like “whaddya say?”

Some boomers already have half a dozen suppressors and hear better than most millenials.

smile smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
On big guns they are barely less loud than a regular barrel.

Wrong.

They don't sound like a James Bond movie "Pfft", but they cut the Db's considerably.

You really ought to do your homework better.

To add:

With subs, you can actually get "Pfft" out of some guns, especially .22's.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two questions.......

Who hunts sub-sonic?

Sneezes are better than bangs when plinkin' pigs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Old codgers will not get it or change their ways. [bleep] boomers…..
Brakes can do damage to hearing as well, even with muffs. Has something to do with concussive transfer through the cheekbone to ear canal….or some schidt like that.

I shoot and hunt with suppressors because they make the shooting experience “nicer”, doesn’t spook game to the extent a louden-boomer would, allowing follow ups on groups of targets and they are [bleep] cool 😎 .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Boomer be like “whaddya say?”

Some boomers already have half a dozen suppressors and hear better than most millenials.

smile smile

Hahahaha 🤣
A half a dozen is nothing, and boomers can't hear or learn for schitt

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Two questions.......

Who hunts sub-sonic?

Very cool... what is that caliber?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RHutch
Old codgers will not get it or change their ways. [bleep] boomers…..
Brakes can do damage to hearing as well, even with muffs. Has something to do with concussive transfer through the cheekbone to ear canal….or some schidt like that.

I shoot and hunt with suppressors because they make the shooting experience “nicer”, doesn’t spook game to the extent a louden-boomer would, allowing follow ups on groups of targets and they are [bleep] cool 😎 .
[bleep] boomers, why would you say that?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Why do you ask?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Two questions.......

Who hunts sub-sonic?

Very cool... what is that caliber?

.308 in a .357 case it is, known as the .30 Sneezer. It likes one hole groups a lot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.