Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
a year after its announcement still no rifles on the shelves. a recall that has meant the guns out there have to be sent back. The barrel change ability is eliminated by the recall negating a significant reason to buy one. It reminds me of when Winchester stopped making the model 70 for a while. despite bringing them back they have never gained the market they once had. CZ 527 canceled, so CZ has no bolt actions to sell. With the saturation of the bolt gun market these days. I have to wonder how much money is even out there for CZ to profit by even offering a bolt gun to begin with. I wonder at this rate if they should just say F it and concentrate on handguns

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree it has been a debacle, huge mistake to abandon the 527. I don't feel too bad for CZ though they are selling all the Python's,Anaconda's and CzechMate pistols they can manufacture.
I think the only rifles they can even sell are rimfire 457's

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They started screwing up when they stopped making the standard caliber 550's IMHO

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno what's going on with CZ-USA these days. Used to have pretty good contact them, but have not for maybe 3 years.

However, am very glad to still have my remaining 550s and 527s....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno what's going on with CZ-USA these days. Used to have pretty good contact them, but have not for maybe 3 years.

However, am very glad to still have my remaining 550s and 527s....

John,

Is the lady that had been running the show still running the show? She was doing great things IMO.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ed,

I don't know--partly because I haven't attended any of the big "winter shows" like SHOT or SCI for a while--because I have also been deliberately "semi-retiring" for several years.

Partly this was because I was learning less and less by going to the shows--because of the increasing turn-over among the people at various companies. When I started going to SHOT in 1988, the same people often worked for the same company for not just years but decades. But after around 2000, they tended to last only 2-4 years at most before moving to another company. I suspect this is partly because "electronic communications" have made it far easier for people to switch jobs, since they don't have to physically move, as they did before.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
oh here is another problem, I have a couple crappy magazines for the 527 and they have quit selling them in 221FB they also don't have other parts for the 221,17 hornests 222's etc. namely bottom metal. like I alluded to. I have to wonder how much money they are making on bolt guns anyways. They probably don't place too high of priority on them. I feel like its hard to compete with all the bolt guns that are already out there on the used market. I don't see myself buying another bolt gun, at least I have no plans to, subject to change. but many of the ones I have don't get shot that much. its just the varmint related rigs that see much action.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had my hands on a 600. and personally it was felt pretty impressive though I'd never fired it to really know for sure I know there was an early recall for something that I can't remember now but if they can't get product to market that is a problem

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
oh here is another problem, I have a couple crappy magazines for the 527 and they have quit selling them in 221FB they also don't have other parts for the 221,17 hornests 222's etc. namely bottom metal. like I alluded to. I have to wonder how much money they are making on bolt guns anyways. They probably don't place too high of priority on them. I feel like its hard to compete with all the bolt guns that are already out there on the used market. I don't see myself buying another bolt gun, at least I have no plans to, subject to change. but many of the ones I have don't get shot that much. its just the varmint related rigs that see much action.

I feel like its hard to compete with all the bolt guns that are already out there on the used market.

That's a big part of the problem. Today there are millions of used bolt-action rifles out there, many of which are very "affordable," and a bunch of new ones that can be even more affordable as well, and very accurate. These not just rifles like the Ruger American, but European brands such as Tikka, and even Sauer and Mauser--which are both part of the

Where is the marketing niche for bolt-action rifles these days?

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Here is the way I see it.
Remember those old cars you wished you had not sold?
Todays buyers are not interested in what we oldtimers are.
Old muscle cars are not being produced today like yesterday (emissions/etc.)
Appreciate what ya got, cause it is getting rarer!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I handled a couple before they announced the recall, and at least one is still in that store, last time I was there anyway. Makes me wonder if the recall was announced after they began shipping the glued specimens. That one is a Lux, and it seems nicely made, however it is a bit “Euro” for American tastes I suspect. Without the switch feature, I don’t find anything very compelling about it, except that it has some nice irons.

Another recent casualty I find puzzling is the Kadet2 .22 conversion for the 75-series pistols. I have one, and it’s a finely-made unit, and a real bargain IMO for such quality. I’ve also noticed that many parts in their online store are seemingly perennially unavailable, particularly for the 457 rifles. Gotta wonder just how serious they are about the U.S. market. Perhaps, like some U.S. companies, they have military or government contracts that are getting the bulk of their attention.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would guess buying and revamping Colt is taking a lot of their time and money.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I've been trying like hell to find a 600 LUX in .223 for months...no joy.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Miller Hardware in Stephens City, VA had one a few weeks ago. Don’t know if they ship.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would guess buying and revamping Colt is taking a lot of their time and money.
Yup, that's my opinion, too. And I believe that Ruger is finding their Marlin resuscitation project much more difficult than they imagined during these times of global material, parts and worker shortages.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
heck even the type of bolt action rifles for sale these days seem somewhat disposable. gone are the days of deep blue polished actions and walnut stocks. I personally still prefer a rifle like that over the stainless and plastic that is out there these days. Does ruger even sell the m77 mk2 anymore? the later ones seemed excessively bead blasted. I guess winchester still makes the model 70 in deep polish blue and walnut, but you don't see them on shelves much anymore.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have the 223 lux. like all the features, shoots great, looking for a 30-06 to come out. not a great fan of the Bavarian stock, but it is walnut and not plastic. handles CFE 223 and 55 gr TTSX and sierra # 1365 real well. to me it is as a hunting rifle should be, walnut, blue, and good open sights, (not that my old eyes can us"em). and the price of $800 or so cant be beat for all the features.

Last edited by Wallyfish; 11/28/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Lux I handled was also a .223, and I can’t deny it tempted me somewhat. However I was already aware that it had a 1-9” twist, the same as a perfectly good Hawkeye I had sitting at home, and its weight was right up there as well. The only real reason for me to jump on it was the ability to swap barrels, at that time still theoretically possible, if not actually so due to a lack of parts. I passed, deciding to wait and see, and when the recall was announced shortly after, I was glad that for once I’d thought with “the right head” so to speak.

That same store also had an Alpha in 6.5 You Know What, but I didn’t look at it. I did check out one in .300 Win not long after elsewhere, but I don’t have much use for something in that configuration, and again without the cartridge-swapping feature, the appeal isn’t there for me as compared to other stuff. The Trail model has some possibilities, but they were slow to appear, and I see no magazines available for them at present, a serious omission.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 550 series is a pretty tough act to follow. CZ made the same mistake as Winchester did in 1964. It will cost them as it did Winchester.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
Here is the way I see it.
Remember those old cars you wished you had not sold?
Todays buyers are not interested in what we oldtimers are.
Old muscle cars are not being produced today like yesterday (emissions/etc.)
Appreciate what ya got, cause it is getting rarer!

Kind of like this ol' 375 H&H BRNO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.