24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one Bergara I had shot extremely well, little heavy but eventually it went down the road. Had 3 tikkas and every one shot sub MOA but I never could fall in love with the stock, they went down the road too. Now I mainly hunt with a Remington model 7 and a kimber Montana.
If I were to choose between the two, tikka would get the nod and then invest in a better stock. My 2 cents

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
BP-B6

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was getting ready to start an identical thread. I found a deal on a couple cases of 168 gr 308 match ammo a while back and want a new 308 to punch paper with. I would prefer an 8+ pound rifle without a muzzle break, so the weight of the Bergaras doesn’t bother me. I love the look of several Bergara models but have noticed mixed reviews on accuracy and an abnormal amount of “like new” used rifles for sale that don’t seem to have great resale value. Tikka reviews are near unanimous positive so I’m leaning towards a CTR, but I’m tempted to take my chances on a used Bergara just because I think they look sexy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
IMO, there are only 2 good things about a Tikka..........they are cheap to buy & they shoot well.

Other than that, they are ugly as sin & have no soul, they look & feel cheap.........which they are.

And as for an 18" Creed............really? Really?

But to each his own.

MM

Soul? Lol ok...

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Drop that Tikka in a nice Laminated wood, wood, or composite stock. Replace the trigger spring. And you have an extremely accurate rifle that no longer looks & feels cheap.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jc189; 11/28/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pass me the Tikka please

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL

Pass me a Browning Hells Canyon. I have one and would not hesitate to get another. I did put a Timney in mine. A VERY accurate rifle.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I have begun to think more about muscle memory and what that looks like with the same rifle in a variety of calibers. I believe it will add to improve my overall shooting, as its the same basic gun. Flame away, but with less and less shooting opportunities, it seems like a step in the direction of maintain skill and safety. It also helps, in your case, that Tikka is known to be high quality and strong shooting.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tikka for me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crc1514
I was getting ready to start an identical thread. I found a deal on a couple cases of 168 gr 308 match ammo a while back and want a new 308 to punch paper with. I would prefer an 8+ pound rifle without a muzzle break, so the weight of the Bergaras doesn’t bother me. I love the look of several Bergara models but have noticed mixed reviews on accuracy and an abnormal amount of “like new” used rifles for sale that don’t seem to have great resale value. Tikka reviews are near unanimous positive so I’m leaning towards a CTR, but I’m tempted to take my chances on a used Bergara just because I think they look sexy.

No need to start a new thread. There are many threads here already with similar questions. First off, I have to say that the Bergara's are nice rifles. I have been tempted by them a few times, but every time I handle one I think the same thing. They are heavy and not well balanced. Now, you say you don't mind the extra heft and you want a stainless 308w. Look at a Tikka varmint. While there is absolutely no need to pack the extra weight around in the deer/elk woods, they do offer an edge in accuracy. For a big game hunting rifle, it's not enough of a difference to make it worth while for myself. Here are some pics to keep it interesting/real.

Tikka T3 stainless Varmint @ 7 7/8 pounds (bare) 5 shot group with factory ammo:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Stainless T3 lite 308 with 22.4" barrel. Weighs 6.4 pounds bare. 5 shot group with handloads. Same bullet as what was fired in varmint model above:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not even enough difference to write home about.. ^^^

Now, I realize you say weight doesn't bother you and you prefer an "8+ pound rifle". Personally I'd take a lite or superlite before considering using a "varmint" model for big game hunting. To each their own though. That is what makes the world go round... I've been reaching for my stainless lites more and more over the last few years. They are damn good rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I just went the bergara route for the first time. Wanted a factory threaded 708 rifle for my new can. A threaded tikka 708 is like finding a unicorn, and I've read its iffy to have their lite barrels threaded to 5/4. The veil widelands sure is a good looking rifle, but just felt to cheap for a 1200 dollar gun...and not gonna spend 300 plus on a stock on an already "budget" gun. Anyway, ran across a lnib ridge rifle in 708, joker had even bought a magazine kit for it and left the original bottom metal in box. I figured for 700 bucks its worth a try. Much more solid feeling gun than the tikka. My main rifle has been a model 7 in 708 for several years so its an adjustment weight wise. Dont get me wrong, I love a tikka and know they shoot, I have two of the t1xs.

Last edited by killerv; 11/29/22.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not trying to stir the pot but are alot of the Tikka fans the ones that were on the Savage bandwagon?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by killerv
I just went the bergara route for the first time. Wanted a factory threaded 708 rifle for my new can. A threaded tikka 708 is like finding a unicorn, and I've read its iffy to have their lite barrels threaded to 5/4. The veil widelands sure is a good looking rifle, but just felt to cheap for a 1200 dollar gun...and not gonna spend 300 plus on a stock on an already "budget" gun. Anyway, ran across a lnib ridge rifle in 708, joker had even bought a magazine kit for it and left the original bottom metal in box. I figured for 700 bucks its worth a try. Much more solid feeling gun than the tikka. My main rifle has been a model 7 in 708 for several years so its an adjustment weight wise. Dont get me wrong, I love a tikka and know they shoot, I have two of the t1xs.
I ran across a Bergara Ridge and Scope combo I couldn't leave on the used rack. It has the oversized bolt handle and a dark gray looking stock. The barrel is threaded too. Its kinda chunky but not terribly balanced . The trigger imo is better than a Remington. The overall fit and finish looks better to my eyes also than any newer Remington I've had.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’d take a Tikka over the Bergera. I’d take a Winchester EW over either.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
A lot of it is personal preference. Everybody seems to like what they have. No wrong choices here. Most folks here on the Fire are Hunters. A rifle that shoots moa is certainly good enough for most hunting applications. Its just nice to shoot a rifle out of the box and have it really impress you. For me that has been my experience with the last 4 Tikka's that I unboxed and took to the range. The Damn things just shoot. I'm getting ready to order another one. Most guns can be made to shoot good after working up a load. I no longer reload. Its just easier for me to buy factory ammo. My Tikka's shoot factory ammo better then my Rem 700 and Win M-70 shoot reloads.

Tikka T3x lite 270 with factory ammo at 100yds

Tikka T3x lite 6.5 Creed 100yds factory 130gr Hornady eldm's

Easy button. They will repeat it every time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a Bergara, in their Mountain 2.0, Premier series. It is chambered for 6.5 PRC, and will put 143 gr. ELD-X bullets inside .5" at 100 yards repeatedly. Action is undoubtedly the slickest of any bolt action I own, and the carbon fiber stock is very stable. Fit and finish are perfect, IMO. Rifle weight is 6.3 lb. without scope or mounts.
The Premier series rifles are pricier than Tikkas, but the quality, accuracy, and light weight of this Mountain 2.0 is hard to beat.

Last edited by Bighorn; 11/30/22.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tikka for me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
By the looks of the grass in that picture.....Looks like the PGA needs to water the lawn of the HQ in Frisco mebbe just a little bit more....
Ron

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lol….although I live in Frisco about 3miles from PGA HQ, that pic was taken near Junction, TX.
All of the Bermuda is dormant here now. The golf courses look like a tan carpet at the moment.
But the greens are…well….still green:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I’d take a Tikka over the Bergera. I’d take a Winchester EW over either.

I’ve owned two Winchester EW’s. One in 308 and one in 7mm-08. The 308 was accurate enough, but I couldn’t get the 7mm-08 to shoot worth a damn. Neither was as accurate as a 7mm-08 TX3 Tikka I traded the latter for. Give me a Tikka.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
527 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.