Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
dave,that is one accurate shooting sob.what does she weigh all up.also like myself you dont have it breaked.complements to those groups with the recoil on that beast.someone mentioned good for deer hunting,sure is and a whole lot more.years ago when i lived in pennsylvania we were bear hunting,10 guys pushing the mountain with 5 pushers and same sitters.i was last pusher on left bottom of the mountain.all of a sudden i heard 3 or4 shots up and to my right.then i heard this beast coming at 100 yds,straight at me,at 50 i yelled loudly.he didnt flinch and still on a dead run.yelled again at about twenty and he turned off to my left sloed just a little and saw me propped against a large tree.i hit him in the shoulder with a 140 accubond,he went down and was trying to crawl away.hit hin center of back about a foot behind his head with the 2nd shot doa.no death rattle.this slob weighed 524 dressed.obviously won the pool.that rifle dave is shooting,with the appropriate bullet is just death very quickly,i also have a custom 6.5 stw.yes im a speed freak.another death ray.had it built back in the 90s.anyways just love that beast dave.enjoy it.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You PA are a helluva bunch of riflemen.

Cool sounding rifles.

Semper Fi
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We play..

Thinking about it the bolt handle popped off of a PTG bolt.
I've yet to have one come off a stock m700.
At least it did it at the smiths shop.
Kinda handle.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That your running 168s out of a RUM means I'm rubbing off on you..

Hahaha ๐Ÿ˜
dave

[Linked Image]

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great story slobob63.
Thanks

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
That your running 168s out of a RUM means I'm rubbing off on you..

Hahaha ๐Ÿ˜
dave

A Touch.. I haven't gone all in yet...

Semper Fi
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I really like these PTG bolt knobs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Back in 2009 im not sure if you could get edge fill stock.
But this is the last of the gel coats.There heavy
This thing is pushing 10 pounds.
My later builds are not this heavy.. Just shy of 10 pounds.
It has a sharp violent recoil.And its loud.
Im not dragging it all over gods creation so its no biggie.

I had a pretty uneventful deer season.
Trail cams were pretty interesting.
This is what I was hunting for..
He even had friends.
But these guys never showed in daylight.
I kept passing on what I was seeing then The second wednesday
I just filled my freezer. Freezer doe.
Measured with Geovids at 377 yards.
I put the horizontal crosswire on the deers back..
My farthest shot so far with this gun..
Every deer ive hit with this thing is just DRT.
You have to see it to appreciare how hard these deer get hit.
I like it alot.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
hey dave.1st off like you i truly miss Bob and Allen day.true gentleman whos opinions i enjoyed.time sure does fly by.also if you dont mind my asking,what state are you in.also is it the same state those bucks were on your trail cam.also some of the target pics were duplicates ?..i guess you like those 130 ttsx as much as i do.have you tried any 140s in it.they shoot almost as well in mine,almost lol. ps.i gave up on anything ptg many years ago.to many issues.look forward to your response

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
slobob63
I built a Mashburn after I was done playing with the STW.
It was a leftover parts gun . Parts left over from a 25 Booboo that I had messed with back in the 90s. Spent alot of time talking to bob about it and made sure he got my load data. It was a interesting project.
I'm in Erie,Pa and hunt farms in west Erie county.
The trail cam pics are right in the area I hunt.
Pretty much farmland. And if it's not farmable it's crap.
Wet thick and nasty.
No duplicate Target pics
I was playing, fine tuning my zero at 100 yards. Ended up with two 100 yard targets. It's interesting because it's showing very little vertical in the load.
What bullet powder combo did you run in your 270/300 WM? In your 6.5 STW?

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
well in the 270-300 i loaded for best accuracy 72.6 grs reloader 22.with the 130 barnes and nosler bt it was a one hole gun at 1 and shot well under 1/2' at 200..just amazing rifle.with the 140 accubonds if shot about 1/4" in good conditions and i did my part.most i ever went to was 73 grains and still shot well,not quite though.now the 6.5 stw i had built by mike bryant in texas in 2000.yes im a old bugger.1st load i tried was 215 primers,88 grains of h 870 with a nosler partition.sho right around 1/2 3 shots at a 100,which i was pleased.then when h 870 wasnt prodused anymore i went to its replacement us 869.thats how it started.then over the next 10 years or so i played with a combe of barnes and noslers and hornadys.120s uo to i believe 143s.with retumbo,imr7828,reloader 25 and h 1000.funny how different powders shot better than others in different weight bullets.so that is about that,oh by the way that 1st load with that 140 partition shot in 2000 was 3325 fps.used her alot back in the day.now its my 270-300 or when doe hunting my 240 wby.i have 10 customs from 22-250 to 416 remington,that sob weighs 11 lbs scoped with a 2.5 power leopold.and without the break it is truly painful.since im ranting i met one of my favorite legends in the hunting and outfitting buisness at sci show in 2014.phil shoemaker a alaska brown bear legend and with his 5 ft 100 lb soaking wet daughter tia.she is now the main guide for phil along with her brother.at the time she was shooting i believe a 375 ruger.then she had a close call on a big brownie getting to close.the gun had a issue when she tried to take it off safe.fortunately the bear turned off.so her dad and her a few years ago had d"arcy echols build her a 416 rem with a 12 1/2 comb length.with no break.she says recoil is temporary..amazing young woman,learned from the best who also still guides for certain clients.met a lot of nice people and outfitters over the years.up until 2013 i worked for a premium outdoor wool hunting manufacturer on the side.we also were booking agents for people who bought our products.similar to sleeping indian,also better fitting than any of the king of the mountain stuff.way overrated.also sold blazer rifles with him.i did about a dozen shows a year with him,truly loved it.he became ill and sold out.i was lucky i had a government job in a small version of what they call homeland security for 24 years.also was living in bucks county pa about a hour north of philly.almost 28 years.hunted in clinton county oftenanyway sorry to boar you so long,helped take my mind off of things.enjoy mr Bobs favorite the mashburn.he loved that cartridge.later.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool stuff fellas!

Semper Fi
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slobob63
yes im a old bugger.

We should start a old buggers club..
Along the way.. last season I was running a 26 Nosler.
Only ran factory ammo so far.
Total easy button. 1 inch groups at 300 yards .
But it has not flattened deer ๐ŸฆŒ like the stw..

Dave

[Linked Image]

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
thanks dave,dont know your age but you seem way younger than me.i know one thing for sure.that 26 nosler is a beast..now no bs.we both know that nosler 26 is a death ray.

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
slobob63
If you don't mind my asking.
What line of clothing did you sell?
I still have my complete getup of KOM from back in the 80s.
That stuff saw me through some awful Canadian weather.
Don't wear it that much now a days . Just slum my
Cabela's stuff.
I always thought sleeping indian was itchie..

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
dave i also owned kom and sleeping indian.the garment manufacturer called his buisness autumnwood outfitters.sure you had been to to the harrisburg spoertsman show,maybe not.long drive for you.mow dont get me wrong kom was a quality garment.by the way i an intelligent enough to spell,but this keyboard is failing and gives the impression i cannot.my apologies,just dont feel like retyping.anyway with wool there are a few distinctions.one is wool pick per inch fiber,like 22 vs 24 with these top brands.other terms i cant recall now.but there were some differences.anyway king cavalier was the owner of kom and the 1st to become the largest wool garments for the hunting industry.biggest seller all time.yet he was a smaller stature than others and his clothing line reflected it when i 1st bought his garments at the harrisburg show i had the opportunity to fortunately try them on.at that time a was 6 ft tall and weighed 210.but my upper body was much larger than normal due to weight training for years.i made a big mistake and orderen a vest plus heavy jacket and the pants tried the pants for size and they were good,but 2 waist sizes different than my jeans.anyway.good stuff with life time quality if taken care of.so 2 years later i tried on the sleeping indian.for me much truer to fit size,more ball room and overall .the equal to or better than kom.as far as warmth on a alberta treestand as the sleeping indian had a better lining in the vest and large jacket was warmer as well on those minus 20 to 25 degree days and god help you if the wind blew.so you know i bought the pants,bibs vest and jacket,also had the white mickey army boots back then early 90s.unbelivable warmth.so i sold all my kom to a guy i knew.now to your point jeff you im guessing had unlined sleeping indian ?.my bibs and pants werent lined but i always had quality long underwear underneath shirt and vest.used it for several years and loved it.now to the autumnwood garments.guys name was cook schiavone.his family grandparents and parents started out making womens clothing for the medium priced clothing.became very wealthy.so cook never worried about money.he hunted and played golf for a long time as a teenager and young adult,forget what college he attended but 90% sure penn state.then he played pro ball in the 60s for the vikings.tight end as he was 6 ft 4 and weighed about 240 then,was a friend of chuck foreman star running back.anyway when he was in his late 30s he decided he wanted to make the finest wool hunting garments on earth,lol after havind a disagreement with king c of kom.so he went forward on his plan,he redid part of his families manufacturing plants.went to new zealand to set up importing sas good a wool on the planet,remember what i said erlier about warp and pick per inch.kom and sleeping indian were 22 pick per inch.autumnwood was 24.a tighter weave which means more waemth and more water repellent,also had a very water repellant inside membrane that felt like silk, he made more options with if you wanted fleece inside the wool or the silk like membrane or all 3 he would do it anywat you wanted,but priced accordingly to upgrades.most important they were sized correctly and gave extra room within all sizes for extreme comfort.shoulders and arms no binding as well as ass and ball room a plenty in bibs and pants.the kom booth got smaller and smaller and smaller at the shows..he actually stopped making his most extreme jackets which fortunately i asked him to make me and he did.people actually told him unless it was minus 25 or less it was to warm with just long underwear and a quality fleece under garment.i still hunt alberta every other year.depent on forecast i will take it sometimes.in 2000 i still went skiing.went up to gore mountain for the weekend.i knew the owners and staff.there were 20 cars in the lot.they didnt want to ope. about 45 of us convinced them to run thr gondola just one trip to the top..wel the temp at the top with no wing was - 46 fahrenheit.the wind at the top was blowing 35 to 40 mph.hair in nose froze in one breath.so about 1/3rd never got off the gondala.the rest of us lunatics started down.how this i a 15 minute descent when moving fast.had that jacket o with all my regular skiing clothes.fun lasted 2 minutes,then it was survial for around the eyes hands and legs and feet.half way down my knees were freezing to the point of i had to finish snowplowwing which is begginer level.we all made to the people watching from the lodge came out to help us take the skis off.walked like a 100 year old to a table near the fireplace,moral of the story my upper body never even had a chill with that jacket.other than that we stayed at the bar and lounge area,gave the young kids there 20 a piece to start all the cars every half hour and run for 5 minutes.well 3 kids made about a hundred each,for about 5 hours of car duty.they were probably making 7 or 8 a hour a hour for there regular duties anyway.sorry fof the fing spelling issues.will be remidied tomorrow.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
do dave and others i am getting uo and going out t my burn barre. myself and my 2 pals.zues and duke.going to fire it up and when she is burning real hot throw this fing keypad in.enjoy a couple laginitus maximus beers and a glass of crown.goodnite to all fellow patriots.if not a patriot please never address any future thread i start.or bother addressing me,thankks to myself and others who have defended this at one time greatest country on earth,also the smartest peopl who ever lived on this earth were the men who wrote our constitution and bill or rights and meaninful laws..your read it today and there forethought and intellect to put in place a constitution that is still perfectly relevant today as it will be in another 250 years.how the hell they had that insight is beyond anything i have ever read for this nation,sorry for rambling.if you voted for the worst politician of the last 5 decades along with the without ? dumbest so called female on earth in cameltoe. plese dont respond to any thread or post i respond to IMMEDIATE AFTER MY POST,respond all you want as it is your right.i only ask nicely not immediately to mine.thank you for that.yes sir jimmy carter was the worst and weakest president in history to that point,but he was not evil and was truly a kind and decent human,then we had 0ne of the greatest in ronny regan,also abraham lincoln might be the greatest ever.now today after some of you on this site voted in the top all time weakest coward and dispicable person. who anyone with a iq over 75 knew he was dementia ridden.incapable,why he was in the basement for over 2 years.actually in reality trump won the election by a large greater total than he beat hillary..but if you payed attention at all thelast 20 hours the illegal and dispicable vote dump started.then our so called supreme court would not follow up on the big lie.politics mahe the mafia of old and organized crime look like kindergarten.there are 335 that run the 300 million.trump and maybe a couple others are ok.trump because he is no scum bag politician..any i hope for all patriots a fair election process in november is a possibility.with the tech the far left worst terrorists on earthwho hide with smoke and mirrors and lie so easily with no regard for anything but the 335.i give this upcoming election a 1% chance of honesty.anyway.fire and cocktail time have to let zeus and duke out.my last annoying diatribe.l

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
dave i also owned kom and sleeping indian.the garment manufacturer called his buisness autumnwood outfitters.sure you had been to to the harrisburg spoertsman show,maybe not.long drive for you.mow dont get me wrong kom was a quality garment.by the way i an intelligent enough to spell,but this keyboard is failing and gives the impression i cannot.my apologies,just dont feel like retyping.anyway with wool there are a few distinctions.one is wool pick per inch fiber,like 22 vs 24 with these top brands.other terms i cant recall now.but there were some differences.anyway king cavalier was the owner of kom and the 1st to become the largest wool garments for the hunting industry.biggest seller all time.yet he was a smaller stature than others and his clothing line reflected it when i 1st bought his garments at the harrisburg show i had the opportunity to fortunately try them on.at that time a was 6 ft tall and weighed 210.but my upper body was much larger than normal due to weight training for years.i made a big mistake and orderen a vest plus heavy jacket and the pants tried the pants for size and they were good,but 2 waist sizes different than my jeans.anyway.good stuff with life time quality if taken care of.so 2 years later i tried on the sleeping indian.for me much truer to fit size,more ball room and overall .the equal to or better than kom.as far as warmth on a alberta treestand as the sleeping indian had a better lining in the vest and large jacket was warmer as well on those minus 20 to 25 degree days and god help you if the wind blew.so you know i bought the pants,bibs vest and jacket,also had the white mickey army boots back then early 90s.unbelivable warmth.so i sold all my kom to a guy i knew.now to your point jeff you im guessing had unlined sleeping indian ?.my bibs and pants werent lined but i always had quality long underwear underneath shirt and vest.used it for several years and loved it.now to the autumnwood garments.guys name was cook schiavone.his family grandparents and parents started out making womens clothing for the medium priced clothing.became very wealthy.so cook never worried about money.he hunted and played golf for a long time as a teenager and young adult,forget what college he attended but 90% sure penn state.then he played pro ball in the 60s for the vikings.tight end as he was 6 ft 4 and weighed about 240 then,was a friend of chuck foreman star running back.anyway when he was in his late 30s he decided he wanted to make the finest wool hunting garments on earth,lol after havind a disagreement with king c of kom.so he went forward on his plan,he redid part of his families manufacturing plants.went to new zealand to set up importing sas good a wool on the planet,remember what i said erlier about warp and pick per inch.kom and sleeping indian were 22 pick per inch.autumnwood was 24.a tighter weave which means more waemth and more water repellent,also had a very water repellant inside membrane that felt like silk, he made more options with if you wanted fleece inside the wool or the silk like membrane or all 3 he would do it anywat you wanted,but priced accordingly to upgrades.most important they were sized correctly and gave extra room within all sizes for extreme comfort.shoulders and arms no binding as well as ass and ball room a plenty in bibs and pants.the kom booth got smaller and smaller and smaller at the shows..he actually stopped making his most extreme jackets which fortunately i asked him to make me and he did.people actually told him unless it was minus 25 or less it was to warm with just long underwear and a quality fleece under garment.i still hunt alberta every other year.depent on forecast i will take it sometimes.in 2000 i still went skiing.went up to gore mountain for the weekend.i knew the owners and staff.there were 20 cars in the lot.they didnt want to ope. about 45 of us convinced them to run thr gondola just one trip to the top..wel the temp at the top with no wing was - 46 fahrenheit.the wind at the top was blowing 35 to 40 mph.hair in nose froze in one breath.so about 1/3rd never got off the gondala.the rest of us lunatics started down.how this i a 15 minute descent when moving fast.had that jacket o with all my regular skiing clothes.fun lasted 2 minutes,then it was survial for around the eyes hands and legs and feet.half way down my knees were freezing to the point of i had to finish snowplowwing which is begginer level.we all made to the people watching from the lodge came out to help us take the skis off.walked like a 100 year old to a table near the fireplace,moral of the story my upper body never even had a chill with that jacket.other than that we stayed at the bar and lounge area,gave the young kids there 20 a piece to start all the cars every half hour and run for 5 minutes.well 3 kids made about a hundred each,for about 5 hours of car duty.they were probably making 7 or 8 a hour a hour for there regular duties anyway.sorry fof the fing spelling issues.will be remidied tomorrow.

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Freezer fillen.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
180 yards .
Big-time DRT.
The deer flipper doesn't disappoint.
I've never seen a rifle cartridge combo put deer down this hard.
dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice stuff Dave. The STW might be that โ€œoneโ€ youโ€™ve always been looking for.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.