Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by 12344mag
20 yards maybe less, on the fight and closing fast. 35 Whelen and 275 grain RN Hornady.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Not big game but called in a coyote and killed him at eight feet and still coming.

You have a twin brother here in Michigan.

I've been told I have doppelgangers in a few states. I was in a bar in Richland, WA one evening when two attractive girls sidled up next to me and each kissed me on the cheek saying, "hi Kevin." The stunned look on my face must have cued them. They both turned red and said, "you're not Kevin are you?" I said I could be. They claimed I looked just like Kevin, whoever he is.

I'll see if I can get a picture of him next time I see him. I hope you took advantage of both of them.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whitetails, several, within 10 or 15 feet. Have also missed a couple that close too, but I was much younger.
A younger person will sometimes pick their head up off the stock to watch the deer fall.
You gotta get in the habit of keeping your cheek glued to the wood, no matter what you’re shooting, or what you’re shooting at.
It’s very easy to lose that contact if you’re not concentrating, shotgun or rifles.
Trigger time is very important if you wanna shoot good.
It’s a self discipline, but you’d be surprised how many hunters and shooters lack it!
Like the old saying says, “practice makes perfect”.
One thing that has made me a much deadlier hunter is hunting squirrel with a rifle. You learn to be patient, waiting for a shot to present itself. Squirrels are pretty forgiving, Deer ain’t so much. But I’ve learned on squirrels, and I’ll pass up shots on deer if I’m not certain.
Not bragging, but 95% of my deer shooting is bang-flop because I have developed that discipline by hunting squirrels.
There few things more heartbreaking than losing a crippled deer, and time spent trying to recover wounded critters is aggravating. I’m getting older, and going home empty handed is a better choice than blasting one and tracking or losing it.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 11/28/22.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Killed: Deer at ~10 feet. Rabbit at ~5 feet.

“Could have killed” deer at the end of a .22 rifle barrel. Raccoon at the end of a .357 revolver muzzle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I guess bow and bangstick both ?

Bow from a ladder stand as the deer walked
between the tree trunk and the legs of the stand.
Gun about 10-12 steps in a heavy AM fog

Squirrel right underneath a ladder stand as
it was barking at me for hunting out of his
favorite (?) tree. Lucky shot and skewered
it to the ground with an arrow as if I'd done
it by hand

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Somewhere around 4 feet. Whitetail doe was in a blackberry thicket was walking by. Saw her head pop up. .308 just below the head into the neck. 150 gr SST almost took her head off. Skin on each side was all that was holding it on. Worst part was wading into that thicket to retrieve her.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A 6 x 6 bull elk at 12' as he came steaming through the dense aspen coming to a bugle. Upped the heart rate a bit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
About 2 feet, whitetail doe walking up a trail

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Boy....its happen several times....once hunting on Federal Preserve anterless muzzleloader only hunt had to take a dump when I just got to a good spot had my waiters down and a doe walked up to me shot it at like 4' in the head had to wait until the smoke cleared to find it almost at my feet...shot a buck in the UP was sitting with a very large tree to my back the buck walked up from behind me as it passed less than 2' away I just brought the gun barrel enough to shoot didn't aim or shoulder the gun....buck dropped at the shot with a neck shot....was duck hunting on a State Game Area draw hunt only needed one more duck for our 3 man limit a drake mallard came buzzing the tops of the corn I fired a shot from my hip blew the ducks head off at about 5' with my Browning O/U it was the last hunt that lead shot could be used....never use that gun ever again duck hunting.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
12 feet on a whitetail with a then new .22-250...so at least I learned it shot flat out to that range....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cow elk at 10’ or so.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6-8 feet on deer.

Even closer if you don't count the downward distance from a tree stand.

Politics is War by Other Means
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
About 10’ on a deer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I could have shot a decent young 8 point Whitetail at about 5 feet once, but I just couldn't see the challenge in it. It would have been 100% legal, but it just didn't seem right at the time. I was sitting against a tree and the deer just walked up on me staring to the point I thought he was going to charge or use me as a pin cushion. I just waved my arms and he took off like a scalded dog. I think he was just curious and was trying to figure out what I was. I was looking for his Daddy anyway.

Last edited by reivertom; 11/29/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Point Blank Range - Black Bear.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black bear at about 10 feet that i wanted to chase away and was not leaving so he filled one tags.

Black bear at about 30 feet, i wanted this big boy.

Bush pig at 30 yards.

Cape buffalo at about 25 to 30 yards.

White tail at about 15 feet, just stood there and had a sign on him that said shoot me.

Antelope at about 20 feet. Ran up and stopped broad side to me.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My first deer, back then we hunted them with hounds she bounced out of a wall of briers about 10ft in front of me. Buckshot in the face. DRT.
Deer were considered a pest back then. Now the land owners are enjoying good money leasing to clubs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
20 yards maybe less, on the fight and closing fast. 35 Whelen and 275 grain RN Hornady.

Not big game but called in a coyote and killed him at eight feet and still coming.

Kind of surprising you even have some of those bullets. I think Hornady dropped them prior to 1964. I got lucky and found a few at a gun show and think about working up a load if I can find a few more. I have all the Hornady load manuals including #1 which shows that bullet as discontinued. I'm guessing probably 1962 or 3 is when they dropped it.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Couple of deer inside 20 yards, and more than a few hogs inside 20’. There was one dink at about 20’ but I never considered them to be big game. Kinda like the coyote I nailed one day at about 10-15’. Medium game at best.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
1st deer

It was a nice 6pt.

I was 13 hunting with my older brother, he stuck me up in a old pine tree that had a perfect place to sit about 6 ft off the ground. He figured I would stay put and not wander off.

Hour or so later this buck comes down the trail and stops directly under me, 20 gauge pumpkin ball stopped him for good. Shot was 6 ft down

Last edited by old_willys; 11/29/22.

Ted
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Kind of surprising you even have some of those bullets. I think Hornady dropped them prior to 1964. I got lucky and found a few at a gun show and think about working up a load if I can find a few more. I have all the Hornady load manuals including #1 which shows that bullet as discontinued. I'm guessing probably 1962 or 3 is when they dropped it.
PJ

They show up from time to time on GB and the gun shows. Gun shops that buy whole estates or sell collections on consignment are good sources sometimes for some of the old stuff.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 280shooter, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,669
Posts18,399,403
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.