Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know why but I have it in my head that I'd like a stouter 45 Colt. Natural choice is a Ruger Blackhawk of some flavor.

I see they make one with an additional 45ACP cylinder.

For those that have them - how often are you shooting that ACP cylinder vice Colt? Wondering if it is worth chasing down the convertible vs just a regular 45 Colt. I have a new Vaquero and 1911 so I'm versed in 45 Colt and ACP from an ammo perspective.

So - worth it or just snag the first decent Blackhawk that comes along? Thinking next year as we're almost done with this year.

Me

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only draw of the convertible for me would be if I had access to large amounts of free or cheap ammo in .45ACP.

I do believe that commonly available bulk .45ACP is more available and cheaper than .45 Colt factory stuff, but I'd be casting (or buying cast) and loading my own before long

I'd prefer the straight up .45 Colt

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bisley
Stainless

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I had a 4-5/8" Blackhawk Convertible years ago (like 20 or so) and wound up trading it for my Bisley.

I REALLY like a 4-5/8" Blackhawk anything, but in the 2 or 3 years that I owned it, I never fired the ACP cylinder. For one thing, I didn't handload .45 ACP's yet (likely the biggest factor), but now (20 years down the road) I usually shoot 286 grain 270-SAA's at 1,000fps out of my Bisley, and can't imagine that an ACP load would hit close to where my sights are at the 25+ yard line.

The Blackhawk was blued with the AL grip frame and ejector rod housing. That plus the shorter barrel made it a lighter, handier package than the Bisley. My Bisley (Bowen tuned) shoots like it has eyes, but the Blackhawk shot very well. The "big bore but handy" niche has been filled with a Kimber 1911 for the last 15 years.

I say go for it. I did like mine.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had one years ago. Being a handloader, I chose to shoot it with the .45 Colt cylinder most of the time. I never worked out an accuracy load for it with .45ACP.

IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the experiences.

I reload and that's why I'm a fan of the 45 Colt. I'm even 90% set up for casting but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet.

Bought the Vaquero almost 10 years ago and it's a fun shooter. Got a 480R Bisley 2 years ago (?) and that's nice too and am developing a fondness and interest in the Blackhawks more and more. Most all of them are 357 Mag tho around me and while I get it - it's just not for me. I like the bigger ones. (that's what she said)

Took this old Ruger ad and had it burned on canvas as a camp decoration.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one back in the 80's. Back then you could buy bulk .45 ACP ammo dirt cheap. I thought it would go nicely with my 1911.
I soon learned that I hated single action and traded it to a friend for a Security Six and never looked back.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

Man, that is cool.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a lipsey Ruger new model flat top convertible. It is a great revolver with either cylinder. When I bought it I thought the .45 Colt cylinder would be in it most of the time. While it is very accurate with both cylinders the .45acp is kind of amazing. Don’t know why.
Fun revolver, get one, you will enjoy it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see they make one with an additional 45ACP cylinder.

For those that have them - how often are you shooting that ACP cylinder vice Colt?

I have a stainless Ruger Bisley convertible. I enjoy the convertible option.

Often when I go to shoot the gun, I am looking for the experience of it--the size, the weight, dragging hammers with my thumbs, etc. It's not so much about how much oomph behind the bullet. With that in mind, the .45 ACP is nice, because I run that cartridge on my Dillon have a bunch of it. I have to single-stage the .45 Colt stuff, and of course, that takes time. There is no discernible difference in recoil between light 250 gr Colt loads vs high book 230gr ACP loads.

Sometimes, however, I want stiffer loads, which means .45 Colt. I shoot various loads from John Linebaugh and the "strong action only" section of my load manuals. That's fun too. I even toted my .45 Colt for elk one year. I didn't shoot one, but it added another dimension of fun to hunting.

I mainly shoot .45 ACP at the range, but am very glad to have the .45 Colt option as well. I find that the convertible was an excellent choice for my needs.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen

Man, that is cool.

Thanks. My girlfriend made it. Couple coats of white paint on the canvas followed by black and then burned off with a laser to create the image/shading etc.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had two Blackhawk convertibles, both 4 5/8". Both shot .45 Colts a lot better than .45 ACPs, but I never loaded the ACPs especially for the Blackhawks, the ACP ammo was loaded for my 1911s, and just used in the RBHs for fun and to see how they shot.

I liked both of them, but since I mostly shoot ACPs anyway, I just traded them off for this or that. I suspect the cylinder jump was the culprit for the poorer accuracy I got with the ACPs, but it might have been my taper crimped loads just didn't fit the cylinder very well. Both shot the the .45 Colts quite well. I just decided to go another direction.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SS336
I have a lipsey Ruger new model flat top convertible. It is a great revolver with either cylinder. When I bought it I thought the .45 Colt cylinder would be in it most of the time. While it is very accurate with both cylinders the .45acp is kind of amazing. Don’t know why.
Fun revolver, get one, you will enjoy it.

Those are gorgeous. Who made the bottom grips?

Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a blued Blackhawk convertible 5.5" that shoots really well with 45 acp cylinder and loads of home cast powder coated stuff I loaded for my 1911 and xdm.

I really want the stainless flattop 4&5/8ths lipseys exclusive. I had one on order for about 3 years but have finally started bidding on them on gunbroker when they come up. I missed one on Thanksgiving that went for under $1000. When I get one my 5.5" blued Blackhawk will be for sale. I Hage a 4&5/8ths super Blackhawk stainless 44 mag I like but I really want the lighter flattop 45 convertible.

Bb

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Dumb question, but are the Flattop .45 Colt Blackhawks on the .357 size frame or the .44 frame?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=SS336]Those are gorgeous. Who made the bottom grips?

Thanks, Esmeralda made the grips, they are pretty fancy.

I believe the Flattops are on the smaller frame. More Colt SAA size.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I enjoy my convertible.....it's nice to have options!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I really like mine, but honestly I've only shot the ACP cylinder a couple of times. I just don't think about it much I guess.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like having the option to shoot either.

Load for both, but I've got around 1,500 rounds of 45 acp, so prefer to plink with that. Edited to add; especially when I loan it to the kid's, hate to have them blasting off my nice 45 Colt loads.

Jerry

Ruger Lipsey's FT;
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 11/30/22.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have any of you had a .357/9mm? If so, how did the 9mm shoot?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.