Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Going to can some pheasant thighs later tonight. Any tricks or special recipes? Right now leaning towards raw pack with maybe some chicken broth but never done them. Thanks

GB2

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Found a simple recipe for bone in chicken canning. Running with that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be interested in hearing how they turn out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm interested too.

I'd raw pack with a little salt or a chicken bullion cube. I bet you don't need to add broth.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ended up doing that. Raw pack, quart size wide mouth jars, teaspoon of bullion, 2 teaspoons of canning salt. Processed 75 minutes for bone in poultry and adjusted pressure for altitude. Not really pleasing looking lol but going to open a jar later this week to see how it works. Pheasant legs are always a chore for me and thinking this may make it easier. I'll update later after trying it out.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds good

Keep us posted.

That probably is the only way to make those things tender!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d like to hear results as well.

Anymore I filet the breasts out for “tenders,” and everything else goes into soup.

That way I use the entire bird, loosen up some flesh for eating, and you can get some good canning ingredients as well.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tag.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, you guys are going to need to try this one out. I started with 21 pheasant legs. No 3 legged or 1 legged birds were harmed, I simply sorted through the pile looking for legs and thighs that were not shot. Goal was to not have to look for pellets or bone pieces after canning and deboning/tendoning.

Here is what I found. In a quart jar, if you cut a ring around the thigh/leg joint so they fold tight, a guy can get 6 legs in there. In a pint, you can get 3. I added 1 teaspoon of chicken boullion and 2 teaspoons of canning salt per quart. Half that for pints. A guy could do less salt if desired I am sure. Processed at 15 psi due to altitude for 75 minutes in canner.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In the jar they do not look very appetizing. Pop that seal and grab one though and the tendons and bones just fall out. I got enough out of this pint to make a nice sized batch of bbq for lunch today. Texture was perfect and wife and I loved it. While we were chowing down we discussed using for pheasant enchiladas, pheasants with cheese and crackers, and for added flavor in venison stew. I did not have a need for the broth in this batch but it would make a great addition to a stew.

I've got to rate this very high on list of favorite canning projects. Give it shot.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 30338
Okay, you guys are going to need to try this one out. I started with 21 pheasant legs. No 3 legged or 1 legged birds were harmed, I simply sorted through the pile looking for legs and thighs that were not shot. Goal was to not have to look for pellets or bone pieces after canning and deboning/tendoning.

Here is what I found. In a quart jar, if you cut a ring around the thigh/leg joint so they fold tight, a guy can get 6 legs in there. In a pint, you can get 3. I added 1 teaspoon of chicken boullion and 2 teaspoons of canning salt per quart. Half that for pints. A guy could do less salt if desired I am sure. Processed at 15 psi due to altitude for 75 minutes in canner.

In the jar they do not look very appetizing. Pop that seal and grab one though and the tendons and bones just fall out. I got enough out of this pint to make a nice sized batch of bbq for lunch today. Texture was perfect and wife and I loved it. While we were chowing down we discussed using for pheasant enchiladas, pheasants with cheese and crackers, and for added flavor in venison stew. I did not have a need for the broth in this batch but it would make a great addition to a stew.

I've got to rate this very high on list of favorite canning projects. Give it shot.

Fantastic!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi 30338,

Can you send me 10 jars, willing to pay in US Dollars :o)

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/02/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done! Gonna have to give that a thunk next time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
207 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.