Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have an all terrain golf cart already.

No thanks at $25k...

I have looked into this route as well. May still look into it further 25k is dang hard to swallow. I will say though the Kinetic at 25K is on par with other 1000 series side by sides new nowadays and supposedly with the HP and torque the electric gives it it would pull a similar gas rig 1000 series around backward.

I could build one hell of a 4wd golf cart for cheaper for sure.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
No thx.......

No charging stations out here

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great pic and agreed no good out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I’ll stick with gasoline powered vehicles until there are none. And by then , I’ll be gone too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by Teal
For me it has 2 strikes against it -

1. Polaris
2. Electric off road

I'd not bother sticking around waiting for a third.

I'll give you another strike - weight - 2,000 pounds.

You can purchase a good condition "street legal" 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door with A/C and heat for $20,000. I don't understand the side by side craze.

Sorry but bad comparison. 2011 Jeep wrangler weighs 3800-4800lbs according to Jeep specs on the internet. Kinetic is 1730lbs estimate. Plus is gas / loud. Whole point is something I can drive offroad as quiet as possible and not tear up the farm fields like the Jeep would.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Make sure you bring along plenty of hot dogs and marshmallows for when the fuqqer burns to the ground. $25,000.00 that's insane.

Great reply thanks point well taken. If i do buy one and that happens I will absolutely take pics of me roasting hot dogs over it and post it here. Thanks again.

Scott

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like everything prices will come down as the technology advances. Polaris has had a model called the EV out for a while and I’ve heard good things about it.

I love the idea of an electric UTV. I tried to go the golf cart route with a lift and mud tires but it didn’t do real well - and my roads are in great shape all else considered.

But a reasonably priced heavier duty electric utv I would definitely try. My property is only 350 acres with power onsite so range isn’t much of a concern

First generation at $25k? I’ll stick with my current UTV and let others be the Guinea pig

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The lack of range and the reliability question are deal breakers for me. The terrain I hunt is hilly in places, with Georgia red clay bottoms, and some creek crossings to get from one side of the lease to another. The creek crossings have been the nemesis of a couple of electric SXS's, including a Bad Boy that got water into the throttle controller. I didn't see it happen, but the look on the driver's face afterward told me it was a life changing experience. It apparently launched itself through the creek and down a gully on the other side before he could shut it off. Might have been some soiled underwear during his adventure.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by badger
The lack of range and the reliability question are deal breakers for me. The terrain I hunt is hilly in places, with Georgia red clay bottoms, and some creek crossings to get from one side of the lease to another. The creek crossings have been the nemesis of a couple of electric SXS's, including a Bad Boy that got water into the throttle controller. I didn't see it happen, but the look on the driver's face afterward told me it was a life changing experience. It apparently launched itself through the creek and down a gully on the other side before he could shut it off. Might have been some soiled underwear during his adventure.

Agreed these units will have to be well sealed electric and water are a bad mix. However I am sure it can be done there is a company in Texas called Vulcan i believe that makes electric off road vehicles including side by sides and motorcycles that the company says can actually run underwater.

The range issue is a concern as well but for my purposes I cant see running more than 20 miles away from the camp at any time

Last edited by scotts308; 11/29/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Feels like the golf cart builders have 3/4 of this code cracked already...am I wrong?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by Teal
For me it has 2 strikes against it -

1. Polaris
2. Electric off road

I'd not bother sticking around waiting for a third.

I'll give you another strike - weight - 2,000 pounds.

You can purchase a good condition "street legal" 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door with A/C and heat for $20,000. I don't understand the side by side craze.

If you've ever jarred your teeth out of your head for a few hours on some mountain 2-track out west then you'd understand.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 21 Ranger is pushing 2k lbs. No issue there.

Guys that think a Jeep is the way to go have zero clue.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scotts308
Originally Posted by badger

Agreed these units will have to be well sealed electric and water are a bad mix. However I am sure it can be done there is a company in Texas called Vulcan i believe that makes electric off road vehicles including side by sides and motorcycles that the company says can actually run underwater.

The range issue is a concern as well but for my purposes I cant see running more than 20 miles away from the camp at any time

I can not find it but yesterday I just read a post on LinkedIn where someone got an EV as a work vehicle. Had it 6 weeks and basically called it out for junk.

XXX mile range at 100% charge, yet you were told to only charge to 80%. Even at 80% you got less than 1/2 the advertised range on the car. Charging was problematic and took forever. Much longer than advertised.

I know an EV car isn't the same as this but considering the billions spent by Tesla/VW/Ford/GM only to produce 1/2 of advertised - I'd be shocked that Polaris, somehow is ahead of them on EV tech with their 8.2b total revenue.

Just saying - Polaris might claim 45 miles, don't be shocked if it's 20.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to the electric Ranger, I could see it being ok on a ranch with other UTV's that were gas powered.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The big catch for me is the price, 25k for the base model to start MSRP.

The gas powered same model retails for $11,600. And weighs about 600 pounds less.

Over $13k more expensive. Weighs 600 pounds more. Has a pipe dream range of 45 miles...

PT Barnum was right.

I bet they won't sell many like that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are there incentives for them to build electric ones like there are for autos?

I can see it being a pretty big market eventually.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

The gas powered same model retails for $11,600. And weighs about 600 pounds less.

Over $13k more expensive. Weighs 600 pounds more. Has a pipe dream range of 45 miles...

PT Barnum was right.

Easy pass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

PT Barnum was right.

So you are comparing it to the 500?

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

PT Barnum was right.

No sir. The Polaris Ranger 1000 xp MSRP is $20,299 and weighs 1625lbs. The Kinetic MSRP 24,999 and weighs 1730lbs. All per the Polaris website you are way off in your numbers.

Also the 2022's were all sold out before they were available in stores due to pre-orders. According to a local dealer 2023 due to pre-orders are likely an 8 month wait time if I order today,

Last edited by scotts308; 11/29/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1625 dry if I remember right.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They have their uses. I’ve used the Polaris Ranger EV while guiding for an Illinois Whitetail outfitter. I like them so much I bought one at $13k new for use on my Georgia farm. They are way better in about every category other than price over a hyped up elec golf cart. They will carry 4 men and a 200 lb whitetail up a hill….no not a rocky 80degree snow covered mountain but I’ve seen it work on about a 45 degree incline in Pike Co Illinois. They charge quick, have tons of torque (3 gear ranges), quiet as a mouse, fast enough (25mph) decent range,etc

For my use I love the thing. When I bought it new a few years ago there was. $6k option for Li battery upgrade at $20k total. I opted not to get that battery package thinking when this regular battery set croaks in a few years I’ll upgrade to Li then.

For use around a hunting farm with access to electric they are great. If elec not available or running longer distance or paved roads I’d stay with gas.

Oh yeah, I guess Polaris reliability is hit/miss with some. I’ve owned this one, two ATVs, and snow mobiles made by Polaris and they all been as reliable or more reliable that other mfgs I have experience with.

FWIW….

Hardin284
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.