Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If a high end destination for pheasant hunting decided to hire a "resort manager" or a "general manager" to run the operation...where would one look for that kind of talent?

Other lodges, other resorts, hospitality industry...seems too specialized to have broad employee search techniques applied but perhaps that is the way to approach it. I can't imagine that the job requirements at their core are a lot different from one type of resort to the next. Food service, facility maintenance, HR, etc. Some nuances to be sure but at core, seems the same to me. Thoughts from anyone?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check with Slumlord, he's been Pheasant Hunting with everybody who is anybody.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd start looking and posting here;

RANCHWORK.COM LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Maybe I’m wrong but I’d think someone taking that job would need to know a lot about habitat and pheasant rearing methods etc along with the hospitality knowledge. Then again is that a seperate manager hire?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That person needs to understand people first and foremost. They need to understand the wants and needs of ornery, rich dudes that always get their way. People pay the bills, not the pheasants. I'd look for a previous guide, resort manager, even general contractor that did high end customs, on LinkedIn, indeed, NSSA job bulletin, and definitely call/email targeted individuals currently employed.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Osky
Maybe I’m wrong but I’d think someone taking that job would need to know a lot about habitat and pheasant rearing methods etc along with the hospitality knowledge. Then again is that a seperate manager hire?

Osky

I'd think I'd want 2 roles.

One to manage the business, one to manage the habitat/science.

I'd look to hospitality/hotel/resort types for the former, maybe Pheasant's Forever/DNR for the latter. Expensive I know but I'm feeling like top talent for one is unlikely to have top chops in the other at the same time.

Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Teal

Osky

I'd look to hospitality/hotel/resort types for the former, maybe Pheasant's Forever/DNR for the latter. Expensive I know but I'm feeling like top talent for one is unlikely to have top chops in the other at the same time.

Makes sense. An unknown is the rest of the year? What if any is this upper end set up doing for revenue structure other than pheasant hunts? Hard to think operating costs, taxes, base improvements, asset upkeep, year round utilities etc can be supported by a pheasant season. Maybe.
I think there is a lot more to this operation we don’t have info on.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for responses so far, keep them coming, this is helping. Habitat management/pheasant biology is pretty well baked in already, not alot of call to change that up. What a GM needs to know about it will come fairly easily. Pheasants delivered every other day, need to source them from several operations in order to minimize risk. This is much more about making sure the guests are given the experience they crave/pay for. Delivering on the promise, I guess is one way to put it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal

Osky

Makes sense. An unknown is the rest of the year? What if any is this upper end set up doing for revenue structure other than pheasant hunts? Hard to think operating costs, taxes, base improvements, asset upkeep, year round utilities etc can be supported by a pheasant season. Maybe.
I think there is a lot more to this operation we don’t have info on.

Osky

The fancy "wedding location/banquet" is popular here with raised pheasant/sporting clays clubs as a revenue stream. That and open restaurant/kitchen Thur-Sat nights too.

The more you ask of 1 person to do - the less each area of expertise gets attention. Splitting time between the business and the property means, at best, each gets 50% of that guy's attention which can lead to a lot getting missed and pressure on the other 1/2 of the equation.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try looking for the manager of a Country Club. They know how to keep rich people happy. Most have knowledge about customer service, the physical plant, working with the superintendent of the golf course...........
They wear a lot of hats.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of overlap with CC management, I agree.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was at a high-end quail shooting operation (if you consider $2000/day high end) a few weeks ago. There is a guy who manages the kennels/dogs/training/guides/hunting activities, but has nothing to do with food, hospitality, agricultural operations or horses. He does have a home on the property and is on the books as a sub-contractor.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I think I would look for a outgoing dude with a wildlife management background. Someone with a working knowledge of habitat that has common sense and can deal with people.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BKinSD
If a high end destination for pheasant hunting decided to hire a "resort manager" or a "general manager" to run the operation...where would one look for that kind of talent?

Other lodges, other resorts, hospitality industry...seems too specialized to have broad employee search techniques applied but perhaps that is the way to approach it. I can't imagine that the job requirements at their core are a lot different from one type of resort to the next. Food service, facility maintenance, HR, etc. Some nuances to be sure but at core, seems the same to me. Thoughts from anyone?

I have a friend who performs this role for a high end fishing “resort” in eastern ID. She’s an outdoorsy person but no fly fishing expert to be sure. Her skills and background are more from the GM side and in general a person who wants things to go smoothly and for everyone to have an incredible time for the money they spend.

Before this role, she remodeled and was running her own salon/spa/AirBB location which is still hers but she delegated to her employees.

My point is, it’s probably more about the person, their experience, and outlook than anything...you probably already know someone who could do a great job because they’re doing a great job at something else right now.

Fear the crabcat.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Look at Harpole’s Heartland Lodge for a business model of how to generate multiple revenue streams, including pheasant hunting but not solely dependent on it.

You may call around to places like this to see if their current owner or manager knows of the type you of manager you are looking for, and who is available

Hardin284
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get the number of every "like" business you can find....sort out the ones with the best reviews.....call and ask to speak to manager.... offer job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know someone who checks off all of the boxes and forwarded this thread.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hardway
Get the number of every "like" business you can find....sort out the ones with the best reviews.....call and ask to speak to manager.... offer job.

Careful with this. Can cast you and your lodge in a bad light as a poacher.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Coolworks.com used to be a site I used to find specialty jobs like that.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the tips and the thoughts, keep them coming

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.