Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m really amazed at how many folks recheck the torque on all of the screws.

Mine are torqued with Loctite applied to clean threads……it would be quite a feat for them to loosen! If they did, it would be very apparent at the 300 yard zero check!

I did fail to mention the “bore obstruction” check. Though, mine always has electrical tape re applied post hunting season, or post interim shooting……so, there should be no obstructions! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I arrived in camp one day about forty years ago, and found the 165 gr ballistic tips were seated a few 1/1000s long for the bolt to close on my 30-06. Out of 100 rounds I managed to seat the bullet a little deeper on about 20, and killed a deer with one shot the next day.

But aftet that every round got cycled through the rifle before leaving home.

I always fired a couple fouling shots at home or along the road before arriving at camp.

That old 670 really tossed the first shot from a clean bore. By the third she settled into head shooting grouse to 80 yards mode.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by memtb

Mine are torqued with Loctite applied to clean threads……it would be quite a feat for them to loosen! If they did, it would be very apparent at the 300 yard zero check!

I did fail to mention the “bore obstruction” check. Though, mine always has electrical tape re applied post hunting season, or post interim shooting……so, there should be no obstructions! memtb

I take my stock off after every hunting season. I don't neglect them, but I'm hard on the rifles. Snow, rain, twigs, pine needles all get under the stock especially where the barrel is free floated. No other option but to take the stock off and clean it and then retorque it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle prep?
My rifle is just a prop to fool the wife, it doesn’t even leave the case at camp.
We just drink, play cards, smoke cigars, and tell lies at deer camp.
There’s no deer in Nevada.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by MPat70
If it's a rifle I have not handled in a while I will go through it and give it a thorough wipe down and run a patch through the barrel.

If it's a regular then I just while it down and run a patch down the barrel.

I may give it a few practice shots to confirm zero

I never run a patch down mine before hunting. I verify zero then leave it dry.... tape the muzzle in inclement weather... an oiled/wet bore from a patch will change POI
Yes Sir I am aware of that. I was not clear on the patch process. I store my guns with a well lubed barrel. So when I say I just run a patch down it, it is a dry patch to remove any excess oil.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’ve never understood this obsession with “sighting in” the old deer rifle the day before season opens every year. If my rifle shot where I pointed it this year, how does it sitting in the safe change where it will hit next time I get it out? I cannot remember ever needing to adjust a scope after it was initially set, unless I changed scopes, mounts, loads, etc. Same goes for sights.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to be anal about shooting everything right before season. Didn't want to miss the big one because of something I messed up.

But year after year of nothing ever changing, and with the addition of allot more rifles.... I don't anymore.

It'd take me a week to check what I might pull out of the safe maybe possibly but probably not.

I'm blessed to be able to shoot off the back porch. So year round I'm shooting something. That's when they get checked.

Other than that I grab what I feel like and go kill deer.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by memtb

I take my stock off after every hunting season. I don't neglect them, but I'm hard on the rifles. Snow, rain, twigs, pine needles all get under the stock especially where the barrel is free floated. No other option but to take the stock off and clean it and then retorque it.

I like “full length” bedding to minimize the risk of debris or freezing water(expansion) getting in the barrel channel and causing a pressure point.

I don’t hunt as aggressively as I used too, so it stays relatively clean. If it gets submerged…..then a disassembly would certainly be in order! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.