-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
does anyone have the latest EL range with the whizbang tracking assist? a feature I could care less about, but what I am interested in. is the glass any better than the previous model? Any other differences with the ranging ability. if you owned the previous model it would be even more helpful. I am thinking about upgrading my gen 1 el range that I have been running for 10 years or so.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not own the latest EL Range (EL Range w/Tracking Assistant) but I have used them. In fact, I've used them side by side with the original EL Range. The latest version (EL Range TA) has Swarovision glass, whereas the originals did not. To my eye there is a slight difference - enough to warrant purchase them over the originals; I don't know.

Ranging remains pretty much the same. From ~10yds to roughly 2200yds. The feature that I liked most about the new EL Range TA was the ability to download the ballistics profile for 3 rifles, and set the readout for the number of clicks of elevation to dial the scope (assuming a Swarovski scope). The Tracking Assistant part is 'complicated'. Setting it up and using it the first time is frustrating, but in the end it does work. Not sure that I'd want to have to re-calibrate (if not hunting in the same locale) and re-learn its use each time I used the function. (There are a couple of good videos on YouTube that walk you thru the Tracking Assistant. One by The Outdoorsman and the other by Europtic).

All of this said, I'd be hard pressed to drop the big dollars on the new EL Range. The older versions perform well and if I already owned them, I'd stick with them and put the extra $$$ towards a hunt. YMMV.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the feedback. My son bought some Leica trinovids from Doug for like 800. And their glass kicks the crap out of my el range gen 1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Thanks for the feedback. My son bought some Leica trinovids from Doug for like 800. And their glass kicks the crap out of my el range gen 1

Ranging Trinovids?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Ranging Trinovids?

Ranging Trinovids? New one on me. Geovids, sure, but not for $800 unless Doug was on a bender. Geovids for $2500-2600 would be more likely.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Ranging Trinovids?

LOL of course not. just saying leica's non RF lower tier binoculars had quite a bit sharper glass in perfect light. if the difference is that noticeable in challenging conditions its going to be really noticeable.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.