24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This sound familiar? RoundOak’s second post back in 2009. Manure, Tractor, PTO, Spreader.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s-it-reliable-for-whitetails#Post3612997

He’s been full of shît from the jump.

🦫

Sierra 25 cal. 90 gr. HPBT is it reliable for whitetails?
#3612997 12/27/09
OPOffline
roundoak
Campfire Outfitter

This bullet is included in Sierra's GameKing group however I have always been skeptical on using a hollow point on deer. Back in the early 1970s I worked up some loads in my Savage Model 99-A 250-3000 and they turned out to be the most accurate loads ever for that rifle. The primary function of this rifle is to carry with me on ATVs, tractors, combines, horseback and in my trucks to shoot coyotes, feral pigs and varmints.

One November morning I was spreading manure in a field and spotted a nice 12 point buck laying on a sunny hillside about 200 yards away. Could not pass up this opportunity. Closed the distance on him to about 100 yards, stopped the tractor but left it running with PTO engaged on the spreader, uncased the gun and slowly dropped into a prone position in the snow. I quickly took aim figuring to take him bedded, but just then a flock of turkeys flew off the hillside headed for the spreaded manure trail in the snow, which unnerved the buck and he stood up broadside to me. I jerked the cross-hairs behind his front shoulder and fired. The deer now on the run offered me a couple shots with the first one causing a stumble and second one spilling him. After close inspection three wounds were found...one high on the right shoulder, one at the right elbow and when I turned him over there was one behind the left shoulder. Later that day I skinned him out and found a bullet lodged behind a rib opposite the entrance hole that weighed 37 grains. There was just schrapnel left from the bullets that hit the shoulder and elbow. The elbow was fractured. There was massive damage to the shoulder muscles. This was the first and last time I took a poke at a deer with the hollow points.

An unexpected turn of events allowed my son, who is in the Army, to come home for a few days last Thanksgiving. He wanted to hunt deer with the 99 for nostalgic reasons as it was the gun he started out with. I told him I did not have any 100 grain bullets to reload and the next day was opening day so he would have to shoot the 90 grain hollow points. He made a nice lung shot (150 yds) on a old dry doe. The bullet just wasted a large portion of the lungs. A respectable eight-point buck took two shots to keep it down. First shot was taken with deer facing him at 125 yards and second shot was a high lung shot. After we got the hide off the buck we could see the performance of the first shot. It entered the sternum and slightly punctured the left lung. The bullet weighed 41 grains. On the high lung shot which was taken on the run broadside, the bullet nicked a rib on entry went thru both lungs and was found in two pieces under the hide opposite the bullet entrance.

Is anyone getting good reliable results on deer with this bullet?

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In light of current events and since I hunt alone (no friends/8 dollar driveway boy), from this day forward I will be carrying a slip of paper with my campfire handle and the date and will place it in each kill shot to verify validity of all game taken. Might even use it for cock pitchers too, not sure yet on that.

Henceforth, The Campfire Roundoak Edict shall be in place whence any poster must provide irrefutable proof of legitimacy when posting hero shots.

That is all.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/29/22.

LOL
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U wanna B happy?

Lower your expectations!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Something clever here.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I wonder if Gopheroak and Roundgunner are sitting at a diner right now comparing stories?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Schidtt!

We're going to find out that Gopheroak is a flaming libtard also, aren't we?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
hillestadj.......I'm 61, fixin' to be 62 on 12/27......I SWEAR I am.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I wonder if Gopheroak and Roundgunner are sitting at a diner right now comparing stories?

Around a microwave potroast Hungry Man TV dinner.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Schidtt!

We already knew that.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Schidtt!

Could well be because libtard have no concept of truth or honesty they only believe the lies they tell.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I guess I better let yall know I’m fessin up about myself retiring from Johns Manville in 19 and 59

I just wanted to come off more old and douchey for Turdlike acceptance

I don’t think Nugget works at the dump either, I could do some back research on it. 🤣

How dare you! I have put in 5yrs of exemplary service here at that dump!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None of you ph uckers wouldn’t had been any wiser if it weren’t for the man in Florida no not mannlicher. You all would’ve kept telling him oh nice deer bro oh man so jealous can I come hunt with you bs.. I bet half you ph ucks sent him a pm oh bro can I come hunt on your place. Until deflave pointed out the obvious then all of the sudden you all are wait a minute..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 79S
None of you ph uckers wouldn’t had been any wiser if it weren’t for the man in Florida no not mannlicher. You all would’ve kept telling him oh nice deer bro oh man so jealous can I come hunt with you bs.. I bet half you ph ucks sent him a pm oh bro can I come hunt on your place. Until deflave pointed out the obvious then all of the sudden you all are wait a minute..

#hurtful

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S

I have zero desire to shoot a white tail off any land I don't own. NONE. Never done a "trip" for it, never will. Others might - fine for them, not for me.

Me

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by 79S

I have zero desire to shoot a white tail off any land I don't own. NONE. Never done a "trip" for it, never will. Others might - fine for them, not for me.

That’s you, most on here think they have the 24hour campfire bro connection and will try to use that as in to hunt with people.. I guarantee you bag of dump pickled eggs roundoak was getting pm’s people asking about hunting with him..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey roundoak little Sammy and I, been hunting public land last two years and nothing he’s getting frustrated anyway you could let us hunt with you? Not looking for b&c thanks!

Signed
Frustrated Dad

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
He'll still invite me.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Perfectly good shootin mostly dinks off tha homeplace here.

FJB & FJT
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
He'll still invite me.

Lucky! I have bad Halitosis so no one will take me hunting with them. Nugget

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.