Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Start with Virgin Brass and drive a positive headspaced false shoulder,out of the gate. From there,never move more brass than you have to. Hint.............
This is pretty much my mantra.

But I have purchased a lot of once-fired brass that I've annealed and meticulously sized as little as possible. I also separate ammo by the gun for which it's loaded. I prefer neck sizing in collet dies, as it reduces the need to trim cases.

I don't load any belted-cases anymore, but I never had an issue with them. The belt never caused any problems for me.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
BSA I have the Hornady bullet comparator set. If the headstamp bushings will fit the anvil, I can pick those up as well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by beretzs
It does make me laugh when folks piss and moan about a belt. It’s really nonexistent to me.

My bitch with belted cartridges isn't the belt per se, but the amount of slop that is often present in the fit of new brass to chamber even when both chamber and brass are within specification.

Some guys are always going to bitch about something. Again, I've never had any issues and I've shot and owned a chit ton of belted magnum rifles. You better just stick to your tried and true 308 mathman..

Ditch the attitude. I was successfully loading belted magnums forty years ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Virgin forming shot,is the one which compromises brass the most. I want total and finite control of headspace,from the first shot to the last,if only for safety,brass life and accuracy/precision. Hint.

BSA sucks a mean ass,as she GoogleFu's madly for a FIRST Clue,but she just can't ever connect a single fhuqking dot,by herself. Ask her how the 108's are doing? Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This what they be talkin' about.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of my belted mag rifles have acceptable (to me) base to shoulder distance such that brass life does not suffer. Both my M700 .300 Roys are like that. 10 plus reloads easy-peasy. And that's with FL sizing to decent shellholder bump.

My .300 Win 700KSS and Dad's MkV .300 Roy are another matter. So I do the faux shoulder on those - with virgin brass - as Stick and Jordan Smith describe.

Why virgin brass? Cuz if the base to shoulder is sufficiently excessive cases are ruined on the first firing. There is no way to rehab such cases.

To create the faux shoulder on my .300s I run necks over a .338 WM expander, then through the .300 sizer backed off. Incrementally screw the die down till cases can be chambered with effort (not a hammer). After the first few firings, and if needed, I adjust the die further. Sometimes don't need to.

BTW, this issue (and the utility of a faux shoulder) is not exclusive to belted cartridges. Think .303 Enfields.

Also, some percentage of LC bulk brass purchases derives from max-spec 7.62x51 M240 chambers. As far as I'm concerned these pieces are ruined, so I ID and cull. ID them using a Wilson case gauge.....can do it by feel while watching the boob toob.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Axtell

Yep - my .264 Win thinks it's a 7mm RM based on the headstamps that enter the chamber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
BSA I have the Hornady bullet comparator set. If the headstamp bushings will fit the anvil, I can pick those up as well.

The headspace bushings will fit the same anvil. BSA appears to be using a 30 caliber bullet comparator bushing in his posted picture for some reason. Better than his trying to measure an air gap by feel though.

The Hornady headspace gauges are set to measure at the datum point at mid shoulder. The .420 diameter Headspace gauge is the proper one for your cases. If you have a .40 caliber insert, you will be close.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by SDupontJr

The headspace bushings will fit the same anvil. BSA appears to be using a 30 caliber bullet comparator bushing in his posted picture for some reason. Better than his trying to measure an air gap by feel though.

The Hornady headspace gauges are set to measure at the datum point at mid shoulder. The .420 diameter Headspace gauge is the proper one for your cases. If you have a .40 caliber insert, you will be close.

Ok, I'll look in to that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Just treat it like any other chambering. In step 4), adjust your FL die (I prefer Forster) to bump the shoulder 0.002-0.003”. Done.

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

I started loading for belted cartridges in the early ‘80’s, before the internet was around to “make mountains of mole hills” and with assistance from a Lyman manual from the early’70’s. Due to my youth and inexperience, I followed the same procedures as I had the previous 15 or so years with non-belted cases!

In spite of myself, I managed to get my old Model 70 .375 H&H to grant me a few sub 3/4” 5 shot groups @ 100 yards…..with one group going under 1/2”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/29/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is fascinatingly fhuqking HILARIOUS,that gross ineptitude and being a VERY sllooowwwwwww "learner",are "heralded" as "virtues". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
If I had known that a belted case was different I might never have gotten my 300 wm in 1980. People do realize that even a 12.00 dollar Lee loader works. Right? Edk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Biden "works" too,for Dumb Fhuqks. You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks are a HOOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Biden did whup corn pop....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Just treat it like any other chambering. In step 4), adjust your FL die (I prefer Forster) to bump the shoulder 0.002-0.003”. Done.

Same here. Set the die for the gun you wanna reload for and it’s a one time deal most of the time. 2-3 thou is great fit and you’ll likely never wear the brass out unless you’re hammering the heck out of it or you never anneal.

Good post scotty. I PFL using just run of the mill RCBS dies. Accuracy/precision is good enough for me:
7mm RM brass shown after sizing. Figured that would be the best representation for the op, since he's asking about that cartridge. Be sure to set your die with brass that has been fireformed to your chamber. I also have 2 7mm rem mags, but they are both Winchester model 70 classics and they look like the chambers have been cut with the same reamer. Got lucky on that one!!!

The shoulder bump is the key (.002-.003" is about perfect). I treat all of my belted mag brass just like any other brass. It shoots just the same as standard non belted stuff and feeds excellent. Never an issue.. Some guys want to make newbies think the belt is a hinderance, but that shows their lack of knowledge and experience.

You sure are getting sooty necks....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
It does make me laugh when folks piss and moan about a belt. It’s really nonexistent to me.

My bitch with belted cartridges isn't the belt per se, but the amount of slop that is often present in the fit of new brass to chamber even when both chamber and brass are within specification.

I agree, it is all over the map at times. My issue pretty much went away when I got the expander mandrel set from 22/416 caliber. Now it’s so easy just to neck up one caliber and size if to fit from the get go. I pretty much do it with everything larger than 223 nowadays. I feel like it saves me money since Brass with somewhat decent annealing seems to last forever.

Semper Fi
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Axtell

Looks like you have two shoulders....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I shot a 7mm mag for years stoked full tilt....neck sized only without any issues. The primer pockets will be the first thing to go.

After about 3 loadings I just pitched the brass.

The belted magnums head space on the belt....why the need to bump the shoulder ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Fhuqktards REALLY should be taking notes and applying same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you’re blasting primer pockets in 3 firings shoulder bumping ain’t for you.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.