Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Trystan
Mtwarden, I believe I covered some of the same cabinet mountain terrain as you this year. I was in for 10 days for a total of 90 ish miles. I was there in early to mid October so didn't see any snow! What an amazing place it is to get a work out in.

Trystan

Nice (but rugged!) country smile My buddy’s father-in-law still hoping to fill his bighorn tag.

@smokepole- glad to hear you’re making a good recovery- here’s to continuing to do so!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got to get to the Cabinets. Family lives in Kalispell & Libby so maybe next Summer for a hike - heard so much but VT is a bit far for a day hike.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by Trystan
Mtwarden, I believe I covered some of the same cabinet mountain terrain as you this year. I was in for 10 days for a total of 90 ish miles. I was there in early to mid October so didn't see any snow! What an amazing place it is to get a work out in.

Trystan

Nice (but rugged!) country smile My buddy’s father-in-law still hoping to fill his bighorn tag.

@smokepole- glad to hear you’re making a good recovery- here’s to continuing to do so!

A good friend of mine just filled his bighorn tag hunting the cabinets this year. The fella is 70 years old and spent 3 weeks in there looking for a big one which he finally got. We did provide a good bit of help packing his camp in and out for him but still, the area he was in is difficult terrain just to walk let alone carry anything. I don't remember ever seeing such a happy hunter when it all came thru for him 😊

I wish your buddies father in law the best on his hunt

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@PintsofCraft- well worth hiking exploring if you're going to be in the area.

^ my buddy's father-in-law is 74, he's been putting in for 40 years and finally got the tag- his (father-in-law's) nephew also drew the tag (I think there are only four for the Cabinets) and killed an absolute bruiser! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@PintsofCraft- well worth hiking exploring if you're going to be in the area.

^ my buddy's father-in-law is 74, he's been putting in for 40 years and finally got the tag- his (father-in-law's) nephew also drew the tag (I think there are only four for the Cabinets) and killed an absolute bruiser! smile

There is a family gathering in June and I plan on a few nights up there. I’ve heard it is more steeply timbered than the Selway. I’m usually good for two days of family time before I need some good activity.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Got in a few miles elk hunting last couple of weeks, but the near hurricane (60)+ mph), winds and cold drove us out after a few days. Hit 1,000 miles yesterday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ good job smile

44 miles this week, 9 of those on snowshoes- even elk hunted part of the day on snowshoes! I don't recommend it.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
43 miles this past week; most of it elk hunting in 12"+ of snow which is a bit tiring! All the work paid off though- harvested a huge cow on my B tag (still will probably try to get a bull)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
37 miles this week (1917 for the year). A tough 10 miles elk hunting on Monday (saw a good bull a long ways off, eventually made it over into that country, but no sign of him).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
37 miles this week (1917 for the year). A tough 10 miles elk hunting on Monday (saw a good bull a long ways off, eventually made it over into that country, but no sign of him).

Those are some awesome pictures! I admire your work out ethic and am certain you will find many healthy years ahead of you sir. One thing I inadvertently stumbled across that I will share with anyone reading is intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting helps the bodies natural systems to produce up to 2000% more growth hormone, 180% more testosterone, rebuilds mitochondria cells, and produce stem cells. The health benifits have somewhat blown my mind. In a nut shell it stimulates all of the same mechanisms that excercise stulates only at a much higher level. Intermittent fasting combined with excersise is out of this world.

Some of the best places to find quality information is...........

Dr Gundry, Dr Eric Berg, Dr Jason Fung, Dr Mindy Pelz. There all on you tube

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks.

I kind of inadvertently did some fasted exercise this summer. Too hot to hit the trails later, so was getting up between 4 and 5 and hitting the trails for an hour or two without breakfast- along with a nights sleep, was fasting for ~ 12-14 hours.

I'm a big fan of Uphill Athlete and they have a lot of data supporting fasted exercise, not for weight loss but to get better fat utilization during long aerobic endeavors. They stress the fast should be in the 10+hour range, the exercise should be low zone (2-3) workouts and not for much more than two hours- that's exactly what I was doing, but like I said really inadvertently laugh

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks.

I kind of inadvertently did some fasted exercise this summer. Too hot to hit the trails later, so was getting up between 4 and 5 and hitting the trails for an hour or two without breakfast- along with a nights sleep, was fasting for ~ 12-14 hours.

I'm a big fan of Uphill Athlete and they have a lot of data supporting fasted exercise, not for weight loss but to get better fat utilization during long aerobic endeavors. They stress the fast should be in the 10+hour range, the exercise should be low zone (2-3) workouts and not for much more than two hours- that's exactly what I was doing, but like I said really inadvertently laugh

I'll look up Uphill athlete. I completely agree with what you said. The body stores fat to be used at some point when you need it. If we as humans never dip into ketosis or utilize that function to burn fat it eventually ends up damaging the mitochondria cells which basically are our life force. Doing fasted excersise stimulates ketosis and atophagy which rebuild mitochondria cells and burn fat directly as a fuel when it converts the fat into ketones. Awesome stuff for sure.

My personal journey with fasting has been one year next month. As a farrier I went from a capability of shoeing 4 horses a day to I can shoe 10 a day now. In fact last week I shod 17 in one day. In my 30s my record was 9 horses in one day. At 55 years of age I now shoe 10 every day thanks to the power of intermittent fasting. Unbelievably powerful information

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ nice smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
32 miles this week (1949 for the year); three of them on cross country skis. Had an incident where I just about shot two dogs; they came running in (and hackled up) towards Tiny Elvis and I- put a round into a tree between the two dogs and that turned them, probably only 30' when I shot

Hitting Wendler again and got both workouts in (Monday and Friday); definitely some soreness which is to be expected with a long layoff from strength training

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Hit 1100 miles for the year this week. Lost some mileage as we were visiting and on the road. Now that I am in Arizona, I shouldn't miss to many days.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sled drags, kettle bell goblet squats, leg press. 30mins of 45lb rucking

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Catching up- week ending the 11th- 30 miles, ending the 18th- 26 miles, ending the 25th- 27 miles- that puts me over my goal of 2022 miles laugh

I've completed a full 4 week cycle of Wendler strength training, so slowly getting caught up on my hunting season hiatus

Got several days of backcountry skiing and snowshoeing that last couple of weeks; forced to use the treadmill 3-4 days as we were -20 to -40 degrees, a wee bit cold to hit the trails!

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Congratulations on meeting your goal. Been brutal here in Arizona, down in the 40"s at night but now warming. I am still on track and will finish out somewhere around 1160 miles. I am happy with that. The new year begins soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ thanks; 1160 miles is very good! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You two are an inspiration! Well done! Life threw me a curveball and I struggle with coming up with a goal or motivation to do much. I really need to turn that around.

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.