Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
But I have a 500 Hurtzalot! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by crshelton
Do they still require a 300Mag or better on the King for nilgai?"

That is total BS! Given good bullets, Any thing from a .243 on up will kill them if you can shoot accurately. Like elk, a double lung shot will do it. Tip- do not aim for the hump.

That said, they are a good animal to try out your African rifles on as there will plenty of meat left after your .458 Win Mag destroys enough to make a meal.

I recently shot a small Indian antelope with a 45-90 and all shoulder meat was destroyed. Through the ribs would have been better, but I was shooting left handed and blew the shot.

I don't doubt what you say. I just recall reading somewhere that most ranches, including the King, required a 300 mag minimum for nilgai, and wondered if that is still the case. Thanks,

That's because most Texas outfitters (along with many other outfitters) aren't really rifle people, and don't understand how the bullet makes far more difference than the cartridge.

Have told this story before, but here it is again. About 20 years ago Winchester held a nilgai hunt on the King, to publicize the then-new .270 WSM cartridge. All together between the invited hunters and the "industry" people (there were other sponsors aside from Winchester) there were 15 of us, and we each got to shoot a cow and a bull. When the guides found out we were going to hunt with ".270s" they were alarmed--but the bullets were 140-grain Fail Safes, which penetrate and expand very similar to Barnes TSXs.

By the end of the hunt the guides were saying that "new .270" was one of the best nilgai cartridges ever....

I recall reading about that experience. FWIW, I googled "nilgai King Ranch". On their website under "THINGS TO BRING ON A NILGAI HUNT" It says: "Rifle (30 caliber or larger preferred)" Guess that answers my question.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve hunted both and I much prefer hunting nilgai. Super wary and tough. Both are excellent table fare. Never used more than a 30-06 and most were with a 7 mauser - but I’m not shooting 300 yards at one either.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
I am not shooting at them at 300 yards either, and I am not paying to hunt, I can take the time it takes to get a good shot, if not today tomorrow. Rio7

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nilgai. Bigger animal, better meat.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Planning on going down to the land cut for nilgai this coming yr, sometime in Jan-April.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southtexas
Curious. Do they still require a 300Mag or better on the King for nilgai?
The part I hunted preferred 30 caliber or larger. Their camp guns are 35 Whelens shooting 250gr bullets. Based on what the guides said it’s more because the bulls don’t bleed well and a lot of people’s shooting ability isn’t what they think it is. That country is very thick and it doesn’t take much for them to get away. They like to break bones.

I ended up hunting nilgai and it was a real hunt. It ended after a 3 hour stalk and 500 yard belly crawl. The shot was about 150 yards and he made a run of around 100 yards after the shot. Based on what the guide said the placement couldn’t have been better. I used my 300 WM and 178gr AMax bullets. Bullet choice could have been better, but it was fine for what it was. We gutted the bull in the field and weighed him at camp at just shy of 500 pounds. We al had a great time and I hope I get the opportunity to do it again. Anyone that has the opportunity really needs to try it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muygrande1
Which pasture of the King will you be hunting? I did the nilgai on the Norias pasture a few years back and the nilgai is the better hunt. I plan on going back soon.

Best of luck as it is not a pushover hunt!

This was a new area that had been leased called the Tio Moya.
It was great and was a serious hunt. We averaged about 22,000 steps a day and that didn’t count the crawling. They don’t “jeep hunt” there. It’s all on foot.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've talked to King Ranch about this a couple times. I was told they need 2 hunters. Trying to get a couple hunting buddy's as interested as I am about it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oryx makes a much better mount. Nilgai makes a good Euro mount and are much bigger. Both are excellent eating.

Scott
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I've talked to King Ranch about this a couple times. I was told they need 2 hunters. Trying to get a couple hunting buddy's as interested as I am about it.

I am in the same boat. If I can get down to Texas one of these days for Nilgai it would be by myself.

There's got to be other ranches/hunting operations that could accommodate a single hunter... I haven't done any looking since I haven't gotten serious about going.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kilt a nice Oryx in South Texas in 01. Great looking animal and tasty to boot. I have zero exp on the Nilgai.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just hunted Nilgai on the King Ranch a couple weeks ago. It’s was a lot of fun and much more difficult than the whitetail hunt. However, we shot three cows and one bull and we’re required to use 300 win mags. Neat experience and very interesting country. I like the Nilgai rugs and the meat is excellent. The Nilgai did not hang around long and were a challenge to get a good shot opportunity.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ejo
The Nilgai did not hang around long and were a challenge to get a good shot opportunity.

That’s for certain. The old bulls that were 4+ definitely make it hard.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shot my oryx with a bow. May stalks, connected 2.5 days in. Looks good on the wall and table fair was excellent. Nilgai is on my to do list. Can’t go wrong with either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIO7,
I have read a lot of your posts and seen a lot of your pictures on all sorts of threads here on 24CF. And I have come to the conclusion that whatever your job is...I want it.

Except I'm retired.

But except for that...

Merry Christmas Sir.
Rex

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve killed both and the meat is great on either. If I ever get the opportunity again, I’d choose Oryx. It would make a neat book end mount. One turned each direction on the wall would be cool. And I like the white pillows from the remaining hide.

I still have a little meat left from both. I think I’ll cook some this weekend!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Westman

I am in the same boat. If I can get down to Texas one of these days for Nilgai it would be by myself.

There's got to be other ranches/hunting operations that could accommodate a single hunter... I haven't done any looking since I haven't gotten serious about going.
I believe I know just such an operation near Cotulla.I will reach out to the owner about it since they are mostly word of mouth only. I hunt dove there and can attest to the accommodations and the game they have there. I will PM you once I have talked to the owner.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you DanGilbertTX!

NRA life member

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by Westman

I believe I know just such an operation near Cotulla.I will reach out to the owner about it since they are mostly word of mouth only. I hunt dove there and can attest to the accommodations and the game they have there. I will PM you once I have talked to the owner.

That would be very much appreciated!
Thank you.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (257robertsimp, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 14 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.