Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Welcome to Buttfugkville, where OP is the mayor

Speaking of that where is the Transport Secretary..

Peter Peter Cock’n Eater ..

Still trying to resolve who’s Tit his Kids going to Nurse On ..

Taking the Longshoreman on at the Cabby Patties..

Is there even a Transportation Secretary..

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Currently the Conductors on the majority of BNSF and the UP are on call 24 hours a day seven days a week when assigned to unassigned freight pool assignments , with 2 hrs notice to report . They do not have a single sick day or PTO time to use without incurring points toward discipline. The Railroads offered reasonable pay raises and three days per year that a conductor could schedule a Dr's appointment as long as it is scheduled 30 days in advance, and only on a Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday. So if you develop the Flu or the China Flu keep working for 29 days and then see the Doctor. The Government needs to just stay out of this and the Railroads Unions will come to an agreement .

Last edited by killahog; 11/29/22.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think the price of everything is outrageous now, wait until about stops being delivered. Price will skyrocket.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by Greyghost
The ability to call in sick when they are sick, to take time off to seek medical attention, and to not have to risk their jobs to do so. Pretty much what every other worker in the county has...

Phil

I’m quite surprised that the workers can’t call in sick when they are sick, and can’t seek medical medical attention when it’s needed.
I’m not understanding why an employer would want people “on the job” when they’re actually sick, or why they would not want employees to seek medical attention so they could be more productive at work.

Apparently, one big issue is if they take a day off "sick', they don't get paid, and they want paid sick leave. Most everyplace I have worked (except farms), you earn paid sick days for X-amount of work- usually monthly. Often when one retires, at least some of unused sick leave is paidon severance. Union negotiated, of course. IIRC, I got paid for 2/3 of my unused sick leave.

I walked away with about $17 K, after taxes, etc. when I retired because I had to be REALLY sick to not work, and I've always been pretty healthy. Some of my co-workers treated their paid sick days as paid vacation days, would take it monthly, and never built up any. Even with the "3 days out you need a Dr's note " rule that we had.

Last edited by las; 11/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Your boy Biden has his pen & phone and the ultimate power to block the strike......yet he's askeered, this time?

Yep, Bidet's trying to chicken$hit his way out of this. Repubs should be voting it down just to screw the Dims and force Diaper Jo to pick up the pen.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While being sympathetic towards the sick issue, tell us about the ways to get paid by not working, the crazy wages on the extra board....etc.

If you want to change railroad life into postal service life.... the stuff you lose may not be worth what you gain.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by high_country_
While being sympathetic towards the sick issue, tell us about the ways to get paid by not working, the crazy wages on the extra board....etc.

If you want to change railroad life into postal service life.... the stuff you lose may not be worth what you gain.

Exactly.
People (unions) want to get paid for not working. I’m 100% on board with paying people who are sick. Negotiating a week or two or three weeks sick leave and then treating that as just more vacation days is wrong. And the same people who support that bitch about jobs moving out of the USA. It simple math.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
The ability to call in sick when they are sick, to take time off to seek medical attention, and to not have to risk their jobs to do so. Pretty much what every other worker in the county has...

Phil
I’m quite surprised that the workers can’t call in sick when they are sick, and can’t seek medical medical attention when it’s needed.
I’m not understanding why an employer would want people “on the job” when they’re actually sick, or why they would not want employees to seek medical attention so they could be more productive at work.
Sounds like BS to me. This isn't the first strike/threatened strike by RR workers.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many absences does it take to shut down a train?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Chisos
Your boy Biden has his pen & phone and the ultimate power to block the strike......yet he's askeered, this time?

Yep, Bidet's trying to chicken$hit his way out of this. Repubs should be voting it down just to screw the Dims and force Diaper Jo to pick up the pen.

Exactly^^^
Make FJB piss off the Union[if he dares]

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chisos

Exactly^^^
Make FJB piss off the Union[if he dares]

Why wouldn't he dare?

The two most solid and stupid alliances in politics are unions and blacks
with the Dems.

From January to November every 2 or 4 years black/union issues are
very important to Dems. On the stump.
Back in DC for 14 months of "work", those groups are forgotten except for
the occasional "booster".

And January of the next even year leaders of both groups will be supporting
Demonrats.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The railroad union agreements are negotiated and agreed to by the rank and file members. there are many different union contracts and each is some what different.

All union members have 10 days of unpaid sick leave a year that was negotiated by the union and signed off on by the rank-and-file. Unused sick leave days are paid to employees depending on union contract.

Trainmen turn schedules are negotiated between the union management and the railroad management and union management maximizes turn times so union members receive the greatest amount of compensation.

I call times for trainmen was negotiate with union and it was set at two hours call time. Union members can check the call board to see when they possibly could be called and know ahead of time to be ready.

They can call the board and let them know that they are ill.

Oh, it is a fine line on the turn times that the union management sets up with the local company management and union members. Employees, want to make as much money as they can. Therefore, they have allowed little time between trips (turns).

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bwana , Not all Union members have sick leave

The unassigned (Turns) are regulated exclusively by the Union representatives and are governed by a mileage component that the Chairman uses maintains consistency and balances the time off work

The (Call Board) you are referring to cannot predict when the Conductor or Engineer ahead of you is going to call off and move you up for call.

I don't know. where you came up with this information but the majority of it is inaccurate.

Last edited by killahog; 12/01/22.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tough job for great pay and bennies.

All those dudes probably didn't realize that when they signed up, right?

Lol

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Bwana338
The railroad union agreements are negotiated and agreed to by the rank and file members. there are many different union contracts and each is some what different.

All union members have 10 days of unpaid sick leave a year that was negotiated by the union and signed off on by the rank-and-file. Unused sick leave days are paid to employees depending on union contract.

Trainmen turn schedules are negotiated between the union management and the railroad management and union management maximizes turn times so union members receive the greatest amount of compensation.

I call times for trainmen was negotiate with union and it was set at two hours call time. Union members can check the call board to see when they possibly could be called and know ahead of time to be ready.

They can call the board and let them know that they are ill.

Oh, it is a fine line on the turn times that the union management sets up with the local company management and union members. Employees, want to make as much money as they can. Therefore, they have allowed little time between trips (turns).

All incorrect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a fact that not every job is going to have the same bennies. You either live with it or find other employment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a conductor for NS for a few years. The extra board sucked. It was either hot or cold. Periods of 12 on and called back in 8 hours later followed by weeks of being lucky to work 3 or 4 days a week. There was no guaranteed pay for guys on the extra board with less than about 7 year’s service- the union had bargained it away in a prior contract. Pay was not outstanding either. The only good thing was your wife had a pretty solid income when you died 2 years after retiring.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Biden has signed the anti-strike bill. Now lets see if the unions still support him. That loud thump you just heard was the bus bouncing over the union members.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could alway's turn out like the '81 PATCO strike. which wasn't good for anyone no load civil (non)servant unions.

Phil

Fixed it for you, gheygagger.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Biden has signed the anti-strike bill. Now lets see if the unions still support him. That loud thump you just heard was the bus bouncing over the union members.

They will not care and will continue to vote for D's.

Me

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (470Evans, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.