Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Right now I suspect the horseradish is too frozen to dig! But if we get another warm spell it might work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
John, I was pulling for you to be successful because, in addition to your good table fare, I knew there would be a good story about your newly acquired 1903 forthcoming. Sorry about your wounded knee, growing old ain't for whimps... and I know that for a fact!

Last edited by Joe; 11/29/22.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking forward to the article John. Hope that knee heals up.
I had weather issues in MT this year too. You remember how nasty it was the first few days of general deer season. For the first time in 26 years I drove back to AZ with an uncut tag in my pocket. I feel your pain - just not in my knee.

Stay warm,
Rex

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Rex.

One other side of the story is that while we both really like moose meat, our game-meat supply didn't really need any "help." We have two 15-cubic-foot chest freezers--along with Eileen's 15-cubic-foot upright freezer for her "special project" stuff. We have one of the chest freezers upstairs, next to the kitchen, which contains the meat we got the previous year--our "using" meat.

The other chest freezer's in the basement, which is where we put the meat from this hunting season. Between the two freezers we have the meat from seven deer and pronghorns--and in the garage also have the last deer I killed, a big mule deer doe taken on November 16, which froze solid a couple days after that. (Will probably put her in the basement to thaw when we get the time to butcher.) There's also a cache of wild pork from Texas, and probably 50 pounds of boned meat from our last elk. So we're not going to starve without the moose.

The funny thing, of course, is that if I'd put in for a bull moose tag and drawn, it could have been easily filled in mid-October! Or in early November. But had never drawn a bull tag in almost 50 years of applying, so put in for a cow....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A few years back I did a mule deer hunt on Grey's River. In that week we saw 6 moose and not one was a cow. Always thought that was a bit odd.
Sorry about the knee John, hope it heals quickly.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, the knee is doing pretty well. In another 2-3 days Lena the Labrador can probably start taking me pheasant hunting again!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Can't MtnBoomer drag you around on a sled or something?
Oh shoot now you tell me! Saw two cow moose down low in a unit XXX BMA Sunday morning. (This was before the snowdrift incident.) Then watched exactly 20 elk lounge around carefree at 2600+ yards while, ummm, I was managing the snowdrift incident. Then, with help of a 'Fire GoodGuy, escaped the mountainTOP as the blizzard hit. I admit I had a thoroughly wonderful day with my daughter and didn't mind the tag soup when we finally made it home.... Best tag soup ever.

Hope all the locals, and the yocals, enjoy their seasons to come!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thats the way it goes sometimes. I drew a cow elk tag in Michigan in 2001. I took three days off work figuring it was no problem. I saw only bulls. I wasn't about to let the tag go unused so I called my wife and had her call the office to tell them I'd be there when I was done. Four days later I did manage to take a nice cow. I haven't drawn a tag since then.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.