Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.. wasn't sure where to post.

So I have a cva scout set up for my boy. He's only shot fiocchi JSP 240gr through it. Season starts Saturday, so yesterday I decided to take it out and adjust the scope for hornady xtp 240gr (haven't shot them through it). The XTP were grouping like crap. The JSP were doing alright. I could tell the hornady was moving quicker at 100 yards (IMO much quicker) because the report back was much shorter than the fiocchi.
So the JSPs say 1310 velocity, the hornadys I think are 1350. On the box. I do NOT have a chrono, so I rely on research and other people's reviews.

The JSP kicked MUCH less than the hornady, which kinda shocked me as they're both 240 and both relative velocity. Maybe just the powder? Anyways..

I'm thinking of using the JSP for deer hunting out to 10p given the poor accuracy from the XTP. Then I look online and find a review from lucky gunner that shows they only chrono 1073 out of a revolver and only 1322 from a henry 18". To me that seems not right and should be higher. Then I see a YouTube video of a guy trying 2 different revolvers with the fiocchi at 1220-1320 depending on the gun, which is on par with the box (fiocchi says they use an 8" barrel to test). I've read things online anywhere from 775fps to 1350fps from handguns. I'm seeing nothing consistent. Getting kinda nervous,don't want my boy losing a deer, and it's too close to season to order and test a bunch of other stuff.

Does ANYONE have any legit chrono data for the fiocchi 240 JSP (defense dynamics on the box),or real life or gel test results?

How about hunting with this round out to around 100? (Max shot on our blind is 120, won't let my boy past 100 yet)

Any experience with these in some way? The article from lucky gunner makes me think its in error, 1073 seems awfully slow for 44 commercial ammo. Federal standard red box is even in the 1300fps range

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t have chrono data relevant to your weapon. I would caution you not to get too wrapped up with published velocities since I’ve yet to see them within 100fps of their claims. The .44mag with 240HP or 240JSP will kill any deer walking provided you keep the range within reason ie +/- <75 yards and most IMPORTANTLY you (your boy) put the bullet in the right spot.

Nothing trumps accuracy and velocity doesn’t substitute for good bullet placement. I’d be having your son shoot a lot so that he was intimately familiar with the rifle and extremely comfortable shooting it. Practice quite literally makes perfect.

I wish you and your son the best of luck getting his first deer. Whether you guys connect with a deer or not you both will remember this day for the rest of your lives and the stories you’ll both have will be told and retold for decades to come.

Be safe, have fun and the very best of luck to your boy! I hope that no matter your “success” you’ll give us a hunt report and a recap of your time spent afield with your son.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Practice with low recoil practice rounds or 44spcl so that he doesn’t develop a flinch. Whatever you choose for your hunting bullet and no matter how much more recoil the hunting rounds might generate he’ll never even feel the recoil when he squeezes on a deer. 👍. The low recoil/noise of reduced loads will make shooting fun and much less fatiguing.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sorry, no chronograph or “real-life” data for you, but I don’t think a 240 gr SP, at less than 100 yds, in the 1300-1500 fps range, should be a problem, for a whitetail deer.

Plenty of guys are taking deer with 10mm/41 mag/44 mag out of handguns, not to mention the muzzleloader hunters.

My brother’s first deer was taken over 30 yrs ago with a Ruger .44 carbine, using Remington 240 SP’s.

Sure, you can find “hotter” ammo, but if the Fiocchi is grouping well, and your boy is shooting well, I wouldn’t sweat it, or at least not until you start thinking of stretching shots out to 125-150 yds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t know anything about the Hornady 44 Mag round that you mentioned but based off stated velocities it sounds like it might be more of a downloaded personal protection round.

All of my experience with Fiocchi ammo is range ammo which is usually a little bit hotter than American made equivalent.

I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Out to 100 yards a 44 mag with either bullet will kill deer dead. My grandma killed several deer with a Ruger 44 magnum and whatever JSP my grandpa could find on sale.

IC B2

S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The only thing that gets me is the lower recoil and less muzzle jump than the hornady. Absolutely a difference. Could be how hornady loads their bullets or the powder they use so I won't give it too much thought in that area. It's actually not his first deer, if he gets one it would be his second. This is the first rifle I've owned in a handgun round (unless you want to throw the 350L in that class) so I'm learning a lot. He's a great shot so not worried there. We used to have a 350L but after deflections off of ribs on multiple deer and luteral lack of blood trails (literally not a drop) I decided a 44 would be more on par for my boy. With 240 grains it recoils less and has less muzzle jump. He's not recoil shy, more or less the muzzle jump and blast gets him. He loves shooting this 44. One day hopefully I can find a steal on a 77/44 ruger

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Sh40674
We used to have a 350L but after deflections off of ribs on multiple deer and luteral lack of blood trails (literally not a drop)

Tell us some more about those rib deflections. What range with what ammo?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hit it in the vitals with any decent 44 mag round and it’ll go down. That’s far more important than 50 fps difference.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
something isn't right with this post. Sock Puppet? Hmmmmmm

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Very possible

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rib deflections????? I'd say that was a bad shot. Have him shoot what he is most accurate with. A bad shot from a more powerful round isn't gonna work right . I have killed deer to 176 with a 240gr XTP from a muzzleloader. Pretty sure your 44 is stouter at 100,than the muzzleloader was at 176. That was a pass through, heart shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed a buck with a winchester white box 240 jsp at 80 paces from my Smith 329pd. I can't tell you what the bullet did because it didn't stick around.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We used to have a 350L but after deflections off of ribs on multiple deer and luteral lack of blood trails (literally not a drop)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep sock puppet troll

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Very possible

First several posts were in the classifieds.

I wouldn't be buying anything from him.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Very possible

First several posts were in the classifieds.

I wouldn't be buying anything from him.

sure as hell wouldn't pay $160 for a stock 243 Savage field weight barrel/lug & nut listed in ads

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whining and crying about recoil from a .44 mag in a rifle???

What a bitch

S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
First, I'm not a troll. That was my honest experience with a 350L. Knew I shouldn't have mentioned it because it would turn into this. If you want the info the first 2 were with the XP. 3rd was with I believe a federal 180? That one didn't deflect but had a lack of blood (all did). I simply was not impressed with the round.

2nd. I dont know what to price a savage barrel as I've never sold a rifle barrel.

3rd. Who was whining about recoil? I said I noticed a difference. And if you're referencing my kid and recoil? Guess that goes to show where you're at with your life.

Is this how this place normally is?

S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jesus I actually came back here to say I discovered one of the 4 (front one) scope base screws were loose. For those that care I found a youtube video that showed a lot of CVAs have oil in the screw holes from the factory. I used loctite originally but the front one must not have held. I cleaned it all out and re torqued everything so maybe that's why I was getting more wild groups with the XTP having more recoil. So again for those that care if you have a CVA make sure you clean and dry the screw holes. I also saw something about making the forend is adjusted tight and back so I double checked that but it was fine. I don't think I'll be reporting back with my results. Thanks to those of you that tried to help

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quote "Is this how this place normally is?"... yea pretty much... but it has its charms

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
565 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.