Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What am I doing wrong? I think I must be holding the grip wrong. I can shoot DA revolvers (Ruger Super Redhawk & GP100) and semiautos fine. I have killed a few of deer with them. I now own a Super Blackhawk irons sights only and can’t hit crap with it. I am shooting a foot high at 10-15 yds. I screwed the sights down as low as they would go and that helped but I would never hunt with it. I would like to hunt with my SBH and my Colt single action revolvers. How do I correct the issue?
Thanks

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a taller front sight.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
^^^^^^^^

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, front site (likely) if other corrections don't help,

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The front sight chases the impact. If it shoots high, raise the sight. Colt single actions are regulated by basic, even crude adjustments.

The front sights are soft and can be raised by squeezing them with lathe bits that have been radiused so the bit doesn’t leave a sharp mark in the front sight when you squeeze it in a vise.

To adjust right or left requires barrel blocks and turning the barrel in the direction of the bullet impact. You shouldn’t need to change it much either way. Bending the front sight can cause the sight to come out of the barrel as it is soldered in the shallow groove in the top of the barrel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My problem with the super Blackhawk is I couldn’t get a consistent grip with the factory grips. I switched to the Bisley style grip and the improvement was instantly noticeable. I know that others are the exact opposite of my experience but that’s mine. There are rubber grips made for the super Blackhawk but I don’t have any experience with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What caliber and loading? How are you gripping the gun? How hard are you gripping the gun? Without knowing these things it is hard to prescribe advice. I would try the following:

1. Grip the gun with your pinky curled under the grip.
2. Grip the gun firmly.
3. Try a lighter bullet.

The signs point to the gun riding in recoil more than normal before the bullet leaves the barrel. 1 and 2 help control the gun so it recoils less. 3 gives the bullet less barrel time so it exits sooner.

I wouldn’t be filing the sights or clocking the barrel of an adjustable sighted gun. That is typically only done to the fixed sighted guns like the SAA and Vaquero. How does it shoot for other people?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you reloading? Try increasing the powder charge (safely). In a revolver, generally the faster the bullet is traveling the lower it will hit due to decreased time in the barrel.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bamagun01
What am I doing wrong? I think I must be holding the grip wrong. I can shoot DA revolvers (Ruger Super Redhawk & GP100) and semiautos fine. I have killed a few of deer with them. I now own a Super Blackhawk irons sights only and can’t hit crap with it. I am shooting a foot high at 10-15 yds. I screwed the sights down as low as they would go and that helped but I would never hunt with it. I would like to hunt with my SBH and my Colt single action revolvers. How do I correct the issue?
Thanks

I've had this happen though for me it has been blued .45 blackhawks with 4-5/8" barrels. 5.5s and 7.5s, no problem, stainless, no problem. Also had a couple Ruger .44 magnums that would not allow me to use bullets over 250 grains for the same reason. The problem was that the front sight on each of these guns was too short. Unlike high velocity rifles, with a revolver, muzzle rise begins before bullet exits the barrel. For any given level of total recoil, the longer the bullet is in the barrel .. in other words, the lower the velocity .. the HIGHER it hits.

In the short run, assuming you need to use the gun quickly, the solution is to go with a lighter bullet .. one that exits the muzzle faster. For instance, if you're shooting 300 grain ammo, switch to 240-250. Example: I had a blued Bisley .44 blackhawk that shot to point of aim with the rear sight bottomed out with 240s and did well but couldn't be used with 300s.

In the longer run, if you want to shoot heavier bullets, you'll have to have a taller front sight installed. Assuming it is a blued gun, get the front sight for the 5.5 inch .45 colt Blackhawk. It is a silver soldered sight so you probably will want to have a gunsmith install it. Also, if it isn't perfectly straight, it will look all "f-ed" up. You could call Ruger's service department and see if they'll make that change .. I don't think they will but it is worth asking. You might also contact someone like Hamilton Bowen and have him install a taller sight. He does his own custom sights which seem to be a nice upgrade .. cleaner sight picture. On the other hand, if it is a stainless gun .. other than the 10.5" .. the sight blade is pinned so you could order a taller sight blade from Ruger. They are not drilled. Probably better to have a gunsmith do the drill and install .. hogging out the hole because the drill wasn't perfectly positioned and kept positioned might make the gun more or less unusable.

Good luck!!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a pair of these, makes the Super Blackhawk or just Blackhawk grip just about the same size as a GP100 and RedHawk. Also back up to 25 yards + and see what happens.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Presentation-Grip-Super-Blackhawk/dp/B0002INPDE

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What am I doing wrong?
Perhaps nothing, if group size is acceptable but too high.

Similar to Tom’s experience, above, when my rear sight was bottomed out, it was still necessary for me to switch to a taller front sight (the pinned front sight made it easy) to get 255gr. bullets hitting point of aim at 15 yards:

If I ever want to use 300gr. bullets, an even taller front sight will be needed. I may even need to make it myself out of 1/8” sheet steel, as I think I’m already using the tallest front sight available from Ruger.

I drill sight pin holes by hand, carefully drilling half way from each side to meet in the middle. That way, I’ve had good luck avoiding enlarged holes.

P.S.: I’ve heard tell that sights on original Colt SAAs we’re regulated to hit point of aim at long distance, say 100 yards, in order to more easily knock an attacking hostile injun (forgive me, resentful Native American) off a horse (or the horse out from under the injun) before he got close enough to use bow and arrow. So, SAAs always shot high close up.

Every day’s an adventure.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a pair of Uberti Cattlemen II that I have not shot. Considering if I sell or keep them. Both in 45 lc with 4.75” barrel

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MoscowMaine
I have a pair of Uberti Cattlemen II that I have not shot. Considering if I sell or keep them. Both in 45 lc with 4.75” barrel
How many clicks on the action?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Thanks

I've had this happen though for me it has been blued .45 blackhawks with 4-5/8" barrels. 5.5s and 7.5s, no problem, stainless, no problem. Also had a couple Ruger .44 magnums that would not allow me to use bullets over 250 grains for the same reason. The problem was that the front sight on each of these guns was too short. Unlike high velocity rifles, with a revolver, muzzle rise begins before bullet exits the barrel. For any given level of total recoil, the longer the bullet is in the barrel .. in other words, the lower the velocity .. the HIGHER it hits.

In the short run, assuming you need to use the gun quickly, the solution is to go with a lighter bullet .. one that exits the muzzle faster. For instance, if you're shooting 300 grain ammo, switch to 240-250. Example: I had a blued Bisley .44 blackhawk that shot to point of aim with the rear sight bottomed out with 240s and did well but couldn't be used with 300s.

In the longer run, if you want to shoot heavier bullets, you'll have to have a taller front sight installed. Assuming it is a blued gun, get the front sight for the 5.5 inch .45 colt Blackhawk. It is a silver soldered sight so you probably will want to have a gunsmith install it. Also, if it isn't perfectly straight, it will look all "f-ed" up. You could call Ruger's service department and see if they'll make that change .. I don't think they will but it is worth asking. You might also contact someone like Hamilton Bowen and have him install a taller sight. He does his own custom sights which seem to be a nice upgrade .. cleaner sight picture. On the other hand, if it is a stainless gun .. other than the 10.5" .. the sight blade is pinned so you could order a taller sight blade from Ruger. They are not drilled. Probably better to have a gunsmith do the drill and install .. hogging out the hole because the drill wasn't perfectly positioned and kept positioned might make the gun more or less unusable.

Good luck!!

Tom

I had the same experience as Tom with the 45 Blackhawks and had to go with a taller front sight to get a 5 1/2" 44 Redhawk to zero with 300 grain loads. I've had them shoot a foot high at 50-100 yards but that much elevation deflection at 10-15 yards is just insane. Something else is wrong there. I hate Goodyears on a single action but since you suspect your grip, that's a good place to start.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try slightly lighter bullets and/or higher velocities.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have not used his services, but you might get ahold of Fermin Garza. He looks to have a solid reputation building custom front sights for Ruger handguns.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think my Bisley 45 blackhawk had a replaceable blade and ruger had a higher blade available.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Get a taller front sight.
Easy on a stainless Blackhawk... knock the pin out and put a taller front sight of your choice in.

A blued Blackhawk... not so easy, the front sight and base is one unit that is silver(?) soldered on. Requires replacing the entire front sight or milling the front for a new blade. Both of which require a gunsmith or a machinist, at least in my case.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Exchipy
What am I doing wrong?
Perhaps nothing, if group size is acceptable but too high.

Similar to Tom’s experience, above, when my rear sight was bottomed out, it was still necessary for me to switch to a taller front sight (the pinned front sight made it easy) to get 255gr. bullets hitting point of aim at 15 yards:

If I ever want to use 300gr. bullets, an even taller front sight will be needed. I may even need to make it myself out of 1/8” sheet steel, as I think I’m already using the tallest front sight available from Ruger.

I drill sight pin holes by hand, carefully drilling half way from each side to meet in the middle. That way, I’ve had good luck avoiding enlarged holes.

P.S.: I’ve heard tell that sights on original Colt SAAs we’re regulated to hit point of aim at long distance, say 100 yards, in order to more easily knock an attacking hostile injun (forgive me, resentful Native American) off a horse (or the horse out from under the injun) before he got close enough to use bow and arrow. So, SAAs always shot high close up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I bought a pair of these, makes the Super Blackhawk or just Blackhawk grip just about the same size as a GP100 and RedHawk. Also back up to 25 yards + and see what happens.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Presentation-Grip-Super-Blackhawk/dp/B0002INPDE

If you go this route, hang onto the gun TIGHT. I put some on a .41 Blackhawk when I was a lot younger, and just let 'er buck. It torn off a patch of skin on my hand. Grip it tight and there's no issue, but if you slack off, it'll rip a patch off your palm. Learn from my mistake.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.