Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
I have recently moved to Arizona and have discovered after this deer season I need some new equipment. One of the things I need is a tripod for glassing with binos and for shooting. The two I am looking at are the primos gen 3 trigger sticks and the bog pod death grip. I know I’ll have to get different attachments for binos, etc. Or are there other options in the 200 ish range? Thank you.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have both, I use the primos trigger stick When I'm moving, covering ground. maybe setting up in several different spots. they are lighter than the bog pod death grip. Easier to pack and carry. I use the bog pod death grip when I am setting up for a hunt where I know I will be stationary for that hunting location for the day. The bog pod is solid as a rock. when you tighten the grip down on your rifle or crossbow it's like shooting off a bench rest.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Grouse870
I have recently moved to Arizona and have discovered after this deer season I need some new equipment. One of the things I need is a tripod for glassing with binos and for shooting. The two I am looking at are the primos gen 3 trigger sticks and the bog pod death grip. I know I’ll have to get different attachments for binos, etc. Or are there other options in the 200 ish range? Thank you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have used the original trigger stix. IIRC they lasted about two or three hunts, and are my least favorite.

The Bog Pod, tripod (pictured above with the pink wrap) has both a rifle rest and a ball head for a camera/spotting scope/binocular mount and is light and can be set up quickly.

I use that particularly when weight is a consideration. Also, it can be used when standing.

The Bog Pod Death Grip is a stable platform for your rifle if you have the time to set up. Weight, even with the carbon fiber version is a factor if you are spotting and stalking or have to walk for an extended distance. I am not particularly fond of using this with a MSR with an extended magazine, due to point of balance. I do not think that the grip opens up wide enough for a set of binocs.

I hunt from elevated blinds or ground blinds and set my rifle in the death grip at a particular point of aim.

A tripod with an Arca swill Ball head will work on an MSR with different attachments,

camera and binocular mounts,

but even with a carbon fiber tripod, weight can be a factor.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/12/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve used the standard Bog Pod Tripod with the accessories GW mentioned for years. Don’t think you can beat it for the money.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
OP Offline
G
I just realized after some more research that the death grip is a fixed head so attachments are apparently not an option. So I guess the bog pod adrenaline would be the most comparable?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rudolph stix if you can find them....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I used my gen 3 Trigger Sticks for the first time on a pronghorn antelope hunt this year.

When I got back to my truck after my first long stalk of the day, I noticed that the rifle rest "Y" was missing. Evidently I must have bumped the side release button and that
"Y" is now somewhere in the sagebrush in eastern Montana.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have the same Bog Pod as G-dub but with camo legs. My son and I have both used it to kill deer. It's a great item for the money. It's also light weight and pretty quick to set up. If you're setting up for a shot "right now" the trigger stix might be a better choice. But I don't like them enough to carry them in the woods.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joel at CameraLand has the Slik Pro 824CF Carbon tripod for a great price of $150. I have one on the way. https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...013a-6054-00163ecd2826?variation=3096086
Couple it with a good sturdy video head (I prefer video heads over ball heads or pistol grips for glassing), two plates-one for a bino and one for a rifle clamp like the TriClawps, RifleSaddle, HogSaddle or other clamp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just realized after some more research that the death grip is a fixed head so attachments are apparently not an option. So I guess the bog pod adrenaline would be the most comparable?

Dig a little deeper. Bog also has a DeathGrip model with a ball-head. Believe they call it the DeathGrip Infinite.

I have the DeathGrip (sans ball-head). As stated by others, it's rock solid, but heavy. It works very well for long sits and in places that you have time set it up and level it.

I've use the Adrenaline with and without a ball-head and DeathGrip Ultralight clamp attached. It's a solid setup, but not to the same extend as the DeathGrip, and definitely lighter. What I didn't care for on the Adrenaline was that the legs do not lock in to angular positions like the DeathGrip. In this case the ball-head on the Adrenaline is ever-so helpful in leveling the firearm.

As always YMMV.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I faced the same thing last year and ended up going with a Hog saddle PIGlite CF with their GNN-XB-44DL ball head. I then mounted Swiss ARCA plates from Salmon River Solutions on a couple of my longer range rifle stocks. The tripod with ball head is slightly over 5lbs and I've added ARCA plates to my spotting scope and binos.

https://www.salmonriversolutions.com/product/srs-arca-mini/

I also bought a small mini-waxed bag from Thunderbird Long Range with Git-Lite fill. I then practiced my azz off at my home range using a combination of dryfire, .22LR and .223 along with the actual rifles to get used to the set up. Luckily my backyard range goes out to 760yds, so I built a mini-course of fire by arranging steel swingers up my back hill. The bag on the ball head is about as versatile as it comes, easy to come off the tripod or move from TGT to TGT. It weighs about 10 ounces, so I just strap it to the top of my pack. It also works for fence posts rocks, logs, etc.

I've also got the actual Hog Saddle (they give a good .mil discount) that mounts to the ball head and the rifle clamps in. Honestly, it's too heavy and takes too long to set up for any amount of hiking. The mini-waxed bag on the ball head is faster and reasonably stable out to 500+. Clamping in with the mounted ARCA plates is the most stable, especially sitting with a backpack in your lap, it's almost like shooting from a bench.

Mulie over-watch in MT a week ago, clamped in:

Practice session using the bag on the ball head:

I've also got a Bog Pod switch-a-roo, but there's no comparison when it comes to stability.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 11/29/22.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by geedubya

GWB

I have and use the red-legged devil. I don't use a special head for glassing; I just orient the saddle 90° and perch the binocs on it. Works well enough for me.

Trigger sticks are really handy and quick but have a reputation for being fragile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There are aftermarket kits to change the deathgrip to ball head and even arca Swiss.

My deathgrip has stayed stock as I only use it for very specific hunts where weight isn’t an issue and for my 7 yo to shoot Centerfire rifles from.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a deathgrip carbon. Love it. Use it when carrying the extra weight isn’t a big deal, coyote hunting, and especially for my kids to use. At 220$ for carbon it has been a great deal. it gets used a lot. I did the washer mod to mine and it made the head rock solid when a rifle is on the rest. Highly recommend that

The only down side is the head moves laterally and horizontal only, and cannot be removed for accessories. But for most that shouldn’t be a big deal.

That being said I sold mine last night to a good friend and bought the new bog deathgrip infinite version while on sale at optics planet

For 299$ I couldn’t convert the original for the same money after selling it

Time will tell if it is just as good. But I believe it will be

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kevinJ; 11/30/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I use a Primos Gen 3 Trigger Stix tripod, with Spartan's Davros head, and rifle mounts that quickly allow a stable setup for both rifles so equipped, and for my spotting scope. I have used this setup now for two antelope seasons, and it has worked well on longish shots.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Slik CF634

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe okay for close shots, but assuming this includes longer ranges, forget tripods. A tripod only stabilizes at the front, not the rear, which does not help in many longer shots. A bipod at front, which controls lateral stability, along with good butt stock control for elevation at the rear works better.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For shooting I use sticks and lean up against something for back support. Works great when a backrest is available, and to a lesser degree but still good when not. Weigh a few ounces.

LOL
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Fireball2
For shooting I use sticks and lean up against something for back support. Works great when a backrest is available, and to a lesser degree but still good when not. Weigh a few ounces.

Sticks are my first pick, fast and easy to use in the field. Sticks control windage and elevation, and even with a back rest, I usually pull a knee up to support the back end. In effect this constitutes a wide-base tripod.

Last edited by Wrapids; 12/01/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by geedubya

I have used the original trigger stix. IIRC they lasted about two or three hunts, and are my least favorite.

The Bog Pod, tripod (pictured above with the pink wrap) has both a rifle rest and a ball head for a camera/spotting scope/binocular mount and is light and can be set up quickly.

I use that particularly when weight is a consideration. Also, it can be used when standing.

The Bog Pod Death Grip is a stable platform for your rifle if you have the time to set up. Weight, even with the carbon fiber version is a factor if you are spotting and stalking or have to walk for an extended distance. I am not particularly fond of using this with a MSR with an extended magazine, due to point of balance. I do not think that the grip opens up wide enough for a set of binocs.

I hunt from elevated blinds or ground blinds and set my rifle in the death grip at a particular point of aim.

A tripod with an Arca swill Ball head will work on an MSR with different attachments,

camera and binocular mounts,

but even with a carbon fiber tripod, weight can be a factor.

ya!

GWB

This Snap Zoom binoc rest is what I use for glassing and to shoot from. I rest my rifle forearm on it and steady with one hand. All you need.
Best binoc platform I’ve ever had.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.