Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the late 90's I was having my first 9.3x62 made up. A rebarreled Mod 70 FWT XTR with a Krieger barrel. The "only place" I could find some factory ammo was at The Old Western Scrounger! A couple boxes of Norma 232gr. I had no problem gather up dies, and components from a few other sources. I just wanted to have a couple boxes of factory ammo to try first. They shot fine, as did my later handloads. I settled on the Nosler 286 over Varget. I gasve that rifle to a young family man ( my Youth Minister at the time) He killed a fat spike bull elk with it that year. Bull was about 60yds away but in front was light screen of Buckbrush. He popped him with no issues. There is still alot of air in any bush, ha.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker
Haven't heard that name in a long time. back in the 60's and early 70's he owned the Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito Calif. His daughter went to the same high school i did. Don't even know if the old shop is still down there. 1970 he did or his smith did some work on a 98 Mauser I had.
I do still have a case of Winchester 22WRF in the locker from him.

Old West Gun Room is still around. Talked to Dave about 15 years ago and he sent me a few things he thought I'd like based on our conversation. If I remember it was some ammo I was having a hard time finding.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A man remembered in this way lives on.

I’d seen him at various events years ago. I never spoke with him that I recall. But, I most certainly remember him.

Every day’s an adventure.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I used to find all kinds of excuses to stop by the shop in Montague, a couple times the lights were on very early in the AM I'd stop in and he would be talking rapid fire on the phone...in what I presumed was German. I asked of course, he said he dealt direct with RWS, had formed friendships with them and showed me photos of a couple European hunts he had taken as their guest. And the walls of the office were well adorned with many photos of a US Navy Cruiser, the name escapes me, I assumed he had served aboard her. As I said before, Dave the man was much more than Dave the ammo guy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Hatari just wanted to know about the OWS as a source. But let me tell youse guys a little anecdote about Dave Cumberland, the man. In one of the frequent economic crashes the lumber market causes around here I was taking any and all work I could find. Gravy was thin and watery around the Flint Estate. Dave calls, "you the guy with the shop truck that works on equipment ?"...."Yup". An appointment is made to get his little forklift going, work is done within an hour, normally I wouldn't charge but times are hard, so he offers cash or check. I gratefully accept the check and he says that doesn't seem like enough ( seems like it was 75 bucks), why don't you pick something out here in the warehouse. So I go browsing, unbelievable, piles of gun stuff, ammo, mil surplus, reloading gear from the old Hollywood gun shop...well, I made the mistake of picking up a Springfield 1898 Krag leaning in the corner. He looked at it, I forgot I had that...it's yours, take it with you. Even in those days a 400 buck rifle, easy. I protested weakly and took it. Got feeling guilty that winter and brought him a few loads of firewood, we remained friends until he moved away. A small man with a big heart.

Yeah, I have been in his shop many times when I first moved here.
Flintlock is about 100 miles south of me...

Going in there was like going back into 1950....Fine old guy.. I hope he is still doing well, having to deal with that cancer crap..

Cancer sucks.. What was God thinking when he invented that?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always thought his 20 mm reloading press must have been something to see. Never saw one.
He used to have all the Berdan primers in stock and they were scarce otherwise -- if you had to reload some Berdan primed cases.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker
Haven't heard that name in a long time. back in the 60's and early 70's he owned the Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito Calif. His daughter went to the same high school i did. Don't even know if the old shop is still down there. 1970 he did or his smith did some work on a 98 Mauser I had.
I do still have a case of Winchester 22WRF in the locker from him.
Old West Gun Room appears to still be open, but by appointment only.
https://oldwestgunroom.com/

I've been there once or twice, but it's a bit far to go for me. Haven't been in quite some time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.