Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17853706 11/29/22
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kids got us a hotel for 5 days in Honolulu ...all right where do I go from here .....I want to shoot one of them fruit eating pigs:)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona are must see if only obviously. Kaneohe bay has good snorkeling and a nice beach. The north shore is a much more laid back atmosphere but remember that your a Haole (non Hawaiian) and you’ll be treated like a Haole.

I can’t help you with pig hunting but I do know that Oahu is a culinary Mecca with some great restaurants.

Don’t forget your sunscreen unless you already have a solid Alaskan base tan going. 😂

If you do go hunting I hope you’ll give us a report.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Dole Plantation

The mighty MO

Bishop Museum

Germains Luau

Town of Haleiwa voted most unique town in Hawaii. Whilst in Haleiwa check out Matsumoto shave ice good stuff. My wife's family is from North shore.

Be aware of your surroundings. Hawaii ain't the paradise it once was.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Punchbowl Cemetary. We got there right when it opened and were the only people in there, until the bus loads arrived after about an hour. Drive up to the north shore. Hanauma Bay is pretty cool if you like to snorkel. Sandy beach is a cool shore break, be careful or you will find yourself deposited on the beach with a thud. Ask me how I know. Can't help with the hunting.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don’t forget the shrimp trucks on the north shore. Right next to the shrimp ponds. Great for lunch. Dole pineapple plantation also. Big waves also on the north shore. Liked the north shore better that downtown.

Pay your respects Pearl Harbor and the Arizona. John

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Spend as much time on the north shore as you can , Honolulu sucks. And the broken down shrimp trucks do rock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hit up Judman.... he has hunted in Hawaii a bunch,.... not sure which island.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cool keep them coming men.... how about a luau should I be going to one of them ....maybe they'll set the grass skirts on fire at midnight

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Last time I was there was 1969. You could go up to the sugarcane fields on the mountain and ride an inflatable down the sugar cane flues to the ocean. I don't know if that's still doable. Someone chime in that has more recent knowledge.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Going soon also... son is at Schofield.

Appreciate the tips!

IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
The Big Island (I know that’s not where you are staying) has pigs on public land. Lots of them.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
#1 - Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. Give yourself plenty of time to take it in...
Everything else...

When wife and I were there 20 years ago, only planning two activities per day seemed to be about the right cadence to balance "seeing as much as we could" vs "relaxing and enjoying ourselves along the way." Obviously, YMMV...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't know why my kids got us tickets for Hawaii as I've always bitched about it... cuz they ate my buddy Captain Cook a hundred and some years ago!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be prepared for a good walk. Parking lot at Arizona memorial to lockers and tour. Then the Missouri. Wife had a Fitbit. She walked 5 miles. But it was worth it to us. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hardway
Hit up Judman.... he has hunted in Hawaii a bunch,.... not sure which island.

Ya never hunted on Oahu, no connections there. Do the diamondhead hike, go to the north shore. Honolulu isn’t to impressive. Pearl Harbor is a must see. Have fun

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nice fireworks display on Friday?? night from an off-shore ( Waikiki) boat the one time we were there. Met the then Gov and his wife on the boat. Nice guy for a Democrat. Or maybe it was the alcohol?

Oahu once - never again. Honolulu sucks. Some English is spoken.

Japanese outnumbered Americans about 3:1 at the Memorial, and 5 to 1 at least down town. Be prepared for it.

You can also go out for a boat cruise. They refer to it as "sport fishing". Truth in advertising - they hooked me! smile. smile

I went into it considering it (on another island) to be a boat cruise, any fish showing (one marlin made a quick pass at the lure) would be a bonus so was not disappointed in the 4 hour experience. Saw several pods of various whales.

Late January/February is an excellent time to whale watch - they are slow getting there from here. smile

Oh yeah- the water is cold at this time of year for swimming . Dunno about summers.

The other islands are better, IMO - been to several of the others more than once. But hey, it's warm ambiant air temps!!!!

Helicopter ride around the island - ours came in over the Dole Plantation( I think?) into Pearl on the same route some of the Japanese planes followed. My wife wouldn't let me make machine gun noises.....

Looking down one could see the underwater outlines of the Arizona clearly.

Last edited by las; 11/30/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll be on Oahu for a few weeks tge end of January. There's some ok pig hunting in the hills above Kahuku.

Bb

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Wew were stationed on Oahu from ‘74 - ‘77 and went back through there on our return from Japan so we found some nice spots to go.

Pupukea, is a little further north than Waimea. It’s also known as “Shark’s Cove” 😊 and is a really neat place to snorkel. The main inlet has some big coral heads and opens out to the ocean. To the left of the main inlet is a natural, partially enclosed area which is almost like a pool if the tide is right. I came face to face, like 2-3 feet away from a moray eel while snorkeling along there.

If there’s a winter storm coming in, you gotta go see the surf at Waimea. It really is awesome to see. There are a couple of good hiking trails there as well.

Someone mentioned Haunama Bay which is east of Honolulu as a snorkeling spot. It is a great spot with a little reef across the width of it that isn’t very far off the beach. You’ll most likely be sharing it with lots of touristas.

There is a nice shooting range at Kokohead which is a ways east past Diamondhead. It’s currently closed but it’s expected to reopen in December.

Don’t forget the sunscreen. With nice air temps and the trade winds blowing all the time, it’s really easy to get fried.

Last edited by navlav8r; 11/30/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Atvalaska: Go snorkeling one day instead of "pig Hunting". And be sure to go to Hanauma Bay for that!
I spend a day there every time I go to Hawaii.
They are closed one day a week nowadays - I think that closed day is Thursdays.
DO NOT forget the sunscreen as you are snorkeling as the first couple inches of water actually intensifies the suns harmful rays, that cause sunburn.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Book a guided tour on The Missouri, it’s much better than just wandering and you’ll get to see parts of the ship that are not open to the tourist crowd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.