-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guy's. Always something new to learn.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gary, Not just the US either we had many skilled older gentleman who could turn their hand to anything, back in the 50's & 60's you took your tv set into a store for repairs same with washing machines, radio's etc try that now see how you get on

Johno

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Both my parents went to automotive school prior to having me, so I grew up in a tinkering/fixit household. All my friends and my sweetheart are amazed at the things I've fixed or rebuilt from scratch.

I've been asked if there wasn't anything I couldn't fix, and with a sly smile my response was "WOMEN".

Even where I work my boss knows if something needs fixing and/or figuring out, he calls me.

And yes, it is a LOST ART!

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, fellas it's saddening, and like Lightfoot said, kind of scary.

I'm descended from a couple guys who were hands-on kinds of men. My Old Man told me once, after I had made a remark about his uncanny ability to repair stuff, "Sure, I can fix anything but a broken heart, so be careful."

I know a girl who not very long ago actually traded in her car on a new one because, get this, it was overdue for an oil change and she didn't want to have to deal with it.....

Maybe that kind of ever-present nonsense is what drives me deeper and deeper into the world of old things.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What any of this has to do with 99's I'm not certain, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

We are becoming a specialized species that depend on each other for survival. Unlike our forefathers who were much more independent and self-sufficient.

That being said, old people have been whining and complaining about the younger generation as long as mankind's written and oral history. I'm trying not to fall into the same trap. I can just about guarantee you my great grandfather's generation thought my grandfather's generation was not going to amount to much. I can remember being a young whippersnapper and listening to old people complain endlessly about the government and the younger generation of sluts, hippies and pot heads (us).

Time marches on, things change, some for the better some for the worse. The human species will likely still be here in one form or another 1,000 years from now. It will be as different a civilization then as it was 1,000 years ago. And old people will still be complaining about that generation's government and the sluts and the hippies and the pot heads. None of it will matter to any of us or our 5x great grandchildren. I am going to enjoy what time I have left

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
What any of this has to do with 99's I'm not certain, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

We are becoming a specialized species that depend on each other for survival. Unlike our forefathers who were much more independent and self-sufficient.

That being said, old people have been whining and complaining about the younger generation as long as mankind's written and oral history. I'm trying not to fall into the same trap. I can just about guarantee you my great grandfather's generation thought my grandfather's generation was not going to amount to much. I can remember being a young whippersnapper and listening to old people complain endlessly about the government and the younger generation of sluts, hippies and pot heads (us).

Time marches on, things change, some for the better some for the worse. The human species will likely still be here in one form or another 1,000 years from now. It will be as different a civilization then as it was 1,000 years ago. And old people will still be complaining about that generation's government and the sluts and the hippies and the pot heads. None of it will matter to any of us or our 5x great grandchildren. I am going to enjoy what time I have left

If humans had been inbred for a few thousand years and had nuclear weapons 1000 years ago, we wouldn't be here now, IMO.

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All we need to do is shut off the internet and electricity for a week, and 75% of the population will be dead.

Don't think for a minute that the Feds don't have this plan in their arsenal.

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This thread took an unexpected turn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey Blitz that's the truth, until recently when I got sick we had a 100 year old house in the mountains in 2020 we got hit with the big bush fires we were stuck due to roads being cut and couldn't get out over a week. Both my wife and were raised in pretty poor financially upbringing in rural area believe me it stood us in good steed, no power which meant water either because we couldn't drive the pump.

For washing/bathing just fill the hose with water from stock trough and lay it on the ground to get heated by the sun this would not make great viewing on google earth lol, we had a river near by we got water and a small generator that kept the fridge running so we survived without a problem.

The old grey beards here reckoned if it couldn't be fixed with a piece 8 gauge fencing wire it was buggered

Johno

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"There's nothing you can't fix with $700 and a .30-06."

I guess the thread took a turn when I lamented about about the dearth of neighborhood machinists, guys who could perform work on guns, such as making a barrel fit a 99, without having to seek out a specialized gunsmith.

Could be something as simple as having removed mandatory shop class and home-ec from adolescent schooling, and replacing it with God knows what. Instead of teaching kids how to use their hands to forge their world, we're teaching them to live virtually. Accelerated rush toward a utopian future (that may probably be inevitable), at a pace far faster than normal evolution would achieve.

Reliance on the whole, and not the individual, is a recent phenomenon. Our generation is the last one to hold to traditional values - we protested the war and explored libidinous attitudes, etc., but there was an underlying core of values that reflected those held by previous generations, we simply wove and adapted our own generational ideals based on that. That simply doesn't exist today in general and therein lies the disconnect. I'm in constant contact with college students- everything from hipsters, LGBTQ'ers, egg heads, freakozoids, and "normal kids" - and while by and large they're honest individuals, the common refrain I hear is that what's good for society in whole far outweighs individual rights. That's what scares me.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/02/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have changed ….

Dad was a self-taught automotive mechanic in high school. Then was in charge of the motor pool while stationed in occupied Japan. Twice recognized as the best independent-shop mechanic in Dallas.

He wasn’t scared to try to build/fix anything. And I was fortunate to learn from him.

Together, we replaced all the windows his house; built a hip-roofed workshop complete with electricity and a concrete floor; replaced the water heater; converted the garage into living space; rebuilt the motor on my first car; built fences for my two houses; replaced the AC ductwork; built brick sidewalks and retaining walls.

My son, the lawyer, picks up the phone and makes a call.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I guess the thread took a turn when I lamented about about the dearth of neighborhood machinists, guys who could perform work on guns, such as making a barrel fit a 99, without having to seek out a specialized gunsmith.

I will admit that I am one of those guys; I have no machinist skills and fear that I would ruin a barrel, or worse yet - ruin a receiver. There are some things I have done - refinishing a stock (which should be redone) and honing the action of a pistol. But cutting a precise notch in the barrel threads, nope - I am a chicken.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
the common refrain I hear is that what's good for society in whole far outweighs individual rights.

There is so much I wanted to say in support of your thought - I wrote a lengthy response but decided to simply say “what you describe is communist China”

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The communists sell you the line, "What's good for society as a whole outweighs individual rights" because it appeals to the philanthropist in all of us, but think about it. Nothing is better for a country in every way than an individuals rights to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. Individuals prosper, so does the state. Individuals do charitable works for those less fortunate.

What communists are doing is getting you to agree to give away your freedom and rights, period, end of sentence. BTW, ever notice that those at the top of communism become extremely rich? Coincidence? Subjects in communist countries ALWAYS live in abject poverty.

Every.
Single.
Time.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am trained opposite of you guys.

I do surgery on farm animals.

I just gotta be clean, quick, and close.

It usually heals.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/03/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am trained opposite of you guys.

I do surgery on farm animals.

I just gotta be clean,fast and close.

It usually heals.

But i had a stud horse that had a square foot of hide ripped off his side by another stud. I had to be clean every day for about 45 days, slow patience and persistent for the hide to grow back without proud flesh.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The takedown barrels are physically interchangeable with the solid frame barrels for rifles produced in Utica and Chicopee Falls. That does not mean it is a cakewalk. The replacement barrel may not index correctly, and if it does index, it may not headspace correctly. Changing the forearm stud is easy if the screw is not damaged or rusty, and the stud will be in the right location if both barrels were later than S/N 90,000. I've done it, and that is all I remember about the changes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.