Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've sighted two Rugers in for other people...using 180 grain they are very accurate.
Recoil is about like a 30-30, and the short barreled Ruger would make for a dandy woods/ blind gun.
I can see a need for the straight wall in up north in states , but I wouldn't replace my 308 handy rifle for one.
Like said above, ammo is everywhere.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
BP-B6

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have one for Ohio. Does the job just fine on deer their. That’s the only reason for me to have one though

Since I have it I’ll let the kids use it as well if they want to.

TN doesn’t restrict us so I wouldn’t use it here unless for novelty or the kids honestly.

Couple bear hunters I know like them for shooting tree’d bears from single shot rifles for what it’s worth

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Throughout the latest shortage there was 350L on the shelves here in AZ. Why they would even ship it here is beyond me unless the snowbirds take it home with them.

Walmart is ran by people on the 40th floor in Bentonville AR...not your local stores..

I moved to Oregon in 1995, and deer hunting season is in October, and ends at the first of November.

Wally World here has quit carrying guns and ammo in Oregon, something to do with the political climate.

BUT.. what I've seen for the 27 years I have lived here, is Wally Worlds marketing and management teams, send out product for hunting season to correspond to when hunting season is in Arkansas.. So what I've seen for 27 years in Oregon, is as soon as our deer hunting general season is OVER here in Oregon, then the store gets an entire shipment of Hunting Season stuff to put on the shelves...

most people don't buy any of it... because what hasn't moved after hunting season is over in Arkansas, then they put it all on Sale., for a fraction of the price. That is when people in Oregon, go back down to Wally World, and then stock up on all of their needs for next hunting season...

Its almost like Walmart has fashioned their marketing nationwide , from Governmental Management Theory... known on the street as day late and dollar short.. or the one word description.. CLUELESS...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've picked up two of them in a Savage Axxis...

But only because they were closing them out for $200, with a Bushnell 3 x 9 scope to boot. The Bushnell will make a good 22 scope..

I bought them because the rifles were certainly a bargain, 50% off. But I have ordered a pair of 17 Fireball barrels...
I've put one of them on one of the Savage Axxis. Same length and contour...

Walmart in Oregon has quit selling rifles and ammo, so there was no 350 Legend on the shelves... but I bought them for the actions.

If they had made the 350 Legend with a 223 case, and not made it the way they did, then I would have tried one out... as I have 10 life time supplies of 223 brass, that is pretty much range pick up brass. But they decided to be different, a marketing dept idea I am sure.

However, for the service they talk about most people using "Legend" for, I've been using a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendal for 3 years now.
So buying ammo, ( if I can find it) for the "Legend" isn't really motivating me to use it... The Grendal does everything 350 will do, plus a lot more.
Bi Mart has 350 Legends on the shelves, in the Ruger Ranch rifle, and they cost $100 more than I got the Predator in a Grendal. So no reason to try and reinvent the wheel for me.

The other Axxis I have, I will probably order a 223 barrel in it, with a fast twist, that heavier contour, but 18 inch length like the Barrel that the 350 came with. I like the Grendal from Ruger because I can use AR mags with it.. not so much with the Savage. But I do like the Savage Axxis that I have, as in the varmint fields I single shoot my shots. A heavier contour barrel, but shorter in length that my other guns is making sense to me, especially when my shooting rest is the Hood off my 4 Runner.

so my factory Legends are rebarreled to 17 Fireball and a 223.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have 2. An AR-15 upper, and a Savage Axis. Both shoot great. Recoil is negligible, and they will kill Whitetails dead as Lincoln’s nuts. I’m gonna be 20 feet up in my stand on opening morning of the Ohio
Gun Season this coming Monday with my Savage Axis lefty bolt rifle loaded with my handloads. 165 grain Hornady FTX at 2200
Feet per second.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I have 2. An AR-15 upper, and a Savage Axis. Both shoot great. Recoil is negligible, and they will kill Whitetails dead as Lincoln’s nuts...

😂😆😂😆

Now that is dead! ☠️

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I see these 350 Legend ammo and rifles here in Idaho. Why they are even bringing those here is a mystery to me. This certainly isn't the market for them and it would be nice to see them rounded up and shipped to where they'd be in use or demand. Out here if you roll slow it's an 30-30, 45-70, or muzzleloader.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 350 Legend to use here in Ohio. Had it for a year or so and finally got around to shooting it. Tried several factory offerings and settled on the cheap Asspro Herters in 180 gr. Thing is a shooter with almost no recoil. What’s not to love for the Ohio woods? I’ll be perched in a tree on Monday toting the Ruger.

Buy once, cry once.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don’t know. Why would anyone want to hunt with a rifle that kills deer with low recoil and you can find ammo for at a gas station.

Seems strange to me too.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Ran 80 rounds through my AR in 350 Legend yesterday letting my grandson waste ammo, which was mostly cast bullets on top of I4227. He had a blast blasting empty cans and milk jugs full of water. Going to burn another 20 and load another 100 with a different cast bullet to hunt with. The round almost exactly matches the 35 Remington which is a good thing.

The little .355 dia legend will never in a 100 years equal the 35 Remington.........Go back and study your ballistic tables for both catridges with different bullet weights.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ringworm
Constantly have had customers asking for 350.

I'd like to have one for schitzngiggles. Not deer .. jackrabbits. 147 grain XTP HP at .. 2500? .. fps SHOULD come all unglued when introduced to Jack Rabbit out in the sage.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I don’t know. Why would anyone want to hunt with a rifle that kills deer with low recoil and you can find ammo for at a gas station.

Seems strange to me too.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it works ok in straightwall states. 188 yards. 150 gr Winchester Deer Season. Took about ten steps . Disclaimer - no pass thru. But deader than Elvis. https://postimg.cc/gX6CwMhB https://postimg.cc/nCvnSLCw

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
Ran 80 rounds through my AR in 350 Legend yesterday letting my grandson waste ammo, which was mostly cast bullets on top of I4227. He had a blast blasting empty cans and milk jugs full of water. Going to burn another 20 and load another 100 with a different cast bullet to hunt with. The round almost exactly matches the 35 Remington which is a good thing.

The little .355 dia legend will never in a 100 years equal the 35 Remington.........Go back and study your ballistic tables for both catridges with different bullet weights.

The word "almost" outside your vocabulary? The 350 comes within 100 feet per second of equaling the 35 Remington with reloads, can be loaded to equal most 200 grain factory loads, excluding the Hornady rubber tips. That is if factory standard pressures are adhered to. My cast 200 grain load runs 1950 fps which is about what you get from Factory 200 grain Corelokts. The 35 Remington Leverevolution 200 grain load definitely out runs the 350, if you could find any of it on the shelf. I happen to own both and load them to similar velocities with 220 gr and 200 gr. cast bullets. An added bonus IF I were to shoot factory ammo is that ammo is everywhere unlike the 35 Remington which lately has been impossible to find and this includes brass. Good thing I do reload.

Last edited by rickt300; 11/30/22.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The word "almost" outside your vocabulary? The 350 comes within 100 feet per second of equaling the 35 Remington with reloads, can be loaded to equal most 200 grain factory loads, excluding the Hornady rubber tips. That is if factory standard pressures are adhered to. My cast 200 grain load runs 1950 fps which is about what you get from Factory 200 grain Corelokts. The 35 Remington Leverevolution 200 grain load definitely out runs the 350, if you could find any of it on the shelf. I happen to own both and load them to similar velocities with 220 gr and 200 gr. cast bullets. An added bonus IF I were to shoot factory ammo is that ammo is everywhere unlike the 35 Remington which lately has been impossible to find and this includes brass. Good thing I do reload.

Please tell me more about your 350L cast load’s. I’m casting with WW and powder coating. Trying to figure out if I need to go with a harder alloy or slower powder, or both. A 200gr Lee 358-200 cast with 4227 I get to around 1400 with decent accuracy and then it falls apart trying to go faster.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Pardon me if I missed a previous post on this, but Mule Deer’s article in the current Handloader has a load with sized 200gr FTXs that fully equal standard .35 R loads. Even if they came up a bit short, the current dearth of all things .35 Remington would make the .350 a pretty good idea, especially handloaders. Then too, can’t forget its original purpose. Only Iowa, and maybe a couple of swampy states allow bottleneck .35s in previously shotgun-only areas. That’s a moving target, of course.

No dog in this fight as we can use any CF here, for now anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 450BM

Please tell me more about your 350L cast load’s. I’m casting with WW and powder coating. Trying to figure out if I need to go with a harder alloy or slower powder, or both. A 200gr Lee 358-200 cast with 4227 I get to around 1400 with decent accuracy and then it falls apart trying to go faster.

The fastest load I have uses 1680 and you need to work it up yourself. I too am using the LEE 200 grain bullet and powder coating and a MP mold that drops 208 grain bullets when hollowpointed. PM on the way.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Switch to 1680 powder, and check your bullet fit against your throat diameter. If you're powder coating you should be able to go softer not harder which may well improve accuracy, improve expansion, and still not lead - if the bullet fits your throat. (Although I get great accuracy and velocity as well with 4227, 1680 has the edge, at least in my .357 Maximum rifle ballistic twin to the Legend.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Switch to 1680 powder, and check your bullet fit against your throat diameter. If you're powder coating you should be able to go softer not harder which may well improve accuracy, improve expansion, and still not lead - if the bullet fits your throat. (Although I get great accuracy and velocity as well with 4227, 1680 has the edge, at least in my .357 Maximum rifle ballistic twin to the Legend.)

Well pretty close other than the Legend case is a tenth of an inch longer and has a much higher pressure ceiling. That said yes I load my 357 Max pretty hot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I’ve never had any 1680 but I guess I’ll try to find some now. I have a couple hundred pounds of fairly pure lead, old lead pipe, but I’ve never cast anything with it. I’ve been saving it for alloy recipes but I don’t need to save it all! I’m sizing these at .358 and with the powder coating I’ve never had any leading.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
526 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.