S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by 30338
I can't see a 7 PRC doing anything the 7mm Remington hasn't been doing for decades. Plenty of mag space in a 700 for the Remmy and 180/195 grain bullets. Plenty of brass, dies, factory ammo. I'll happily slum a 7 Remington if I feel the need.

For now a rather pedestrian 6.5-284 is working for my long range needs. And oh, not a lot the 6.5-284 can't do compared to a 6.5 PRC. But I digress.

I'll happily take the 7PRC strictly for reloading purposes of getting around the belt that they put on then 7 rem mag. Whoever invented that belt that serves zero purpose should be kicked in the nuts IMO

Just a random question, but how does the belt hurt anything? I agree, it isn't needed, but if you load the case the same way you'd load a 7 PRC how would it ever hurt/hinder anything?

Beretz, the main benefit of the PRC and Creedmoor rounds is chamber and die specs. There is a noticeable advantage to minimal working of brass that shows up biggly in the long run. Why put a useless belt on a cartridge and than design it to maximum size your brass everytime?

Chamber & die specs ? The truth is the PRC cartridges have been plagued with this very problem, Hornady .. in their infinite wisdom royally screwed the PRC's up from the very beginning, but fanboi's avoid the obvious and are now doing all they can to "invent" problems with the older cartridges, namely the belt ... every creediot on the planet is now an expert on the belt "issue", citing how great an advancement the PRC's and Creeds are over every existing cartridge ever developed ...

I've been handloading the 7mm Rem Mag for over 30 years and have never experienced any problems with the belt or any sort of pressure spiking conditions, that bs is more of an idiot operator error than anything else .....

With that said, I'm no fan of the 7mm RM, as it is underpowered for my use, so that makes the PRC's grossly underpowered ...

or simply, just gross !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
I tend to use 140 VLD and 156 EOL. The 6.5-284 can push both to reasonable speeds for my long distance hunting needs.

Thanks, 30338. That 140 seems to have a great reputation for extremely consistent BC. And I've heard from more than a few people that the 156 kills better than the 180 Horny and 180 Berger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂
My neck has large patches of skin from my thigh and enough nerve damage from surgeries that recoil makes a difference. Besides that ,all else being equal, everyone shoots a 243 better that a .338

Man that sucks, regarding the nerve damage. Sorry to hear that.

I think that I have a pretty high tolerance for recoil but agree that less recoil is easier to control and for self spotting impacts. I have three kids and something like a 180 at 3000 from a 6-8 pound rifle isn't my idea of a good tool for learning. In fact, I haven't seen many adults shoot a 6-8 pound rifle well, let alone spot their own impacts. No brakes on hunting rifles.

On a side note, I was spotting and filming for a recent ELR match and a bunch of shooters were not able to spot impacts in Light Gun past a mile with brakes and cans. Weight limit was 26 pounds, and you probably have an idea on TOF.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
Mr Camuglia,
Do you use muzzle brakes or suppressors on your rifles?

Absolutely.

You need to see your impacts to be a good shooter.

👍🏼

Ric,

What are the details on the rifle(s)? Rifle weight, bullet weight and velocity, and minimum distance that you can spot your own impacts.

Thanks!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If recoil is of zero concern, a 7mm x 180 gr vld at lotsa fps is unbeatable IMO. But not required to kill stuff at 750 yards. But the 6.5 is easier to shoot well. Barrel life will never be a design factor to me. Another upside is the current golden era of 6.5 and 7mm bullets.
And optics 😊

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After finally using both the Scenar and ELDX at longer ranges on elk, my conclusion is that the Berger is better if one wants a frangible bullet. It will definitely penetrate before blowing up. If one wants more weight retention, shoot something else.
Basing this conclusion on one elk per bullet, each shot in the chest. A thin sample, which is why I’m just sharing a personal conclusion. Shoot what you want.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂
My neck has large patches of skin from my thigh and enough nerve damage from surgeries that recoil makes a difference. Besides that ,all else being equal, everyone shoots a 243 better that a .338

Man that sucks, regarding the nerve damage. Sorry to hear that.

I think that I have a pretty high tolerance for recoil but agree that less recoil is easier to control and for self spotting impacts. I have three kids and something like a 180 at 3000 from a 6-8 pound rifle isn't my idea of a good tool for learning. In fact, I haven't seen many adults shoot a 6-8 pound rifle well, let alone spot their own impacts. No brakes on hunting rifles.

On a side note, I was spotting and filming for a recent ELR match and a bunch of shooters were not able to spot impacts in Light Gun past a mile with brakes and cans. Weight limit was 26 pounds, and you probably have an idea on TOF.

Not a kid, and won’t be shooting a180 grain bullet x 3000 fps in a 6 or 7 lb rifle😊 8 maybe. No fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, in my experience a 180 at 3000 from a 6 - 8 pound rifle will highlight flaws in shooting form and rest building. Doesn't matter if the 180 is from a magnum 7 or a magnum 300. And it definitely affects the ability of the shooter to spot impacts for most.

Some can pull it off, but I think that they are more rare than common.

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/26/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr Camuglia,

Absolutely.

👍🏼

Ric,

What are the details on the rifle(s)? Rifle weight, bullet weight and velocity, and minimum distance that you can spot your own impacts.

Thanks!

Bumping this thread up in case Ric missed my question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr Camuglia,

Absolutely.

👍🏼

Ric,

Thanks!

Bumping this thread up in case Ric missed my question.

All of those things vary. I have a handful of rifles that vary in weight and chamberings.

Your shooting technique factors in as well; how well you can manage recoil

Spotting impacts in some shooting positions is difficult.

The bottom line is reducing recoil and jump and a brake does that well. I have brakes on just about every rifle, match or hunting

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂

All of those things vary. I have a handful of rifles that vary in weight and chamberings.

The bottom line is reducing recoil and jump and a brake does that well. I have brakes on just about every rifle, match or hunting

Schitfire, Ric. So I take it that it means that you use a HEAVY rifle + BRAKE?

Come on man, I totally respect your shooting accomplishments. Nobody can take that away from you, but what the hell do homosexuals and recoil have to do with anything when you are using a brake and heavy rifles? You can do better this.

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂

Schitfire, Ric. So I take it that it means that you use a HEAVY rifle + BRAKE?

Come on man, I totally respect your shooting accomplishments. Nobody can take that away from you, but what the hell do homosexuals and recoil have to do with anything when you are using a brake and heavy rifles? You can do better this.

Jason

My light rifles have brakes

My heavier rifles have brakes.

What’s so Fuqking hard to understand?

Better now?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Better now?

Does that mean that you are a F A G for using brakes and heavy rifles?

By the way, what are those rifle weights, chamberings, and distances that you can spot impacts?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Better now?

By the way, what are those rifle weights, chamberings, and distances that you can spot impacts?

Being smart enough to use a brake isn’t because your tiny, frail stick shoulder hurts from recoil, it’s because you want to see impacts.

Do you understand why seeing your impacts is important?

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/28/22.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
300 prc necked to 7. Hint

Fuuckin laughing……..

I see what you did there ! grin

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xphunter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This little muley too with the 175 ELD-X
Ernie, what can you tell me about the tripod setup you have in this photo? It looks like something I would be very interested in. And just how many single shot pistols do you own? I'm green with envy over here!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by xphunter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This little muley too with the 175 ELD-X
Ernie, what can you tell me about the tripod setup you have in this photo? It looks like something I would be very interested in. And just how many single shot pistols do you own? I'm green with envy over here!

Bog Gear with their PSR top.
They don’t make it any more
Sorry

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Better now?

Being smart enough to use a brake isn’t because your tiny, frail stick shoulder hurts from recoil, it’s because you want to see impacts.

Do you understand why seeing your impacts is important?

Ric, I think that we are actually on the same page regarding spotting impacts. My preference is less recoil and lighter rifles with no brakes. Your approach seems to be brakes and heavy rifles. I have started using a can though.

As much as I like the idea of a 7 RM or 7 PRC for hunting, I think the 6.5 will do all that I need with a lot less recoil than any magnum 7.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ric, I think that we are actually on the same page regarding spotting impacts. My preference is less recoil and lighter rifles with no brakes. Your approach seems to be brakes and heavy rifles. I have started using a can though.

That’s not my approach at all. I have brakes on my light rifles as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RIO7
When is enough, enough? 6.5 PRC ? 7 PRC ? 300 PRC?? What's coming next the 45 PRC, 50 PRC ? Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7
When is enough, enough? 6.5 PRC ? 7 PRC ? 300 PRC?? What's coming next the 45 PRC, 50 PRC ? Rio7

I think the dif is recoil. If a 7mm x 180 grain at 2950 fps is not too much recoil, it’s the optimum. Does not matter what launches them. I mean without a break.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.