Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17855132 11/30/22
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Today's the last day of our cow season. I've got mine so yesterday I was out with my 2 partners trying to find them some. The evening before, we spotted several elk at least 1.5 miles away. We couldn't tell what they were at that distance and it was too late to go after them.
The next morning, we were on site. There'd been a skiff of snow and we found fresh tracks. I was leary, though, because they were all too big for cows. We started following them anyway and eventually we spotted them way off. We still couldn't tell what they were. We hiked at least another mile before we saw them again. 7 bulls. That was a wasted hike. At least it's flat land out there and easy walking. Looks like tag soup for my partners.

There are 7 bulls in this photo if you can find them. It's the best I could get with my phone's camera and I wasn't about to hike another mile to get closer. I should have had my DSLR with the long lens but I didn't feel like long distance hiking with it in my pack. I'm sure we could have got within range if they''d been cows. It's not as flat as it looks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Had a couple cow tags for my kids in your neck of the woods last year...ended up at one point on some access yes land or whatever you call it (private with controlled public access) and found a big herd of cows. Failed to score that day. Found one lousy cow earlier on public up NW of Mackey and I managed to spook that one away from my boys. Found several groups (herds?) of BIG bulls in the mountains of public land. Fun time but certainly not a gimme!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those bulls leave the cows after the rut and form small bachelor herds. If you find a herd this time of year, they'll mostly be either cows or bulls. They'll start getting back together next month. This same thing happened to me about 5 years ago. I could see elk in the timber way up above me but I couldn't make out what they were. After a 2000' vertical climb I finely got a look - a dozen bulls and I had my precious cow tag.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My goodness do I love late cow hunts.

[Linked Image from ]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Same story here. Elk is open during our rifle deer hunt but it’s cows only. We’ve been seeing between 5 and 13 bulls every day but no cows. They slipped up today though, 13 cows and two bulls came by and my uncle laid a big cow down.

Next week it’s either sex as long as the bull is a 5by or better. I surely don’t need to kill another bull this year but I might if I see a big one.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would love a chance at one of those Oklahoma bulls. Can a NR get a tag?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics gents.

Good luck to you all still elk hunting.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yes OTC. Main issue is that season is open on private lands only and you must have written landowner permission with a valid legal description on you at all times. If you can find a place though it can be a fun hunt. The early season is right at the tail end of the rut and they can still be called sometimes and during the late season the bulls are grouped up and you can look over a bunch at once to make your decision.

We get 4 days early and 4 days late seasons for bulls for archery and the 4 days following each archery season are rifle. Cows can be hunted during these seasons as well as the regular deer archery season and rifle season plus the entire month of January.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Kid.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
All I saw when I was up there was bulls. Last year I saw cows every day.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We’ve had a bit of weather but not enough to move them down in any numbers. They’re still higher…somewhere.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another day with a late cow tag in hand. Western Wyoming. Good times.....

This is the same bull as pictured above.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cool pics T.

I'd love to have a shot at that bull!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
God you Americans are SO VERY LUCKY!

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/01/22.

KB

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Westman
Cool pics T.

I'd love to have a shot at that bull!
I suspect you aren't the only one. I'd have to raise the ceiling in my office for that rack.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sorry for the crappy pic. I pulled it from a video. A few years back while looking for a cow. Never did find one with the rifle. A month later when hunting them with the muzzleloader my son and I counted 48 bulls, no cows or calves, on one hillside.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yes OTC. Main issue is that season is open on private lands only and you must have written landowner permission with a valid legal description on you at all times. If you can find a place though it can be a fun hunt. The early season is right at the tail end of the rut and they can still be called sometimes and during the late season the bulls are grouped up and you can look over a bunch at once to make your decision.

We get 4 days early and 4 days late seasons for bulls for archery and the 4 days following each archery season are rifle. Cows can be hunted during these seasons as well as the regular deer archery season and rifle season plus the entire month of January.
That would be fun right there!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bull elk just look "Regal"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.