Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dang throw away appliances. 7 ft Hotpoint meat freezer maybe 3 years old. Stacking venison a couple times and notice it was awfully slow. Cut to the chase. Wall outlet good, temp switch continuity good, compressor relay continuity good, start capacitor slow gain while multimeter on high reading in contact, compressor does not run but gets very warm to the touch.

Would say start capacitor is bad but it checks good and is not blemished, hot, leaking. Wouldn’t expect compressor because of the age and it has been in use continually but looking that way.

Hep a Brutha Out

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most everything today is designed to be disposable!

I’m certain that by saying this, my freezer will fail today…..but, our Sears Coldspot manufactured in 1962 or ‘63 is still going strong! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had the compressor go on a month old refrig.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most likely compressor, if you want to get more life out of it you can try a hot shot capacitor.

Swifty
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For the price of a capacitor, I would go that route first. If compressor winds up being bad, you would want a new one on it anyway.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B2

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Looked on GE (Hotpoint) website for a parts listing. A guy sent a question into their comments slot for this model saying his is down and he can’t find parts or contact service. Here’s the answer 23 days ago.

MichaelBatGEA · 23 days ago
Oh no!

We’re so sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your freezer and that you’re having trouble getting help! We definitely understand how frustrating it is when you just can’t find any parts, and especially on something as important as a freezer. We do not currently have any parts available for your freezer. We encourage you to reach out to us using one of the methods below so we can get some more information from you and assist you further.

https://www.geappliances.com/ge/service-and-support/contact.htm

We’re so sorry for the inconvenience that this causes, but we hope you’re able to get your freezer back up and running as soon as possible! Thank you for reaching out. -MichaelB@GEA

We appreciate your business. FU very much. Will try to match the capacitor generically at a parts outlet. Without parts available from the manufacturer it’s just a big minnow bucket.

Last edited by shootem; 12/01/22.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GE Appliance has been owned by Haier (Chinese) since 2016. Three years on a Chink compressor is pretty good.
With all the Chink factories being shut down for covid and the supply chain issues, lack of parts is probably pretty common.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by memtb

I’m certain that by saying this, my freezer will fail today…..but, our Sears Coldspot manufactured in 1962 or ‘63 is still going strong! memtb

I was going to say something about my 40+ year old freezer, but I'll let you disturb the Force and keep my mouth shut. grin

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bbassi

I was going to say something about my 40+ year old freezer, but I'll let you disturb the Force and keep my mouth shut. grin

😂 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Most likely compressor, if you want to get more life out of it you can try a hot shot capacitor.

That.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Terryk; 12/01/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really, a GE freezer that is only 3 years old and they have no parts?
Sounds like GE is not taking Six Sigma as serious as they claim.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootem
Dang throw away appliances. 7 ft Hotpoint meat freezer maybe 3 years old. Stacking venison a couple times and notice it was awfully slow. Cut to the chase. Wall outlet good, temp switch continuity good, compressor relay continuity good, start capacitor slow gain while multimeter on high reading in contact, compressor does not run but gets very warm to the touch.

Would say start capacitor is bad but it checks good and is not blemished, hot, leaking. Wouldn’t expect compressor because of the age and it has been in use continually but looking that way.

Hep a Brutha Out

I got 3 smaller ones. Got alarms to keep from losing contents.

I don't think any of them are worth chit anymore.

The compressor died on the last one, tried another cap and relay but that was a waste of time.

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
As to old freezers y’all mentioned, we have a National 8 ft that’s well over 30 yo and must have been made by Timex. For meat storage and m just going to look around for a used one 20 or more years old.

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

The guy is working on the same freezer for sure. Might even have the same flashlight. My relay checks on continuity for white/black and brown/blue connections. Maybe it’s good maybe not. Where does the overload relay from Amazon wire in ? Does it take the place of the white relay repairman pulled or attach.?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My Sears freezer has been going non-stop since 1983 with only minor parts replacement by me. Always filled - usually with venison and fish.

-Ken

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would never buy a HOTpoint freezer to keep things COLD. Or a Frigidaire oven to heat things up. That's just me - even though I have a freezer under a different brand made by the same folks. My last freezer (8') lasted a whopping 6 months and had, according to GE, no servicable parts. I lost all my venison and my brother's as well. Their warranty service is absolutely deplorable, but I did get another one, finally, and it's still working at 18 months. I'd suspect that, even if you get it working with a new capacitor, it's still on borrowed time. Until we push back on their quality control programs, which actually control/limit the quality based on our acceptance, we'll keep getting crap that doesn't last.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MPat70
Really, a GE freezer that is only 3 years old and they have no parts?
Sounds like GE is not taking Six Sigma as serious as they claim.
Iam pretty sure when the Chinese company Heir bought the GE appliance division in 2016.. Six Sigma was the first thing they threw away . it only GE in name ,I think GE just gets a royalty check of of name use ,Like Winchester use to do for all the non firearms things that were sold with their name on it

Last edited by rem shooter; 12/02/22.

NRA Life Member
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tried to write a review and it will not be accepted. Says close pop-blockers. Got everything turned off that I can. Even put the web address under “exceptions” in AdBlock. Thinking it’s intentional. Will close all windows later and try again. As y’all might guess my review was less than flattering. Anything Haier/GE/Hotpoint etc is off my wish list.

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Swifty52

That.

Educate me on a “hot shot” capacitor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.