Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Arkansas probably has a $1,000 limit for felony level theft or vandalism and phones these days can easily get there out-of-the-box. The contents can be even more valuable. Deliberately knocking a valuable phone out of his hand should be considered assault.
Not should be. Is. He forcefully struck his hand. That's assault. A reasonable person struck in that context would believe that he was under attack and that actions in self-defense were called for.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest problem I see is all the conversation around whether it's legal or not to cold cock and azzhole that's in your face. Shouldn't even be a concern. If cops legally "reasonably fear for their safety" inside of 21' why is this even a question of whether the guy was a threat?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FAFO winner

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Entertainment value of the video aside, this thread is extremely interesting from a sociological perspective.

In the not-so-long ago (1985ish and back) in the USA (and Canada as well, I imagine), one didn't have the right to get in someone's face, insult and provoke them, and, so long as the aggressor didn't touch the other person, experience no negative consequences.

In other words, one didn't have the right to be an azzhole without repercussions.

It wasn't in the legal code, but it was part of living in a civil society. Most learned this on the playgrounds, schoolbuses, and vacant lots across the country. Kids learned how to be civil by experiencing, or at least witnessing firsthand, the school of hard knocks.

I graduated from high school in 1986. Fights were a fairly regular occurrence in elementary and middle school, rarer, but still occurred, in high school. Nobody was ever seriously injured, and nobody was expelled, or even severely disciplined for a simple fistfight/ground grapple struggle.

But we learned not to be azzholes to others, or someone would come along and teach us some manners.

That hasn't been the case in schools for at least 30-35 years. And we have adult-aged children, like Mx. Skinny Jeans, who get well into their 20's or 30's and have never learned that lesson.

And then, eventually, they do.

Mx. Skinny Jeans is lucky he only received a concussion and some stitches learning his lesson. It could have been bullets and the morgue.

Well said.

To further this point…It was also assumed, back in the 80’s-90’s that if someone being an idiot, caught the fat end of the stick. The person giving out the behavioral adjustment wasn’t going to be arrested and possibly prosecuted.

Fast forward to now - as you can tell from the mannerisms of the ‘Slugger Dude’ he looks worried that he hurt the guy to the point he’ll be going for a backseat car ride with the police.

Psychologist, helicopter mom & dads, and individuals who raised a generation of participation trophy winners, don’t like it when their offspring win this kind of award. They expect justice for their kids clown behavior.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The guy throwing the punch should thank his lucky stars that fall didn't kill or permanently incapacitate the punchee. He may not have been charged, but he's still subject to a lot of hassle, legal fees and a probable civil suit. I don't know if a jury would see that film like the manly brutes here on the fire. Does smacking a cellphone out of a man's hand justify being killed? And nobody knows what led up to this altercation.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
LOL Dumb ass got his just reward.

My grandfather was an admirer of beer. When he was older, he lost sight in one eye and couldn't hardly see out of the other so he quit driving and instead, he made a daily pilgrimage down to the corner store to get his 6 pack. One day as he was walking home, some young gang banger wanna-bes stopped their car and jumped out in an attempt to take his beer and wallet. My Grandfather was a professional boxer (Lew Jenkins). Those three teenagers got an ass whooping, a-la Second-Hand Lions, that I'm sure they are still talking about nearly 40 years later.

Moral of the story, don't fight old men. If they can, they'll kick your ass. If they can't they'll shoot ya!

Similar story with my cousin in Roundup, Montana. The family was at a diner having dinner and some loudmouth kept running his mouth with all sorts of foul language. My cousin asked him to cut out his cursing. The fellow continued to curse and my cousin walked over to him, grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off his chair. Then he explained how he would beat him senseless if he didn’t shut up, causing the malefactor to piss his pants.

My cousin resumed his meal without throwing a single punch. However, he did box extensively in golden gloves in the 1950’s and his brother did punch Cassius Clay in the face a few years earlier in a Golden Gloves match before the 1960 Olympics…

No saying your cousin was wrong. He did however commit assault and could have been charged.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
The guy throwing the punch should thank his lucky stars that fall didn't kill or permanently incapacitate the punchee. He may not have been charged, but he's still subject to a lot of hassle, legal fees and a probable civil suit. I don't know if a jury would see that film like the manly brutes here on the fire. Does smacking a cellphone out of a man's hand justify being killed? And nobody knows what led up to this altercation.

So you have hid under chairs all your life, never been in a fight? Do you have any skills whatsoever?

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Arkansas probably has a $1,000 limit for felony level theft or vandalism and phones these days can easily get there out-of-the-box. The contents can be even more valuable. Deliberately knocking a valuable phone out of his hand should be considered assault.
Not should be. Is. He forcefully struck his hand. That's assault. A reasonable person struck in that context would believe that he was under attack and that actions in self-defense were called for.
He also possibly damaged the guys phone.

Dog I rescued in January

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guy has never been punched out before, should of happened in grade 5, then he would of known to step into another mans comfort zone, then getting physical, good knockout.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rickt300

So you have hid under chairs all your life, never been in a fight? Do you have any skills whatsoever?

I would have just put a round in his skull and went on my way.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 12/01/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Instant Karma

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Thank you buckhaggard. As a paramedic I worked 2 cases where the patient fell over, or got knocked over in a parking lot, hit his head hard on the asphalt like this guy did. But my 2 patients got fractured skulls and died. It can happen.

Had this guy in the story died, boxer guy would have gotten hit with a massive civil suit, several million dollars at least. Tied up in court for 18 months and legal bills of a hundred grand at least. Every week, or every day for a year or two, back to the courthouse for another deposition, or another hearing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Thank you buckhaggard. As a paramedic I worked 2 cases where the patient fell over, or got knocked over in a parking lot, hit his head hard on the asphalt like this guy did. But my 2 patients got fractured skulls and died. It can happen.

Had this guy in the story died, boxer guy would have gotten hit with a massive civil suit, several million dollars at least. Tied up in court for 18 months and legal bills of a hundred grand at least. Every week, or every day for a year or two, back to the courthouse for another deposition, or another hearing.

Yep. Avoidable. If they had just drove off their separate ways within five minutes both guys would have forgotten the whole thing.
How many folks wish they had those five minutes back to undo something they did?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Maybe he's in for a civil suit, but the standard of guilt within the context of a self-defense civil claim has nothing at all to do with the actual damage to the attacker. It has only to do with whether the action on the part of the defender was within his rights under the circumstances. A jury wouldn't be allowed to consider the actual outcome when judging the question of guilt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Maybe he's in for a civil suit, but the standard of guilt within the context of a self-defense civil claim has nothing at all to do with the actual damage to the attacker. It has only to do with whether the action on the part of the defender was within his rights under the circumstances. A jury wouldn't be allowed to consider the actual outcome when judging the question of guilt.

Tell that to Cameron Poe

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Missed all those years with his little Hummingbird......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro

You sir are a man of culture.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by JPro

You sir are a man of culture.

Bad that I'm well versed in such important matters.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
LOL Dumb ass got his just reward.

My grandfather was an admirer of beer. When he was older, he lost sight in one eye and couldn't hardly see out of the other so he quit driving and instead, he made a daily pilgrimage down to the corner store to get his 6 pack. One day as he was walking home, some young gang banger wanna-bes stopped their car and jumped out in an attempt to take his beer and wallet. My Grandfather was a professional boxer (Lew Jenkins). Those three teenagers got an ass whooping, a-la Second-Hand Lions, that I'm sure they are still talking about nearly 40 years later.

Moral of the story, don't fight old men. If they can, they'll kick your ass. If they can't they'll shoot ya!

Similar story with my cousin in Roundup, Montana. The family was at a diner having dinner and some loudmouth kept running his mouth with all sorts of foul language. My cousin asked him to cut out his cursing. The fellow continued to curse and my cousin walked over to him, grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off his chair. Then he explained how he would beat him senseless if he didn’t shut up, causing the malefactor to piss his pants.

My cousin resumed his meal without throwing a single punch. However, he did box extensively in golden gloves in the 1950’s and his brother did punch Cassius Clay in the face a few years earlier in a Golden Gloves match before the 1960 Olympics…

No saying your cousin was wrong. He did however commit assault and could have been charged.

When that happened no charges would have been filed. Frontier justice still existed in Montana in those days.

Today is a different story and we as a society have decayed something awful…

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.