Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
After becoming fed up with Leupold drama in my life I began searching for a replacement scope brand and model. I need something in a reasonable power range, with a simple uncluttered reticle, and looks at least half decent. I also wanted good glass and not too much weight. Two weeks ago my search came to a successful conclusion with the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with German #4 reticle. I should've had one of these years ago.

[Linked Image]

This is a 30mm tube, 14 oz scope. It's on my Stainless Classic Model 70 9.3x62. I find it has excellent glass, eye box, and eye relief. Unlike the typical Leupold experience I was able to get it zeroed with only three rounds. It adjusts honestly. I find the reticle to be outstanding for deer hunting in the woods. In fact, the reticle works fine out to 300 yards for me. I've killed one buck with is so far; a chunky fellow who tried to sneak away from my still hunting but stopped about 60 yards out, a wee portion of his neck showing through a window in the brush on a gloomy day. The rifle came up, and those bold horizontals led my eye to that wonderful green dot, which promptly perched itself on a fist size gob of hair. Next thing I know, there's a bang and a buck flopping around in the moss.

This is kind of a pricey scope compared to what I'm used to, but I need at least two more of them for other rifles so I'll need to watch for sales. For what it's worth the way this reticle is pictured on Trijicon's website is totally different from how it actually is. That minor fact kept me from trying one for the last couple years. My loss then, but no more.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trijicon doesn't do the best job showing the real reticles on their website, but I also like those little green dots. A lot of my hunting is done from blinds, so the fiber optics don't come into play so much, but the Tritium is legit for those last 10 minutes of legal light. If you can still make out an animal's silhouette, you can drive the dot with no problem.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the picture....looks like the timber I play in. Ill have to check them out.

Yup.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Been casually looking for the appropriate scope for my 9.2X62. Also a M70 but blued and LH. This is on the short list along with the 3-9X40 version. Can't decide between the two.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Your picture is better than the Trijicons I looked through in Cabela's last year. I was hoping to buy one, but of all their scopes I looked though the optics were not as good as the Leupold's and the dot was barely visible. In the future if I can find one that is as good as what you are showing I may buy it.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
That pic is just what I could pull of with my phone while the rifle sat on a log. The dot appeared brighter than what the pic shows. The brightness is adjustable anyway. The glass quality is better than my VXIIs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of those little green dots put down a buck for me last week, albeit in a 3-9, but also on an M70, an EW .308.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Trijicon makes great gear.

Looks like a nice set up.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use their green triangle version a LOT….once you get a feel for it, it works probably better than anything else for fast AND low light, for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a good experience with a 3-9x40 green dot Accupoint on an African hunt in September. Good scopes.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information! I’ve been looking at the same scope and the picture of the reticle is much better than on their site.

The relatively shortish 3.2” eye relief was my only other concern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Your picture is better than the Trijicons I looked through in Cabela's last year. I was hoping to buy one, but of all their scopes I looked though the optics were not as good as the Leupold's and the dot was barely visible. In the future if I can find one that is as good as what you are showing I may buy it.

Inside a store is a terrible place to judge optics. As to the Accupoints visibility, again inside isn’t where they’re designed to work. They need skylight for the fiber optics, or darkness for the tritium to be visible, and then it’s only visible enough to identify your aiming point. Last week I made it to my stand while it was still dead dark and while waiting for shooting light I periodically looked around in the heavy cover through my 3-9x40, hardly a night scope. A couple of minutes before legal light, I took a good look around and that green dot was visible against anything that I could have shot, though I might have had trouble avoiding branches and other obstructions at the edges of my field of view. Once there was some skylight, the FOs made the dot readily visible and it stood out nicely on the sticking spot of the buck that showed up at 0915. Battery models give better control of the illumination, but………require batteries.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/02/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Thanks for the information! I’ve been looking at the same scope and the picture of the reticle is much better than on their site.

Maybe I’m unusual, but I don’t find anything lacking with the eye relief on the 1-4. Another bonus compared to many scopes today is there’s plenty of mounting space.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by Sixpack

Maybe I’m unusual, but I don’t find anything lacking with the eye relief on the 1-4. Another bonus compared to many scopes today is there’s plenty of mounting space.

Many thanks for all of the information you have given. I’m going to pick one up after hunting season for next year. I’m finding more and more usefulness for this type of scope for where and how I hunt: River bottoms, pine thickets, and woods where you can’t see more than 100 yards unless in a cutover or pushed lane.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a 3-9 Accupoint with the green dot and mil dot reticle, it’s a great scope for a light weight hunting rifle. The green fiber optic is very easy to see unlike the green LED.

I have 2 Accupower’s with the red segmented circle dot and the glass seems to be a bit better than my 3-9 but the red illumination is only daylight visible.

I recently bought an Ascent 1-4 to put on a 10/22 and am very pleased with it.

Then I bought a Credo HX 1-6 with hunter holds and that red dot is daylight bright, almost Aimpoint bright. The glass on this one is a jump above the 1-4’s I have.

Trijicon has been great for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the Credo HX. I have the same one as TWR on my Grendel and couldn’t be more pleased. The green led, btw, has almost three times the battery life as the red. Not sure about the comparative brightness.

Shot my other deer with that one in October, and the dot was very useful as she was in very deep shadow.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea that one was on my list too! I really like the way the AccuPoint #4 reticle looked. Any chance I can get an actual shot of the reticle on the credo? It’s very similar looking to a number 4 with a BDC type holdover, but slimmer horizontal and lower vertical plex, at least from pics I saw.

Very interested in each

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would also assume the Credo has better glass than the AccuPoint as well?

Eye relief is better

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just bought a 3x9 with green dot to replace a moving zero Leupold VX3.
Anxious to get it mounted. Just looking through it outside on a rainy dark day it looked like it had better glass.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a 1-6x24 Credo about a year ago. It was a decent scope, but I was getting ready for an African hunt and didn't feel that the illumination was bright and bold enough for buffalo hunting in very sunny conditions.

I ended up selling it and getting a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 which has a much bolder reticle and brighter illumination. On my .375 H&H the Leupold performed very well on 2 buffalo and an eland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.