Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Moved on past the 'woe is me' stage I see.

Indeed I have. Situation has changed dramatically. Hope you are glad for me. Thanks for asking.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Originally Posted by Raeford
Moved on past the 'woe is me' stage I see.

Indeed I have. Situation has changed dramatically. Hope you are glad for me. Thanks for asking.

Well GFY

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The sockpuppet is transforming into his final form, watch closely

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MrWilson
Originally Posted by hillestadj
If I ordered a $100 steak or a $10 dollar burger same amount of trips back and forth no? Why does burger waitress get $2 but steak gets $20?

Exactly !
That’s why they’re encouraged to ask “if you saved room for dessert” to drive up the bill on drinks, appetizers, and desserts.

I never give any thought to cash tips over a card but it sounds like cash is the better option. I usually tip a higher ratio on a cheap meal to balance things out some or at least make it worth the servers time. Usually around 25% tip in a restaurant. I’m easy to wait on. Take my order, refill my pop at least once and bring me the check when we’re done, that’s about it. Pretty hard to screw that up. I’m not someone that goes out to dinner looking for things to ding the waitstaff over.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I delivered pizzas in Rigby while in college. I once delivered 33 orders in one night and made about $2.50 in tips. I hated that cheap ass town and now I live there. Never ceases to amaze me just how cheap some people can be. Everyone should work for tips at some point in their life.

I once had a guy yell at me for not bringing my money bag to the door with his $49.65 order. Just couldn't carry it with 4 pizzas and salads etc. He demanded I go get my bag before he paid me. Then he gave me a $50 and waited anxiously for his 35 cents in change.

I quit about then because I knew if I had another delivery to that house I'd be including the secret sauce. He was 8 miles out of town in Lewisville to make it even better. Some people are so damn cheap. Marginal service deserves at least 10 %, decent service 20%, good service above that. Although I do not always tip for someone who just rings up your take out order.

It does get a bit fatiguing that everyone wants a tip for just ringing you up. If I'm eating in and they are actually serving me I tend to tip well. If I'm walking into little ceasers to pick up a hot and ready and it's not ready I'm not going to tip 20% for ringing me up. Not everyone gets a trophy.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Smells more like Old_Toot/Houston running a spare than Cardonas.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Paint your canoe black

It will never tip

I've heard them referred to as "Spodas". Spoda tip but don't.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't America like the Only Nation On Earth that waitstaff subsist on tips???

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by DaveR
Originally Posted by slumlord
Paint your canoe black

It will never tip

I've heard them referred to as "Spodas". Spoda tip but don't.

They drink good stuff too. Noticed a group come into a bar awhile back, downed some quick shots of Patron, tab was 60 something bucks. Didn't tip squat. Not to mention, come meal time, most find issue with something and expect a free meal, and of course, dont tip.

Tipping is racist according to them, it was a way for an employer to pay someone a minimal amount after slavery ended and expect the consumer to pay most of the "salary".

Last edited by killerv; 12/01/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

How do the eateries make a go of it?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Teal
Houston 2oot

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I enjoy tipping

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I agree IronBender.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 12/01/22.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Teal
Houston 2oot

That's been my thought as well

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cash and tip goes to waitress.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Since this got bumped up I’ll contribute some updated info….a local small business here is owned by a lady I know and she has a small staff of young ladies that are very good and very professional for what they do. All the girls make $15 an hour so it’s the tips that they’re really hoping for. The main full time gal made $160,000 last year!….and not because she worked any overtime. She never makes less than $300 in a 6 or 7 hour shift. Another young lady there works part time and at 16 is bringing home $75-$100 for a 4 or 5 hour shift. That young lady is able to save her paychecks untouched and live comfortably on the tips she makes in her part time job.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Just like every other business, they pay their employees a wage and charge enough to cover the costs & make a profit.

I travel overseas for a living and no other place does the crazy tipping thing like the US. In most of Asia you don’t tip at all, it’s considered insulting. In Europe it’s just leave the change usually, more than 5% would be excessive. The touristy places who see a lot of Americans get hooked on the 20% plus thing though.

The US system is an outgrowth of our Harvard MBA greed at any cost mentality. Businesses figured out years ago they could shift the labor cost of their employees onto the customers and shame the customer into paying it by painting them as cheapskates if they didn’t go along. It worked and now it’s become a badge of honor to try to outdo the neighbor on how much you can tip. Meanwhile the business owner is laughing all the way to the bank because he got a bunch of suckers to take over the cost of paying his labor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How is - "Businesses figured out years ago they could shift the labor cost of their employees onto the customers" different than "Just like every other business, they pay their employees a wage and charge enough to cover the costs & make a profit"- given its the customer paying in both instances.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Just like every other business, they pay their employees a wage and charge enough to cover the costs & make a profit.

I travel overseas for a living and no other place does the crazy tipping thing like the US. In most of Asia you don’t tip at all, it’s considered insulting. In Europe it’s just leave the change usually, more than 5% would be excessive. The touristy places who see a lot of Americans get hooked on the 20% plus thing though.

The US system is an outgrowth of our Harvard MBA greed at any cost mentality. Businesses figured out years ago they could shift the labor cost of their employees onto the customers and shame the customer into paying it by painting them as cheapskates if they didn’t go along. It worked and now it’s become a badge of honor to try to outdo the neighbor on how much you can tip. Meanwhile the business owner is laughing all the way to the bank because he got a bunch of suckers to take over the cost of paying his labor.

But as I understand it, if the prices included the actual cost of paying the help they would be so high that no one would consider paying them, and the business would fail - why does this not happen in the rest of the world? (Not arguing with you as you make perfect sense.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
I enjoy tipping
Why?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.