Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Trying to help out a friend at Hunt Camp. He Has a Ruger 77 Mark II 300 WSM, and the trigger is factory original, and must be 6-8 lb. pull.
I haven't checked it yet but it's a hard pull trigger.
What have you guy's used to replace yours with!
Thanks in advance.
HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have replaced two with a Timney trigger. I polished the factory trigger where the sear contacts it and installed the aftermarket sear and spring and got a great trigger both times with far less work than fitting the trigger.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Interesting. i
I see there's a few replacement triggers offered. Timney being one of them.
Thanks
HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is how I did mine. Just a little polishing and a slight chamfer with an oil stone is all that is needed to get an excellent trigger pull:

Attached Images
trigger.gif (12.9 KB, 298 downloads)

God Bless America
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
This is how I did mine. Just a little polishing and a slight chamfer with an oil stone is all that is needed to get an excellent trigger pull:

With that being said. what do you think your trigger pull was when finished?

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Timney kicking around for a mark 2...light stoning did the same thing as dropping the Timney in. Ended up a little over 3 lbs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

HS 58

Be careful following that diagram to the letter. I find that it is a bit too much. I'll file, stone and polish, but not take quite as much material. Also a lighter spring helps with pull weight. The way I do them leaves more sear engagement, which makes it safer than the diagram shown. I shoot for a 2.5 pound pull weight, with very minimal creep. After polishing the sear engagement it is also very smooth. I don't know how many guys actually have the proper tools to measure the notch depth. I don't take as much off the trigger or sear, so be warned.. Always test afterwards too. I've seen some guys take too much and you can actually push the cocking piece forward with your thumb.. You definitely don't want that, as that is an unsafe condition. If you don't feel confident in doing it right, take it to a smith.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

HS 58

Be careful following that diagram to the letter. I find that it is a bit too much. I'll file, stone and polish, but not take quite as much material. Also a lighter spring helps with pull weight. The way I do them leaves more sear engagement, which makes it safer than the diagram shown. I shoot for a 2.5 pound pull weight, with very minimal creep. After polishing the sear engagement it is also very smooth. I don't know how many guys actually have the proper tools to measure the notch depth. I don't take as much off the trigger or sear, so be warned.. Always test afterwards too. I've seen some guys take too much and you can actually push the cocking piece forward with your thumb.. You definitely don't want that, as that is an unsafe condition. If you don't feel confident in doing it right, take it to a smith.

I totally agree BSA!
That's why I'm taking my time with this and going to make the right choice. Cautioning on the side of error leaving material on is great advice if I go that way.
I appreciate all the comments, and advice.
Thanks,
HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My trigger pull measures 2 lbs 8 oz. I also tried a reduced power trigger spring but it was too light.

It's very easy to remove the trigger to work on it. I would polish first, reassemble and check the pull. Chamfer and adjust angle if needed.

God Bless America
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I really appreciate all the good advice and view points here.
I read on a forum last night searching for as much info, and working knowledgeable opinions, as possible,
and one gentleman exclaimed that he would lean towards replacement, (Timney), verses stoning the original, because the Timney could withstand thousands of more rounds
vs. Stoning and possibly only able to last until 500-1000 rounds.
I'm having a hard time swallowing that one!
I like hearing from actual shooters who have done it and use and test their work through shooting and Hunting, as I do.
I strongly agree as I said earlier, with BSA, to be careful in not taking too much material off!
The Illustration above that UA, posted is very good to help understand, as the trigger is easily accessible, and I'm confident in my workmanship,
and my ability to test it safely afterwards, as it's very important to do the workmanship correctly.
I did read where Ruger's first Model 77's had adjustable triggers, but went with this harder pull trigger on their Mark II, Rifles do to frivolous Lawsuits,
and such.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the Mark II trigger, have done the trigger work on many of them to get a crisp pull of close to 3#. I only had one in which I went too far, so I installed a Timney. Worth doing, but I’d be ready to stop as you approach 3#.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Timney, a little work cutting in that notch but wasnt that bad.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GF1
I like the Mark II trigger, have done the trigger work on many of them to get a crisp pull of close to 3#. I only had one in which I went too far, so I installed a Timney. Worth doing, but I’d be ready to stop as you approach 3#.
Originally Posted by killerv
Timney, a little work cutting in that notch but wasnt that bad.

More Great info Guy's.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

HS 58

I totally agree BSA!
That's why I'm taking my time with this and going to make the right choice. Cautioning on the side of error leaving material on is great advice if I go that way.
I appreciate all the comments, and advice.
Thanks,
HS 58

Good luck with it man. I hear you about those triggers. My first Ruger m77 mkII I bought was a 300wm. I bought it for elk hunting and I had nightmares about not being able to pull the freaking trigger when a big bull showed up. That is when you know the trigger is horrible. If I remember right, it had an 8 pound pull!!!! I still have that rifle and it is a sweetheart now. The last one I did was a few months back on a nice little stainless 300RSAUM. I let my buddy shoot it and he wanted to buy it on the spot. He's on the local SWAT team, so he knows what a good trigger feels like.. ha ha.. Don't freak out if you take too much material off, you can find good factory trigger and sear sets on ebay for less than $40. Don't ask me how I know that. I think the last ones I bought were $25.00.. Also remember the lighter spring trick. Do that first and check pull weight. Some only need a very minimal amount of polishing to get you down to where you want. However, It sounds like your buddies is like my first one. It may need more stoning and polishing than others...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks again, BSA, I'm on it!

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got a lighter Spring coming, and will stone a little off and test from there.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had one I overdid on polishing it down.. so I replaced with a Dayton Traister..Turned out pretty darn good 3 pounds or so.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That's good to know

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got a lighter spring, and just a light stoning, after checking the pull by installing the Spring first, and Walla.
Very happy with the outcome, and the cost of about $12 Bucks.
Called my Buddy and he's on his way over, to pick it up.
About a 2 1/2- 3 lb. pull now, and less than 1/2 of what it was before!

Thanks again Guy's!!!

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Got a lighter spring, and just a light stoning, after checking the pull by installing the Spring first, and Walla.
Very happy with the outcome, and the cost of about $12 Bucks.
Called my Buddy and he's on his way over, to pick it up.
About a 2 1/2- 3 lb. pull now, and less than 1/2 of what it was before!

Thanks again Guy's!!!

HS 58

Very good. That's how I like them. Sometimes you don't get that lucky, but you always hope it's that easy. Glad to hear you didn't have to take too much material off, keeping it safe. Your buddy is going to love it..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.