[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Stonyridge lines?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good photos, great looking dogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking dog Mbogo. I have a bias for them lol.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Greenomics,
He’s a Drahthaar from Mark Heuer’s kennel (Vom Heuerhaus). 30338 has a litter mate to him.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just got this little girl back in August. She just turned six months old. Big things for her if she does well with testing next year

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet looking pair of dogs there. Looks like the pup is a fast learner.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kurt,
She’s been a blast. Only drawback is now I have to keep an eye on two dogs instead of just Hank😁

Btw, how’s Harvey working out?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
great looking dogs guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harv is a great dog and simply due to my schedule hasn't had the bird work he deserves. His first year, KS bird numbers were off but he got into quite a few pheasant and bobwhites. A few ducks in Nebraska. Last year we came down with covid in mid Nov and I only birdhunted 1 day. That stuff was rough on me.

This year I drew a sheep tag and some good deer tags. So the poor guy has only hunted 3.5 days so far this year. Hope to get some more trips in.

Enjoyed your pics, you guys are lighting them up!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sorry to hear about your bout with the “vid”. Glad to hear you survived at least. I saw your ram and deer in the other forums. That’s awesome. Good to hear about your dog too. I talked to Mark at the Armbruster a couple of months ago and looks like he had another litter this year as well. He said he was going to try and get updated on the J litter and see how they were faring. I’m going to try and run this pup at Nunn again this spring for her VJP.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That pup should do really fine with her VJP. Nice to run them in that after a hunting season. Makes it really easy I think. Good luck with the rest of your season.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Grifs need to have a job....their mind is most always going and are not just a couch dog. I believe their nose is second to none. They are opinionated and ours will squint at you to let you know she doesn't agree with you. They have an excellent build and stature as well as strength. Really investigate your breeder....we did and were still really screwed by him. He's in Choteau, MT by the way. As far as a Lab, I have owned and trained four. The Labs I buy are not your typical Modern "American" Labs.....which means that they are not "Collar" dogs. I don't use the collar as I have not been trained in it's use and am not a professional trainer. My dog now is 5 years old and very athletic build at about 65#. Very "Kind" and "Cognitive" eyes, is soft but eager, is a listener. I was told by a man, that made his living with Labradors since the late 1940's, the best training opportunities come about while hunting and you need to seize the moment. He believed that this was where most people goof up. I agree-you absolutely need to take the time to train to the situation while hunting. This really helps strengthen you relationship and finishes your dog. THe photo is my dog, Buddy, a couple weeks ago. .....he's watching birds working as I screw around for a photo. We also do a lot of Grouse and Pheasant hunting .

Attached Images
IMG_1829.jpg (19.89 KB, 171 downloads)
Last edited by mauserfan; 12/02/22.

RAVENS & WOLVES
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the information Mauserfan. It sounds like our labs have a similar build and drive

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Grifs need to have a job....their mind is most always going and are not just a couch dog. I believe their nose is second to none. They are opinionated and ours will squint at you to let you know she doesn't agree with you. They have an excellent build and stature as well as strength. Really investigate your breeder....we did and were still really screwed by him. He's in Choteau, MT by the way. As far as a Lab, I have owned and trained four. The Labs I buy are not your typical Modern "American" Labs.....which means that they are not "Collar" dogs. I don't use the collar as I have not been trained in it's use and am not a professional trainer. My dog now is 5 years old and very athletic build at about 65#. Very "Kind" and "Cognitive" eyes, is soft but eager, is a listener. I was told by a man, that made his living with Labradors since the late 1940's, the best training opportunities come about while hunting and you need to seize the moment. He believed that this was where most people goof up. I agree-you absolutely need to take the time to train to the situation while hunting. This really helps strengthen you relationship and finishes your dog. THe photo is my dog, Buddy, a couple weeks ago. .....he's watching birds working as I screw around for a photo. We also do a lot of Grouse and Pheasant hunting .

you should name the guy....no sense anybody else getting screwed over.....also it will not cast doubt on anybody that isnt him....bob

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

great looking griff
You have to get your dog on as many wild birds, ducks as possible the first few years of its life. Thats a good point regarding hunting and training

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Centurion75
We have been searching for months for our next dog and keep coming back to a Griff or another Lab. I have a lot of experience hunting over both American and English labs and know "ballpark" what I may be getting into with either of these.

A Griffon, not so much, very rare in my area and hard to come by first hand experience. I have been to tons of websites and breeder sites but still would like to hear how they differ from a Lab around the house, and In the field, from those who have had both.

I am looking for info on Field Bred "American Lab" vs Wirehaired Griffon in terms of trainability, daily exercise requirements, etc. My wife is very nervous that a Griff would be even more high strung than a field bred lab.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide

The first few years up to 3 or 4 griffs are very energetic. and can be a handful. Need a round an hour of good exercise a day. If you're not an experienced do owner Id go with a lab

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went through the same decision making about 10 years ago. I had always had pointers and GSP's. I ended up buying a Chessie.
BAD decision! Lol. Actually, once I figured her out, I loved that dog and hunted her often. I really missed having a pointer. She died, way too young do to a really bad accident on the farm. My Father has 2 - 1 year old GSP's that I do most of the work with. Great dogs! But they are full bore GSP. I really think that when I personally am ready to pull the trigger on a new dog, It will be a WPG. I think they seem to be what I've been after for a long time, I just didn't know it.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RUM7
I went through the same decision making about 10 years ago. I had always had pointers and GSP's. I ended up buying a Chessie.
BAD decision! Lol. Actually, once I figured her out, I loved that dog and hunted her often. I really missed having a pointer. She died, way too young do to a really bad accident on the farm. My Father has 2 - 1 year old GSP's that I do most of the work with. Great dogs! But they are full bore GSP. I really think that when I personally am ready to pull the trigger on a new dog, It will be a WPG. I think they seem to be what I've been after for a long time, I just didn't know it.

Sorry to hear about your dogs accident. it's never easy losing a dog.

My buddy had two Chessies when we were younger. Interesting and determined breed, I never got to hunt over them but I'm pretty sure they would have been fearless and dedicated in the field.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Talked with a WPG breeder that I have been on the waiting list with. Female due begining of Jan. so depends on how many pups and what gender (luckily dogs only have 2). Should hear sometime soon if I make the cut. If this one doesn't work out have a pudelpointer breeder I also talked with the past year but no buns in the oven yet that I know of.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

you should name the guy....no sense anybody else getting screwed over.....also it will not cast doubt on anybody that isnt him....bob

mauser...would you name the guy to stay away from....bob

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
446 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.