Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
George AKA the Montreal moron is an idiot with a long history of stupid comments. Open sights on hard kicking doubles is the norm. Anyone ever hear of their sights shifting due to recoil? .375 recoil is mild and to worry about iron sights shifting is simply asinine.

Last edited by jdollar; 11/28/22.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I second that emotion. A complete buffoon...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I would be hard pressed to improve upon my 416 Rem M70 as a dangerous game rifle. Not too heavy, balances where I like it and is accurate enough for anything I will and have hunted with it. A McM Winchester Express stock, Williams extractor, bolt handle welded and Jim Wisner's front and rear sights, the latter being a copy of the pre-64 M70 Express sight. It's 100% reliable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hi EdM, good shooting!

Just curious, how many yards away it that target? and how long is your average shot in Africa?

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458Win
Under stress you instinctively revert to the familiar.

I screwed up by switching to a “new to me” Winchester 70 after many years of shooting and hunting with Remington 700’s. That might have been my first model 70, I’m not sure. I shot that model 70 quite a bit at the range, but never was in a hurry to take the safety off. I had buck and bull tags in Colorado. It was snowing and was three a.m. when I got where I wanted to be on a mountain near Grandby. First light a large buck got up within 50’ of me and disappeared in short order. I was pushing the safety foreword as the mule deer disappeared. I wasn’t stressed as in danger, but that rack and me being too slow to shoot - trying to take the safety off is a memory I’ll not forget. Being familiar with your rifle, in my opinion, trumps bolt, lever, or double.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by EdM
I would be hard pressed to improve upon my 416 Rem M70 as a dangerous game rifle. Not too heavy, balances where I like it and is accurate enough for anything I will and have hunted with it. A McM Winchester Express stock, Williams extractor, bolt handle welded and Jim Wisner's front and rear sights, the latter being a copy of the pre-64 M70 Express sight. It's 100% reliable.

Hi EdM, good shooting!

Just curious, how many yards away it that target? and how long is your average shot in Africa?

The target is 100 yards away. My shots were 130 yards on buffalo, 240 on kudu, 60 on bushbuck, 160 on waterbuck and 20 on cervil.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bolt of course and with a New Model 70.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by EdM

Hi EdM, good shooting!

The target is 100 yards away. My shots were 130 yards on buffalo, 240 on kudu, 60 on bushbuck, 160 on waterbuck and 20 on cervil.

Hello again EdM, thank you for your response.

I have to go to Africa, I have just the rifle for it and that trip has been on my Bucket List for WAY TOO LONG!

Cheers ~ KB

KB

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd have 470 nitro express or a 500 nitro express double rifle, and hunt the big 5 till i died!!

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Boy are you guys -----BEATING THE [bleep] OUTA THIS ONE!!!!

Give it a break, move on to something else!

Hip

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I'd have 470 nitro express or a 500 nitro express double rifle, and hunt the big 5 till i died!!

Best post for sure.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would carry the one JJhack had made some time ago, wish he would post pics of it again, it was well thought out by an expert as at true working rflle, forget the caliber but I think it had a ghost ring sight set up.
Maybe he will post on it.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Since the rifle I am most familiar with and fits me like a glove, it comes up perfectly lined up every time is a Steyr Mannlicher Model M professional .30-06 so it would obviously not be my first choice for dangerous game. I would have to get a Steyr Mannlicher Model S in either .375 H&H or .458 Win Mag. I would run the .458 out to the Lott if the mags would work. I would want one of the models with the extra mag on the butt. Get lots of ammo and practice a lot. Either would be fitted with a low power scope in QD mounts

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I had a model M professional.It was my first rifle and was a gift from my dad.It was chambered for the 270 win.It had its issues.One being the plastic magazine, plastic parts in its trigger that solvents ate up and an awkward butter knife shaped bolt handle that would interfere with my forearm and lift slightly upwards when I would wear a coat and cause the rifle not to fire.Despite that I loved it.The original Steyr mounts I had on it were awesome and always kept their point of aim.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/09/22.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have been lucky and not had any mag problems with any of the “M” or “MIII” Professionals I have had. I love the bolt handle and prefer the double set trigger versions although the single set trigger is nice also. I have not had one yet that wouldn’t shoot under 1/2” with their preferred loads. I have had them in .25-06, .270, .30-06 and 9.3x62mm. I am only missing the 7x64mm and 8x57 I think.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have seen a video of "swiftshot" braining an elephant with an iron sighted double. One shot dead. I don't know how many of you fellows have done that.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Did you see his video of him shooting a cow buffalo after his PH told him not to shoot? Or the follow up where the PH told him to come forward and finish off the cow he shot illegally? It makes for interesting viewing…. Of course it’s difficult to find that video since he tried to bury it years ago.

Last edited by jdollar; 12/09/22.
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I had the double set trigger too.I loved it and took game with it-mostly caribou.Sorry it was not the mag. that I had issues with it was the plastic trigger guard that would crack around the guard screw holes-I replaced it many times and the gun store owner had a smile on his face every time I ordered another.It was easy to get dirt trapped inside that mag however if you left it in your pocket-sometimes I would get tobacco in mine if I had in in the same pocket with my smokes.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/10/22.
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by WRPape
I have seen a video of "swiftshot" braining an elephant with an iron sighted double. One shot dead. I don't know how many of you fellows have done that.
Thanks!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 90 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.